Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

WESTERN/Camp Pendleton Area Members BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WESTERN/Camp Pendleton Area Members BEWARE

Just wanted to give you all a heads up. I will repost about this often as I remember to keep this near the top so everyone is aware.

If you live in the Camp Pendleton area (Oceanside, Vista, Carlsbad, Temecula), stay away from CLUTCHWORKS in Vista, CA. It is on Melrose over by a lot of the car shops. The guy who owns it is a piece of crap and will rip you off, do shoddy work, misquote you, or do anything he can think of to rip you off. I had a very bad experience, and I suggest you stay away.

I went in to him because I blew my clutch on my 95 Z28 Camaro. I had to because I did not have the tools to reach the last bolts above the bell housing. This was before I knew that you could just unscrew the subframe bolts and tilt it down enough to do it myself. Such is life, I was pissed, but didn't mind terribly. He told me he had to drop the engine to do it, and charged me accordingly, over $800. Then about 2 days after I got the car back, it died on me on the expressway all the way up in San Clemente. Since I figured he screwed it up, I towed it to his shop to get fixed.

When I called him, now he claimed he DID NOT drop the engine, after my friend and I both heard him say he did, and there was no way he could have screwed it up. All the sudden, the car with only 52,000 miles and wires that were freyed and needed to be replaced, and that it was not going to work without it. I told him while he was at it that he could go ahead and replace the plugs. All this cost me another $800.

STAY AWAY FROM CLUTCHWORKS!!!! The guy there is a piece of crap! He will do anything he can to rip you off, and then he will talk to you like he did you a favor. He is a lying, cheating bastard.

Talked to the Better Business Beureu, and they put his name on a list. But you will only find that out if you call them before using them, and the BBB has no punitive power. Also talked to base legal, and they are working on putting him on a "Do Not Visit Establishment" or something like that.
Moderators, is this stickey worthy for the So Cal people?

Last edited by lt1 hawk; 02-19-2008 at 11:28 PM. Reason: forgot something...
Old 02-20-2008, 12:10 AM
Launching!

Ok, yea i have seen that place. Also, STAY AWAY FROM AAMCO on S. Santa Fe. in Vista. I have basically the same horror story with my old Camaro. I had a clutch replacement done and after i had it done it made my hydrolic line blow. So after i payed to have the clutch done, i had to have my master and slave cylinder replaced! They ripped me off for over $1100 by the time it was all done! Come to find out that my clutch wasnt even bad in the first place! So i was extra pissed!
Old 02-20-2008, 03:35 AM
Launching!

To The Top!
Old 02-20-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Regular

Moderators, do you think this is STICKEY worthy?
Old 02-21-2008, 12:43 AM
9 Second Club

hey guys also overkill motorsports is also bad news he has rob alot of guys for alot of $
Old 02-21-2008, 02:10 AM
Launching!

As far as I know OverKill Motorsports is going out of business. Robert McDonald, the owner and only worker now hasnt been at the shop for about 4 weeks now. There are still about 5 cars that are there at the shop that still haven't been worked on. He is facing a lot of charges. I highly rec. that NO ONE go there. He has lied to a lot of people to their faces about there stuff and money they spent on parts. 98% of them are military. If people need more info PM me.

Last edited by haighter; 02-21-2008 at 03:27 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:39 AM

alright, my name is aaron i brought my car to overkill motorsports back in oct. 07. i blew my engine and i was going to have a stock 4.6 put back into it with a three year warenty from ford. after my car being there for over three months i started asking ?'s and all of a sodden i got my car back with a used engine in it. i went stright to the owner and he said, "it was a new engine." ok bull ****. the motor oil was black and all the plugs were burnt. so to make a long story short, dont bring your car there i've talked to a couple of people that have had work done there and Rob never gave us what we asked for or we're promised.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

This should be a sticky. It will definitly prevent people from taking their cars to the wrong places and wasting money. I recently spent $5700 at overkill when I spun a rod bearing.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

You should change the name of this thread to Western Members beware.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by import slayer
Agreed.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:37 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jeremy 92 RS
Agreed.
same here
Old 02-22-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tomz28
hey guys also overkill motorsports is also bad news he has rob alot of guys for alot of $
where is that?
Old 02-22-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jeremy 92 RS
Agreed.
Originally Posted by tomz28
same here
and should become a STICKY!!! so every western member will
Old 02-22-2008, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

I recently spent $5700 at overkill when I spun a rod bearing.
I still don't know how you got your car done and back with such a short time....in Overkill time relevance. You're the ONLY one to have had success that I know of. I'm guessing you went down there and threatened his life. LOL But I'm glad you at least got your car back and completed. The rest of us are out ALOT of money. A couple of guys are on deployment right now and can't do anything about it either. I really feel for those guys.

I got my car outta there just in time....thanks to CJ. But it's cost me more money in the fact Rob's lost so many of my parts that I've have to buy a second time. That guys an absolute liar and a thief. I'm hoping he's getting what he deserves with all this.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by whatsgrip?
and should become a STICKY!!! so every western member will
I sent a PM to one of the moderators.... that way I do not have to keep reposting it. I think this is the 3rd or 4th time I posted this same thread.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't PM me, but i'll sticky it anyway. Its nice to have guys let each other know about these types of places
Old 02-22-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Didn't PM me, but i'll sticky it anyway. Its nice to have guys let each other know about these types of places
I try and look out for people when I can so we don't keep making the same mistakes. I PMd Titan
Old 02-22-2008, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Thanks for the sticky!
Old 02-22-2008, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lt1 hawk
I try and look out for people when I can so we don't keep making the same mistakes. I PMd Titan
I agree. I hope our local shops take notice that the customers do talk to one another which can be good or bad to their business. Not saying all shops are like the ones we're experiencing but at least it can help a guy whose looking for a shop make a decision.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ntimid8r
I still don't know how you got your car done and back with such a short time....in Overkill time relevance. You're the ONLY one to have had success that I know of. I'm guessing you went down there and threatened his life. LOL But I'm glad you at least got your car back and completed. The rest of us are out ALOT of money. A couple of guys are on deployment right now and can't do anything about it either. I really feel for those guys.

I got my car outta there just in time....thanks to CJ. But it's cost me more money in the fact Rob's lost so many of my parts that I've have to buy a second time. That guys an absolute liar and a thief. I'm hoping he's getting what he deserves with all this.

Hey Rich, is your car done yet?

Quick Reply: WESTERN/Camp Pendleton Area Members BEWARE