Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If I wanted to clean up my own combustion chambers....

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If I wanted to clean up my own combustion chambers....

Got my 6.0 heads ported and polished but the chambers are still in the orginal finish. I want to send them out to Absolute but shipping these things out is a pain and my engine is almost finished up(or so they say ) So I need to get them done. I have a dremel and a air grinder. I feel more comfortable with the dremel. What bit would I use to get this done. This is what they look like now.
Thanks,
J
Old 07-15-2003, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: If I wanted to clean up my own combustion chambers....

purdy!
Old 07-16-2003, 04:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are those the stage II heads?
Old 07-16-2003, 07:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not use a dremel ever on a set of head's...you would be better off sending them out to Jay over at absolute speed like you said...polishing chamber's isnt something that should be taken lightly...you will need a cc buret,cartrige roll's,cross buff's,air powered die grinder for sure,and thats about it...maybe some polishing rouge if you want them to really shine used in conjunction with the cross buff's....I would get a standard abrasives kit from jeg's or summit ALONG with their cc buret and stand kit....but if you are not confident enough to finish the whole project and make sure each chamber is exactly the same size..i would ship em to Jay at absolute .....Later and good luck,

Carter
Old 07-16-2003, 08:41 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got done doing mine myself. I started with the dremel and a sanding roll but it is too easy to let it slip so I ended up hand sanding with 80 grit then 120 then 300. Not mirror finished, but WAY better than stock. Once you get started it isn't too bad-took about 1 hour per head.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sscam, thanks buddy, was that you in the silver SS about 2 weeks ago at the track? If it was you shoulda come by. My buddy with the 97 T/A was gunning for your times but you kept getting faster lol.

phenxyTA I don't know, Scott Jantzer really hooked me up on them, he did the porting for a steal, kinda took him a while, but I now know thats normal in the head porting world. They look awesome, I just hope they perform as well as they look. He said it was his stage 2 port, tho but since I kept the stock valves he said that it would hurt the flow a good amount.

10secondZ Jeez now I am not confident to do this after your write up lol I think you are right though, its a job for someone who knows how to do it.

L-Eater if I wasn't afraid of screwing them up after reading the above. But now I'M AFRAID
Thanks all,
J