Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.3 rebuild

I'm getting ready to rebuild a 5.3, and it will be my first time inside a motor. I'm looking for any info, tips, or advice on doing this. I'm really just going for stock specs unless somewhere along the way an aftermarket part is cheaper. At the most a cam. I've already got an LS1 intake manifold. Are there any kind of rebuild kits, or similar for these motors? What are the best books for this sort of information?
I'm sure I'll have many more questions as time goes by.

Thanks for the help,
Carson
Old 02-21-2008, 10:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How to Build High-Performance Chevy LS1/6 V8's by Will Handzel is a pretty good book with helpful information. As far as a rebuild "kit" goes... I don't think your gonna find an all in one kit with everything you need. You're probably gonna have to buy everything seperate. A few of the sponsors sell complete gasket kits, but you will have to purchase bearings and rings seperately. Check out Thunder Racing and Texas Speed, they should have what you need(probably with the exception of rings for the 5.3). There is also a wealth of info on this site if you check the stickies at the top of each section. Good luck with your build.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:58 AM
Launching!

I've heard that the intakes on the trucks are better than the F body ones. Do some research before you start, it will help you on the long run.....
Old 02-22-2008, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Thats the book I was thinking about when I wrote that question. I'm gonna get it and a few others ordered pretty soon.

I'm running the LS1 intake for more of a cosmetic reason than anything, I've read that it robs a little torque over the truck intake.

And the research is what I'm here for.

Thanks again for the help.
Carson
Old 02-22-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

heads intake and some ratio rockers and u will be makin decent power and the install is easy
Old 02-22-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im lookinbg at the book and you are right the ls1 intake less torque....the truck manifold is so ugly....chevy ls1/ls6 performance by christopher endres,, and dyno proven gm ls1 thru ls7 by richard holdner........on the will book mentioned before gives a breakdown on rebuilding the motor you should most def get that one bro...some of the stuff is prety basic but it tells you virtually everything you need to know for these engines