Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Fender cutting

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender cutting

I see everyone talking about rolling or cutting the fenders with a grinder, but I'm wondering has anyone ever tried just using a simple pair of sheet metal scissors? Any negative outcome from performing the job this way? Seems like it would be the easiest way, but I may be missing something.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think you're going to have a wicked hard time trying to cut that with tin snips. The metal on the rear quarters is pretty thick, double layer and on atleast the 04's epoxied together AND welded. I've never had much luck cutting anything with them much thicker than .040 without it getting real ugly. If you decide to do this you'll probably wind up having two buy two pairs. Both should have a pretty crazy curve in them so you're not pushing the tip of them into the lip. And lastly, the cutters will be directional, the top/bottom faces of each cutter side are designed to curl waste steel out of the way but leave the steel you want alone. Ohh yeah, you'll still need to do some grinding when you're done to clean up that edge some so its less likely to eat a tire.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cutoff wheel works great! What I used. ^^^correct, pretty thick.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Drew04GTO
I think you're going to have a wicked hard time trying to cut that with tin snips. The metal on the rear quarters is pretty thick, double layer and on atleast the 04's epoxied together AND welded. I've never had much luck cutting anything with them much thicker than .040 without it getting real ugly. If you decide to do this you'll probably wind up having two buy two pairs. Both should have a pretty crazy curve in them so you're not pushing the tip of them into the lip. And lastly, the cutters will be directional, the top/bottom faces of each cutter side are designed to curl waste steel out of the way but leave the steel you want alone. Ohh yeah, you'll still need to do some grinding when you're done to clean up that edge some so its less likely to eat a tire.
Wow, didn't seem so thick when I was looking at it last night. I have a grinder already, do you think that would be better?

Originally Posted by Buzzmanb12
Cutoff wheel works great!
What's this?
Old 02-21-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cutoff wheel is just a thin fiber-reinforced wheel, typicall 1/8" or thinner. Its awsome for cutting the lip off instead of grinding it all the way down, you'll generate much less heat this way and be less likely to damage paint or warp a pannel from it.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Launching!

So will it actually be labled as a "cut off wheel", or is that just a nick name for it? I'll be getting my wheels tomorrow, so hopefully they'll fit and I won't need to do this crap.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It normally goes on a high speed air tool, it is made for cutting sheet metal. Just look for a cutting wheel and arbor. You can use a drill if you don't have any air tools.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:13 AM
Staging Lane

I'd have them rolled before before I'd cut or grind the lip.

If you want it too look clean find someone with a fender roller, use a heat gun to keep the paint pliable and take your time.

Quick Reply: Fender cutting