General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bad vibration at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad vibration at highway speeds

the vibration happens at speeds above about 40mph, with the car in gear, and neutral. feels like its coming from directly underneath me. thought it was an unbalanced flywheel, but i just had a brand new spec billet flywheel installed, and the vibration is still there.

i do have a poly trans mount but its got over 2k on it already. balanced all the wheels/tires.

the car has full boltons, cam, 4.11s and minor suspension. not lowered and no torque arm.

this vibration is annoying the crap out of me!! IDEAS!?
Old 02-21-2008, 05:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Several things, bad U joints, bent driveshaft, also look at the slip yoke in the trans. If the bushing is bad or the yoke has a grove from high miles that can cause a vibration.

I would say U Joints most likely.

Robin
Old 02-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

the poly trans mount will always have that it did it on my old camaro and my newer z after it was put on....there is a way to get rid of it with that mount though not sure where i saw it though try to google it
Old 02-21-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robin L
Several things, bad U joints, bent driveshaft, also look at the slip yoke in the trans. If the bushing is bad or the yoke has a grove from high miles that can cause a vibration.

Robin
sorry for my ignorance, but what is the slip yolk?

and how hard is it to change the u joints on the driveshaft?
Old 02-21-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

im pretty certain it has to be the driveshaft. the same exact thing happened to mine. i just got it fixed last week. my aluminum ds was bent. put a steel ds in and problem gone. it would vibrate from about 40 and up. i would feel it a lot through the rear view mirror, e brake handle, console, and a lil in the seats.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin L

Robin
Yeah, check the drive line and U joints. If you have a SAFE way to get under the car, check for play in the drive line by trying to move it with your hands. You want to be able to move the drive line with your hands in gear, and also in neutral, while looking at the amount of play. Usually the U joint before the rear end needs replacing. If you find one that is bad, replace both the front and rear.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by badazz99ta
im pretty certain it has to be the driveshaft. the same exact thing happened to mine. i just got it fixed last week. my aluminum ds was bent. put a steel ds in and problem gone. it would vibrate from about 40 and up. i would feel it a lot through the rear view mirror, e brake handle, console, and a lil in the seats.
that is exactly how its acting!! gunna see about getting the u joints replaced and the driveshaft rebalanced
Old 02-22-2008, 12:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1Loudz28
sorry for my ignorance, but what is the slip yolk?

and how hard is it to change the u joints on the driveshaft?
the slip yoke is the front most part of the driveshaft that slides or slips into the trans, lift up and down, side to side at the front u-joint to see if any play where it goes into the trans, if its isolated to the u-joint then good, if it has alot of play inside the trans then the tailshaft bushing is bad that the yoke rides on. check the rear the same way, lift and shake, check the joint and also the yoke on the rear end as it has ears to hold the side to side movement of the joint that has the straps holding it.if any side to side here the pinion nut must be removed and replace the rear end yoke, if its just joints usually you will get a clank when you put it in gear and from drive to reverse, if no noise whatsoever then probably the yokes or shaft itself. the factory u-joints require heating to melt out the plastic that seals them in the shaft, if they have been replaced then very much easier and have clips that retain them in the shaft.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

So glad I read this thread! My cars been doing that for around a month, NOW I know what it is. Thanks
Old 02-22-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the love of god don't bend the rear crown on the drive shaft if you press out the stock u joints. Thats what I did to mine and it vibrated really badly forever after that. I just got a low miles used one and the vibes went away for the most part. Always get a little with poly mounts.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

is there any power loss associated the bad u joint and slip yoke?? as far as putting power down on the street

Last edited by sportsaddict_21; 02-22-2008 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sportsaddict_21
is there any power loss associated the bad u joint and slip yoke?? as far as putting power down on the street
yes any kind of vibration in the drivetrain soaks up a little power
Old 02-23-2008, 04:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what other damage can be caused by a bent/unbalanced driveshaft or bad u joints?
Old 02-23-2008, 04:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1Loudz28
what other damage can be caused by a bent/unbalanced driveshaft or bad u joints?
you dont want to wait to find out.lol depending on how bad it is. it can damage the trans, and or the rear end, and if you sling it out well...... i can show you pics of my floor pans.lol
Old 02-23-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gold98Z28
you dont want to wait to find out.lol depending on how bad it is. it can damage the trans, and or the rear end, and if you sling it out well...... i can show you pics of my floor pans.lol
fuuuck. i guess driving is out for this weekend. back to the bmx til monday, hopefully nothing is damaged to bad already since its been doing this for about 2monthes
Old 02-23-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

ya man. i drove mine for about 2 months and i did trips from texas to arkansas, arkansas to oklahoma, oklahoma to texas, and texas back to oklahoma. but i would not sugguest doing that. first thing monday i would drop it off at a local drive train shop to check the balance and see if its straight. once you do that, let us know what they say.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by badazz99ta
ya man. i drove mine for about 2 months and i did trips from texas to arkansas, arkansas to oklahoma, oklahoma to texas, and texas back to oklahoma. but i would not sugguest doing that. first thing monday i would drop it off at a local drive train shop to check the balance and see if its straight. once you do that, let us know what they say.
if you did all that driving i bet we use to pass on the road alot.lol i keep the roads hot the five years i was at FT. Sill
Old 02-23-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

ya, probably man. i just got out of the army at ft. hood. so now im doin some job hunting. no luck yet man.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just picked up a balanced aluminum shaft tonight, hopefully itll solve this issue.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to ask, are you lowered? I wen tback to stock springs and the vibration everyone swore up and down was a driveshaft completely went away. Smooth as an LS1 can be now.

Quick Reply: Bad vibration at highway speeds