Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

dont know what happened!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dont know what happened!

i have an '02 M6, stock everything except a CAI and exhaust. well me and this guy with an eclipse raced three times in a row(about to post in kill section) yesterday and my car ran fine the whole time i was racing. i shifted quickly, but never powershifted or shifted extremely hard. after the races, when i'd try to shift, it was difficult to get into any gear, it grinded, vibrated, and my shifter felt very rough, even when i shook it left to right in neutral, like my tranny's guts were in a billion pieces and i had to work around parts to get into gear. once it was in gear, it ran fine. well i rode it out on the highway, just cruising for about 10 minutes and tried it again and it shifted perfectly and feels like new. does anybody have any idea what caused this?
Old 02-19-2008, 10:04 PM
Banned

Its those transmission gremlins messing with your head ........
Old 02-20-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

maybe you need the drill mod
Old 02-20-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like something's broken in your tranny. Synchros are the most likely culprit if you're having issues getting into and out of gear. If it decides to just lock into gear one day and you can't get it out, have your AAA card ready, because it's time for a rebuild.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:24 AM
11Second Club

I disagree with the thought that something's wrong with the tranny. I'd say it's a hydraulic issue, and most likely related to heat. When you run your car real hard, the exhaust manifolds will heat the clutch line and boil the fluid causing air in the line. Then you have trouble getting the clutch to disengage entirely, which makes it hard to get in gear. If you just cruise or sit for a while, the heat dissipates, and the problem resolves itself.

I'd say do the drill mod, wrap your hydraulic line with something heat resistant, and flush all the fluid when you bleed it. Old fluid will make these problems worse.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like hydraulics,

Do you have Dot 4 fluid in your hydraulics?
When was the last time you changed the fluid?
Is the fluid in the reservoir clear, dirty or black?
Have you insulated the hydraulic line?
Have you done the drill mod?

If you look at what he was doing, quick shifts, high rpm, racing, it all points to a hydraulic issue, especially if it "fixes" itself after allowed to cool down.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i think i'm going to try the drill mod whenever i have time and change my hydralic fluid. hopefully this will help. thanks a lot guys. what fluid do yal suggest i use? i've never changed it since i got the car which was a few months ago
Old 02-20-2008, 09:41 PM
Launching!

I have been having this same problem, im not in a f body but have a truck master cylinder, vette line and vette slave. Plus a f body trans. It makes alot of sense that this would be caused by heat and i never thought about it that way. When i take off from a dead stop or just any first gear pull by the time i get through the gears and am grabbin for forth i have barley any clutch pedal and its really hard to shift. My line runs within an inch of my headers and is probably even closer when the engine is torqing over. Im definetly gonna warp my **** up tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:27 PM
11Second Club

Headers tend to make this both better and worse in my opinion. It'll happen quicker and easier, but it goes away much faster, too. This is because the headers heat up and cool off more quicklyi than the stock cast iron manifolds.