LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What mods to do next?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What mods to do next?

So I have a 97 Formula, 46K on the clock, with headers, catback FIPK and a HPPIII. What would be a good mod to get a few extra hp and torque out of my LT1?

TIA.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

Long tubes and y-pipe for sure. Costly and laborous but worth it in power and sound.(15-20 RWHP some say more but I wouldn't expect more.)
1.6 Roller rockers. Fairly easy to install and will get you 10-15 RWHP
EWP. They say they are good for 5-8 RWHP
TB bypass(cost's like 3 bucks to make one and its good for a few hp).

That's basically the bolton list minus a bigger TB and work done to the MAF. Neither is really needed but some say it can make a difference, hence the reason I have both. LOL. An airfoil will do just fine if your looking for just a quick bolton car. Also with the rockers if you are just wanting bolton stuff you can go with a self aligning rocker and not have to pay for the pushrods and guideplates. I would rather spend the money and go the safe route IMO though. That's about all I have on the matter. Oh and remember though, it doesn't matter how much power you have if you can't get it to the groundl. (good suspension is awesome in these cars.)
Old 02-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Cool, thanks!

I have the goods ready for the TB bypass. What's EWP? I'm not familiar with that one.

I'll stick with the headers I have, but might buy the Ypipe. I'm also planning a 160 degree t-stat and the airfoil.

Is there a walkthrough for the roller rockers? Would you recommend someone with little to no engine building experience to try putting them in?

Thanks for your help
Old 02-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EWP = Electric Water Pump
Old 02-20-2008, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Auto: get a Stall
Stick: get Gears
consider suspension work as well, cant go anywhere without traction. There not horsepower mods but there extremely important. A stall alone can shave 5 tenths which is the same as if you added 50hp.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

x2 with suspension. Get some good shocks, lca's, sfc and torque arm
Old 02-20-2008, 10:13 PM
12 Second Club

Might I recommend a NX Wet Kit. =) Or a Nitro Dave Plate Kit?
Old 02-21-2008, 05:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CaribooLou
EWP = Electric Water Pump
Ah yes, I've heard those make a difference- might have to put that on the table for consideration as well.

I've thought about some different gearing for the rear, but gas mileage might be an issue.

My car is a 6MT- can work be done to that, gearing wise?

As far as suspension goes, I was thinking a bigger rear sway might help with corners- and I might get 295's for better traction as well.

Thanks to all for your input- this is really helping me put together a picture of what to do next
Old 02-21-2008, 05:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by za355tx
Long tubes and y-pipe for sure. Costly and laborous but worth it in power and sound.(15-20 RWHP some say more but I wouldn't expect more.)
1.6 Roller rockers. Fairly easy to install and will get you 10-15 RWHP
EWP. They say they are good for 5-8 RWHP
TB bypass(cost's like 3 bucks to make one and its good for a few hp).

That's basically the bolton list minus a bigger TB and work done to the MAF. Neither is really needed but some say it can make a difference, hence the reason I have both. LOL. An airfoil will do just fine if your looking for just a quick bolton car. Also with the rockers if you are just wanting bolton stuff you can go with a self aligning rocker and not have to pay for the pushrods and guideplates. I would rather spend the money and go the safe route IMO though. That's about all I have on the matter. Oh and remember though, it doesn't matter how much power you have if you can't get it to the groundl. (good suspension is awesome in these cars.)
How easy is it to install the roller rockers? Maybe I'll pick up some even before I do a cam swap and run them with the stock cam for a while, if it's really that easy.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tspence45
How easy is it to install the roller rockers? Maybe I'll pick up some even before I do a cam swap and run them with the stock cam for a while, if it's really that easy.
I'm looking for a walkthrough specific to our cars- if I can find one, I'll PM you.

Quick Reply: What mods to do next?