Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS exhaust down pipes or full exhaust ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 02:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default APS exhaust down pipes or full exhaust ?

hey guys im taking the car to get tuned this weekend with just down pipes i love the sound and the looks i get LOL what are all the APS guys running for exhust post up thanks
Old 02-20-2008, 06:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

I heard rumors that the hooker y-pipe bolts right up to the DPs and will allow you to run whatever catback you what after. Also, some people are having true duals made off the DP's. Hope this helps

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 02-20-2008, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a custom exhaust made up for my car. 3" Y into a 4" over the axle, back into dual 3" exits with only bullet mufflers in the rear. I tried the recommended duals like APS suggested but the shop recommended this and I am happy with it. It fits, was made well, and sounds great!

I have pics in my install thread. If i can find it, I will post the link here...Got it!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=771073&page=8
Old 02-20-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have expensive b and b exhaust so didn't really want to ditch that. I alo have street pro electric cutout in my intermeditate pipe.I plan on hooker ypipe I guess. would like a stainless ypipe but think the hooker is only available coated or non coated? and not sure what other ones fit yet. Mabye in next few months will see a few more guys running ypipes on their aps setups.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:58 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

i think you can get the hooker in stainless also....

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 02-20-2008, 02:02 PM
9 Second Club

how is full exhaust on power loss compare to just down pipes thanks for the posts
Old 02-20-2008, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Mufflex Y-pipe will fit also, but i don't think they make it in stainless. The mufflex y has a merge collector on it, but then you need to reduce the 4in out to 3in to connect to a normal cat back.

Someone on here posted that they used a Kooks y-pipe with there APS kit. I thought the Kooks y-pipe was different because their headers ended in a different place compared to the Hooker headers.

A lot of the y-pipe have a less then ideal merge of the two pipes, so I would think that the Mufflex would be our best choice.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

I am planning to put cats on as well. I run through a DMV spot check every couple months, so I would hate to be caught without them.

I have been looking at the Magnaflow 3" metallic cats. They same to have good flow based upon what I read.

Anybody else planning to use cats with their APS TT?
Old 02-21-2008, 01:08 AM
9 Second Club

i dont think the cats will like the heat ?
Old 02-21-2008, 10:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tomz28
how is full exhaust on power loss compare to just down pipes thanks for the posts
Sorry, had it tuned with the exhaust on the car. But no cats.

Originally Posted by WS6 John
I am planning to put cats on as well. I run through a DMV spot check every couple months, so I would hate to be caught without them.

I have been looking at the Magnaflow 3" metallic cats. They same to have good flow based upon what I read.

Anybody else planning to use cats with their APS TT?
I have no cats now but may add them back on at some point. My car smells like an old school muscle car without them. Which is fine, but then I smell like unburnt fuel in the exhaust too. That is not cool when going to work or on a date. I wonder how much power i would lose adding them back in.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6 John
Mufflex Y-pipe will fit also, but i don't think they make it in stainless. The mufflex y has a merge collector on it, but then you need to reduce the 4in out to 3in to connect to a normal cat back.

Someone on here posted that they used a Kooks y-pipe with there APS kit. I thought the Kooks y-pipe was different because their headers ended in a different place compared to the Hooker headers.

A lot of the y-pipe have a less then ideal merge of the two pipes, so I would think that the Mufflex would be our best choice.
that was me. i used the Kooks ORY and it lines up fine. only thing i need to do was cut a piece about an inch long off my intermediate pipe cause the down pipes pushed the Y pipe back about that much. ill try to post pics when everything is completed.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:25 PM
9 Second Club

cool man thanks loving the info guys keep it coming
Old 03-09-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Pics???

Originally Posted by TNTramair
that was me. i used the Kooks ORY and it lines up fine. only thing i need to do was cut a piece about an inch long off my intermediate pipe cause the down pipes pushed the Y pipe back about that much. ill try to post pics when everything is completed.
Hey guy,Did you ever get picts of your exhaust yet?Come on man, were waiting on you!!! LOL!!!