General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

My mother doesn't believe that trans ams/f-bodies aren't good in the snow. back me up

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 06:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My mother doesn't believe that trans ams/f-bodies aren't good in the snow. back me up

My mother doesn't believe that trans ams/f-bodies aren't good/safe/meant to be driven in the snow. back me up please. if i can show her this thread of your guys's reasons as to why its not good to drive our cars in the snow then hopefully she'll believe me and understand why i want to get a second car. i'm going to pay for the car myself but she talks crap about how unnecessary it is to get another car. she's a great mom and all but lacks knowledge in this department and doesn't believe my reasons. and she doesn't also understand how a trans am is different than 'a' to 'b' cars. she thinks trans ams are just like every car out there. she doesn't understand why i take good care of it. so lets hear em guys. i appreciate it. thanks
Old 02-21-2008, 06:49 AM
TECH Resident

if you baby your car, why would you drive it in the snow with all that road salt on the roads? drove an auto camaro with traction control and it did ok. tell ur mom you dont want to drive it in the snow, thats why you have a second car.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:54 AM
12 Second Club

Well, they aren't good cars to have in the snow, traction absolutely sucks. Rear wheel drive on ice is bad. I lived in PA and couldn't get out of my driveway with it. You definitely need a second car if you want to be able to drive around when it's nasty outside.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by andrew69_04
if you baby your car, why would you drive it in the snow with all that road salt on the roads? drove an auto camaro with traction control and it did ok. tell ur mom you dont want to drive it in the snow, thats why you have a second car.
thanks, but i believe we use sand here in iowa. so it's safe in that department. right? or can sand f*ck sh*t up too?

Last edited by Nickstock98t/a; 02-21-2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:58 AM
TECH Addict

Rear wheel drive and light rear end = no traction and / or you off the side of the road. The tires on these cars aren't that good on snow IMO....That's what you asked for...

But in all honesty I've done it with my SS which was a M6 when it had bolt-ons and 10.5" summer only tires lol, so you driving a bone stock auto...it IS feasible that you'll manage. If you're paying for your TA and want to purchase a second car on your own dime though, shouldn't even be a problem.

If you do get a second winter beater though, do just that. I picked mine up for 300$. Get something that runs and has heat and brakes. No need for something too nice for just a couple months...
Old 02-21-2008, 07:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been discussed a couple times that I recall. There are different opinions.

However, why anyone would have the default opinion that a 350 horse power, rear-drive sports car would be at all "good" in the snow is beyond me. The stigma is that all such cars are horrible in the snow. When I go to work in any type of inclement weather, even the secretary lady says, "You drove your car in this!?"

I'm a 27 year old bachelor with only a 99 Camaro and am considering getting a $300-$700 front-drive car or 4x4 truck (Ranger, S10) as a daily driver. I make about $14 hr.

No matter what the opinion is, everyone should agree that "summer performance tires" are not safe in the winter. With an M6 and snow tires, it would be hard to call these cars particularly unsafe, at least more so than many others on the street. You have an auto trans, so that's one thing going for your argument to get another car.

Good luck.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:19 AM
12 Second Club

I drive mine around here in all weather conditions. As long as I can make it outta my driveway(I live out in the country, so it's a little worse than city when it gets nasty), I'm good to go. It's just about as bad as any other rear wheels drive car.

If your a good driver & don't freak out when you slide a little bit, you'll be fine. But if I could afford a second daily driver I would get one. If for anything else, just incase some other a-hole hits you cause they cant drive.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:23 AM
TECH Resident

Heres a link of a guy that drives his in alaska or something.... I though it was interesting. And Ive driven mine before I just choose not to and drive my 4x4 truck.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=alaska

Old 02-21-2008, 07:31 AM
11 Second Club

Saw one yesterday on I469 that slid on the ice and smashed into the median. Looked like a total.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chromeplated500
Heres a link of a guy that drives his in alaska or something.... I though it was interesting. And Ive driven mine before I just choose not to and drive my 4x4 truck.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=alaska

thats pretty bad *** man! and the best part is it still looks mean!
Old 02-21-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can manage in the snow, but I don't recommend it. I used to drive mine in the snow because it was the only vehicle I had at the time. On my way to work one day I was going about 25-30 mph, hit some black ice and the car did a 180, and I ended up stuck on the side of the road. After that I bought a 94 4x4 Blazer.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have other cars to drive in the snow, in particular a Monte Carlo SS 07 that is on lease and set to be traded with a 09. I have to keep the mileage under the lease, so driving the Camaro is needed.

I have snow tires on the car. My car can embarrass a lot of normal cars in heavy snow conditions. It's not the car. It's the tires. The car itself has its suspension modded with all the regular stuff. As long as the tires grip, it will out launch and out drive most cars out there.

Summer tires are exactly that, summer tires! To use them in winter on ANY car is suicide.

If you have to drive it in the snow, as long as you have snow tires, a disciplined right foot, AND a good amount of winter driving experience and know how, you will be fine.

Once this year, I was on a major highway, pitch black. Then it was hit by a WHITEOUT snowstorm. Couldn't see lane markers, couldn't tell where the road was and the ditch was, only the side markers indicating distance and mile markers. Based on the reflectors on the side, I lead a pack of at least 15 cars through this whiteout. The car had the traction and handling to keep 20-25mph, much faster than any of the other cars behind me. All got lead out of the storm and safe. That same storm triggered 2 separate pileups of 40-60 cars later that night and into morning on connecting highways. F-body = superman's pimp ride

Last edited by SladeX; 02-21-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

this thread is starting to be 50-50 on dont drive in the snow and drive in the snow. its cool with me cause either way its a win win situation really. so, thanks. keep em coming, though. i'm still making my decision. thanks
Old 02-21-2008, 08:21 AM
12 Second Club

Your moms right sorry. I have driven my car a couple times and it sucked. You cant do it. The only way you might be able to do it is with a good snow tire and a 100lbs of bricks in the trunk.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:26 AM

A little over 3 years ago in November we got an early snow storm here in Indiana. I foolishly drove my '99 SS to work...at that time the car had a LM exhaust and a lid. I could only go about 40/45 on the interstate to work, and 5th gear was the top gear I could get it into without bogging. At one point traffic in front of me had slowed so I downshifted to 4th to anticipate the slowed speed ahead. That didn't work too well. It sent the car into a fishtail that aimed me to the right, off of the road. The rear end quickly came around and pointed me to the left, right at the concrete median. Fortunatley, I was able to save the car and avoided offroading and drivers around me. I got to work and parked to and had the gf pick me up in the 4X4 '05 F250 I had at the time. I had to use my truck to gently pull me out of the 8 inches of snow the car was parked in. No traction control and BFG KDW summer tires were not a combo that was gonna get me anywhere in that stuff. After that mess I have never driven any of my cars in anything even resembling that weather. In fact I put all of my toys up in October and don't get 'em out until late March at the earliest. The biggest reason that I don't drive my cars in the winter or rain is because I am so **** about keeping them clean...I can't stand for them to be exposed to that terrible weather.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:29 AM
11 Second Club

snow + f-body = suck, why would you want to destroy a car by driving it in the salt?? Even if you dont care about the car they are a bitch to drive in the snow. My first car was an 83 z28 bought it in 95 with 65k on it. (wish i still had it) I had to drive it for one month in the winter till i got a second car. I am not kidding when i tell you that i would get stuck going downhill. But the worst part is that by the next year i had rust starting and the car had never seen salt before.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:29 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1crazy01
Your moms right sorry. I have driven my car a couple times and it sucked. You cant do it. The only way you might be able to do it is with a good snow tire and a 100lbs of bricks in the trunk.
Just cause "YOU" couldn't do it doesn't mean it can't be done. I have drove my car in weather so bad there were 4x4 cars in the ditches, but b/c I am a above average driver(and yes thats been told to me by others who have rode with me in various weather conditions) I never had a issue.

But then again I'm also the guy who looks forward to it sometimes just so I can go out & play in it. All you need is a decent snow tire & experience driving in the snow. I never add weight to my rear end & I never get stuck. Matter of fact its sleeting today here & I drove in to work this morning without a problem.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1crazy01
you mean she's not right. i'm the one saying t/a + snow = bad news
she's the one saying the t/a can handle snow just like every car out there. thanks for the input though
Old 02-21-2008, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

Well it can be done as I have driven mine for 3 winters, but if I could afford a 2nd car I would NOT drive mine. I put some all season tires and sand in the trunk to get around. This is the last winter I am driving the T/A in the winter. Only have 9 more payments and its hibernation time in the winter for the car. Will buy an Acadia to drive in the winter as my beater.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:37 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

To say that any car in general is bad in the snow is incorrect. Most kids with these cars have trouble in the snow because they have virtually no back tires. I drove one to HS daily. At one point I had horrible back tires and couldn't get out of the driveway in some slush and other times there was 6-7 inches of snow on the ground and it didn't give any troubles at all because I had GOOD tires.

Cars don't generally suck in the snow, drivers and tires do. That's not to say you should drive it if you worry about it, I find that the scariest thing about bad weather driving. . .is other drivers

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Quick Reply: My mother doesn't believe that trans ams/f-bodies aren't good in the snow. back me up