Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Catback Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catback Exhaust

Okay, so originally I had posted a thread about the best place to get True duals, but I am realizing how expensive that is and time consuming. Now I'm thinkin I don't really need too.

I'm considerin SLP loudmouths as i like the sound and the installation I can do myself with minor to no modification to the stock hangars. My question is, is it really that simple? Also, what do you guys think about the SLP brand, any suggestions are much appreciated.

I wanna stay moderately priced, like under 6 and be able to install myself without having to buy a welder, or new tools just yet.

Also, props to the gentlemen who put up the LS1sounds site as it rocks. I have spent many a night laying on the couch strumming through all the various exhaust clips until they put me to sleep.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Tech Addict

Cat backs are easy. I've had 2 hooker cat backs and am now using a Magnaflow and love it. Someday when money is no object I'd love to have a GMMG.

The hardest part of the install will be getting the old system off. I used a sawsall to cut the "I" pipe where it goes over the rear axle.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interested in some used TSP tds?
Old 02-21-2008, 02:48 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rokko
Someday when money is no object I'd love to have a GMMG.
I freakin love mine, it make my Formie sound so badass once I got the headers on.. and hearing it on Doug's car is what made me choose it. Some of the best money I ever spent on it.

I have a loudmouth on my T/A.... and it's loud enough with the stock manifolds, with LTs on it they are ungodly loud... it has a pretty good drone in the passenger compartment even without headers... In fact, I'd say it's almost as loud with stock manifolds as the GMMG is with LTs.

I kinda like that the GMMG/LT setup is fairly quiet when you're just cruising around, but when you hit the gas it roars like an evil beast.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies. Having the the mention of the GMMG, i had never heard of that so I took a look and I do like what I see. I guess for the me I like things in excess so "ungodly loud" is what I'm shootin for.

Maybe go cruise through Bellevue once I put em on and stir up the rich folks, lol.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nherbert
Thanks for the replies. Having the the mention of the GMMG, i had never heard of that so I took a look and I do like what I see. I guess for the me I like things in excess so "ungodly loud" is what I'm shootin for.

Maybe go cruise through Bellevue once I put em on and stir up the rich folks, lol.
Well the loudmouth is the way to go. It really does sound good.... and whn you put headers on... WOW .
Old 02-21-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

true duals will be louder
Old 02-21-2008, 11:03 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here ya go, here's a comparison between my two cars... interior and exterior volume. In each video, I start the car, let it idle, blip the throttle to about 4000 rpm, and then the second half of the video is a run from 0 to about 80 mph.

Trans Am WS6 with Loudmouth & stock manifolds
http://www.fquick.com/videos/viewvideo.php?id=4965

Formula with GMMG & Kooks long tubes
http://www.fquick.com/videos/viewvideo.php?id=4964

Note that the exterior volume on the Formula is waaaaaaaaaay louder than the WS6, but that the interior volume is about the same.

When you get LTs with a Loudmouth, they sound a lot more raspy... personally, I don't like the sound... but I think the GMMG sounds mean as hell with LTs.

But hey, if it's what you're into... go for it.

Last edited by DrEvyl; 02-22-2008 at 01:55 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Just wanted to say thanks to you guys for the input. Finally took the plunge and purchased the SLP loudmouth just now. ?, UPS ground is usually around 5 days right? Hopefully i'm dyin to install cause these stock pipes aren't cuttin it. At any rate, thanks again.

By the way, does anyone know of any parts shops around here that carry Fbody aftermarket pipes. I drove around all day and got the same answer, they could order for me. Kinda defeats the purpose of I would think.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Sorry meant to say aftermarket parts not "pipes"

Quick Reply: Catback Exhaust