Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double roller adjustable timing chain install guide?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 07:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Double roller adjustable timing chain install guide?

Anyone have a guide for how to put one on?
Old 07-16-2003, 04:31 PM
FormerVendor

Default Re: Double roller adjustable timing chain install guide?

www.ls1howto.com
Old 07-16-2003, 04:43 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Put it in just like a normal chain, except you shim the oil pump out some (shims included with the kit), and you have to pull the bottom crank gear off with a pulley puller (same one you use to pull the pulley off should work for it).
Old 07-17-2003, 07:57 AM
TECH Veteran

...make sure that when you re-install the oil pump that you use a new o-ring on the oil pick-up tube and bolt the tube on the pump BEFORE you tighten (install) the oil pump bolts.

The shimms will pull the oil pump farther away from the block and the pick up tube needs to be slightly bent. Putting the tube in AFTER the bolts are installed casues many to screw up the o-ring... you do NOT want this to happen since you will have low oil prseesure and you will have to rip it a part again...

...put a rag in teh oil pan so if you drop the bolt it does not end up in the bottom of the pan...
Old 07-17-2003, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks a ton guys, I'll let ya know how it goes. We're putting it on the weekend of the 25th.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can't wait!!!!!!!!!
whohooooo!
-Steve
Old 07-18-2003, 01:13 AM
Launching!

Any tips for pressing the new crank gear onto the crank? I know there is a specialty tool, but is their any simpler way?
Old 07-18-2003, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any tips for pressing the new crank gear onto the crank? I know there is a specialty tool, but is their any simpler way?
Yes, put the new crank gear onto the crank snout. Be sure you lined up the teeth correctly. Then slip your original crank gear over the end of the rest of the crank snout so you have both of them on there. Then take a small hammer and LIGHTLY tap the old crank gear in all different spots. This will push the new crank gear onto place. You'll know when its seated all the way when the hits of your hammer against the old crank gear sound more metallic.

Another tip that I don't see mentioned, is after you have the timing chain on, and you're bolting up your oil pickup tube. Make sure you do the pickup tube bolt FIRST. Do not bolt the oil pump to the block yet, because the shims will prevent the oil pump from wiggling correctly. You'll need a little bit of play to get that pickup tube seated in there. Once that is in snug, then you put the shims in and bolt the pickup tube. Oh, also, use some red RTV on the shim that goes around the oil hole in your block so it doesnt seep out.

If you have a problem with the oil pickup tube bolt, go to Sears and buy this tool:

It will run you about $18, but since its got a ratcheting mechanism, it will allow you to hold the bolt upside down as you put upward pressure without having to take the wrench off the bolt. Some people have been able to do this by using needle nose pliers, or a piece of wire to hold it up, but I tried for about 2 hours and couldnt get it. I went to Sears, got this tool, and 5 minutes later I had it in!

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Double roller adjustable timing chain install guide?