User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

Decals/Search Suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Decals/Search Suggestion

Yes, I started a new thread for this even though there is a sticky for the search function, but I wanted to comment on something else, as well, so that's why I did so.

Anyways, a thread was recently locked that had someone asking if decals were available. It was mostly responded to in a rude manner by mods and others because there is a sticky on the topic, but the big problem is that:

1) the sticky is not in the appropriate forum, and

2) the sticky doesn't show up anywhere in the first 7 pages that I scanned through in the search function when I searched for "decals" and "LS1Tech decals", which is what anyone with common sense would search for.

The final "lockdown" response was "Read the sticky". Ummm, ok......except that we're in the User Support & Resources section and there is no sticky in this section that refers to decals. But to give you the benefit of the doubt, I'll check the other common sense sections where a sticky about decals might appear.

First let's go to Appearance and Detailing.............umm.........nope. Nothing in the stickies.

Alright, how about the New User forum................huh.......no again.

After manually going to each forum one at a time in an order that makes sense for where a sticky about appearance mods might be found, come to find out it's in the General LSX Automobile Discussion forum, not a terrible spot, but not at the top of the list in terms of places most people would go looking.

You will see if you search anything having to do with decals that 99% of the results turn up threads from people asking a question in the Appearance and Detailing section. That's a pretty good indicator that the sticky for decals should probably be in the Appearance and Detailing section. Put it in both if you'd like, but don't be a dick to people who are clearly having a hard time finding it because it's not in the appropriate place in the first place and doesn't show up after pages and pages of search results.

This to me is like putting a sticky regarding a sticky clutch pedal in the Newb Tech forum instead of in the Manual Transmission forum. Does it work there? Yes. Is that where most people would look for it? No. It's common sense guys, and the search results prove my point.

Anyways, all that said, my search function suggestion is that any relevant stickies found in search results should automatically show up at the top of the list of results. While I'm sure the rest of this post is going to **** people off, I think this is a good idea. And the one's it's going to **** off typically **** me off by responding in the manner previously mentioned, so I don't really give a rat's ***.

Joe

PS - I'll also be posting my search suggestion in the search sticky since it is a good idea and this thread will most likely be locked in some atrocious manner by a mod who seems to float his own boat by yelling at Newbs and locking their threads.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 02-22-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All this complaining and you're still in violation of a guideline posted in one of the stickies in the same forum you posted this in.

You fail.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cyphur
All this complaining and you're still in violation of a guideline posted in one of the stickies in the same forum you posted this in.

You fail.
I did it on purpose and stated so in the post.

You fail.

Some of you mods really crack me up at how into this thing you get.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I just now added it to the Modifications & Customizing section of the Appearance "Hall of Fame" Threads - Check First! sticky in the Appearance & Detailing section.

I'm not sure of another way to have a thread be a sticky in two sections.
I'll let you know if I find anything.

EDIT:
After reading the last page of that thread... I'm wondering if advertising is such a good idea. What's going on with those?

Last edited by VIP1; 02-22-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by VIP1
I just now added it to the Modifications & Customizing section of the Appearance "Hall of Fame" Threads - Check First! sticky in the Appearance & Detailing section.

I'm not sure of another way to have a thread be a sticky in two sections.
I'll let you know if I find anything.

EDIT:
After reading the last page of that thread... I'm wondering if advertising is such a good idea. What's going on with those?
Thanks for your help.

I really wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything, just stating the situation as it unfolded, my opinion on the subject, and then suggested a resolution since it seemed there was a flaw in the system. And I figured after being a contributing member for a year and a half, I was entitled to an opinion and obligated to help out if I can.

I guess some would call it complaining...

And yeah, after seeing how that sticky turned out, it's kind of a shock that it's still a sticky and I'm not sure if it actually answers the guy's question in the first place, but I guess it's a place to start for those looking for decals.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

Wow, you seem to really dislike the mods here...I am sorry you feel that way.

All of this over not being able to find stickers? On a tech forum?
Old 02-22-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by XtinctZ28
There are plenty of mods I like on Tech, but there are also a few mods who think they're gods among men (on an internet forum, no less ) and who very plainly give that impression.

It's one of those situations where you don't really notice the majority doing a great job because they just kind of blend in and get along, but the few that stand out because of the way they act REALLY stand out. Notice in my previous posts I never said anything about mods in general; I was very careful to specifically state "some mods" or "certain mods".

Sorry if I gave the impression that I have a problem with all mods. Most of you do a great job.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

From what I've seen, PewterScreaminMach seems to have been reasonable and polite. Maybe I missed something in another thread. I can only judge by what I have seen.

Others have blown this out of proportion (especially in another thread where someone else asked a similar question).
Old 02-22-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

And to prove my point about this subject, and so you can see where I'm coming from, I kindly ask that you do a general search for "decals" and "LS1Tech decals" and take a look at how many "where do I get LS1Tech decals" threads have been started in the Appearance/Detailing forum, even though the sticky was in the General LSX forum. I was polite in responding to your post, so all I ask is that you give this a shot so you can see what I'm saying. In all honsty, I'm really not trying to be a dick.

I would bet money that you will see a drastic drop in the number of those posts (which have been adding up to a decent amount of space on your servers) with that sticky move.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

PewterScreaminMach, your "defense" posts are not putting you in good light or helping your argument. No offense, but I think you should quit while you are ahead.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

From what I've seen, PewterScreaminMach seems to have been reasonable and polite. Maybe I missed something in another thread. I can only judge by what I have seen.

Others have blown this out of proportion (especially in another thread where someone else asked a similar question).
I am not saying otherwise. I took his statements as being directed to mods in general and was sorry to hear that.(Just like I said) Upon review, he does say "some" and certain" so my assumption was clearly wrong.

PewterScreaminMach- you are 100% correct about the search results for the decals. Hopefully that will be resolved.

Considering that this is a tech forum, I thought that the time and effort you put into this was a bit much as they are just decals, but I do see where the confusion came from and why it was frustrating.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

I am not saying otherwise. I took his statements as being directed to mods in general and was sorry to hear that.(Just like I said) Upon review, he does say "some" and certain" so my assumption was clearly wrong.

PewterScreaminMach- you are 100% correct about the search results for the decals. Hopefully that will be resolved.

Considering that this is a tech forum, I thought that the time and effort you put into this was a bit much as they are just decals, but I do see where the confusion came from and why it was frustrating.
Sorry I came off wrong. A couple posts in previous threads kind of irritated me and I may have vented a little more than I intended to.

Anyways, I just thought this might be a specific example of a broader topic for you guys to look into if you think that various needless threads keep popping up and you're trying to figure out why. I know I saw a thread a few posts down about an infraction system to help and I thought maybe this idea of mine might be another way to help sort this issue out.

Now, back to cars...
Old 02-22-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

PewterScreaminMach, your "defense" posts are not putting you in good light or helping your argument. No offense, but I think you should quit while you are ahead.
See above post.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You suck