Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

MAF in front of ProCharger question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question MAF in front of ProCharger question

Do you NEED to connect the bov into the system when running the MAF in front of the blower? My old setup, MAF after the blower, I had the bov just venting to the atmosphere. I was told the bov needs to vent back into the system as to regulate the air correctly for the MAF.

Any comments or suggestions with this?
Old 02-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ntimid8r
Do you NEED to connect the bov into the system when running the MAF in front of the blower? My old setup, MAF after the blower, I had the bov just venting to the atmosphere. I was told the bov needs to vent back into the system as to regulate the air correctly for the MAF.

Yes, you do. Otherwise it'll go way rich when you come off the throttle from WOT.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im pretty sure if you run the bov between your intercooler and the blower (before the maf) it wont matter if you vent to atmosphere or recirculate
Old 02-22-2008, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rob_Raymer
Yes, you do. Otherwise it'll go way rich when you come off the throttle from WOT.
That's pretty much the word I heard. I'm not a tuner so I don't understand that but hey, it wouldn't be the first time I didn't understand something.

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

The computer is depending on the notion that every bit of air going thru that MAF is going straight into the engine. The computer has no way to know that the surge valve (bov) is placed in between the throttle body and the MAF.

As such, the computer is going to think the engine is ingesting all that air you are bypassing and add the appropriate amount of fuel.

In short, the inlet tract between the throttle body and MAF CANNOT have any leaks or surge valves (bovs).
Old 02-22-2008, 05:25 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ Yes, this is true. I don't understand why so many people don't understand this.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Awake455
The computer is depending on the notion that every bit of air going thru that MAF is going straight into the engine. The computer has no way to know that the surge valve (bov) is placed in between the throttle body and the MAF.

As such, the computer is going to think the engine is ingesting all that air you are bypassing and add the appropriate amount of fuel.

In short, the inlet tract between the throttle body and MAF CANNOT have any leaks or surge valves (bovs).
Now that's a good explanation. Thank you.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
^^ Yes, this is true. I don't understand why so many people don't understand this.
I'm used to understanding a MAF when it's in stock configuration. This is a new concept to understand with the MAF in front of the blower and comprehending how the air travels within the blower system. It's a learning curve like anything else.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bov? What is that? I have the same MAF placement on my car and i notice that a lot of times that the check engine light will come on when i go WOT and let off really fast. Is there something that i need to move?
Old 02-22-2008, 10:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 02' hawk
bov? What is that? I have the same MAF placement on my car and i notice that a lot of times that the check engine light will come on when i go WOT and let off really fast. Is there something that i need to move?
BOV=Blow off valve, do you have yours venting to atmosphere?
95 Pontiac Formula- Stock engine with ATI Procharger, Moser 12 bolt w/4:30 gears, Rossler trans, Neil Chance 4000 stall, M/T ET streets, 10.914@ 121.90mph, 1.452 60ft. GMHTP November 2010 Feature Car. Check it out at:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...ebird-formula/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZ1z...ature=youtu.be

Old 02-22-2008, 10:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by ntimid8r

Also, when you plumb your BOV back into the system try to keep it as far away from the MAF as you can. Having it blow back on the MAF can cause some stumbling issues as well.
95 Pontiac Formula- Stock engine with ATI Procharger, Moser 12 bolt w/4:30 gears, Rossler trans, Neil Chance 4000 stall, M/T ET streets, 10.914@ 121.90mph, 1.452 60ft. GMHTP November 2010 Feature Car. Check it out at:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...ebird-formula/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZ1z...ature=youtu.be

Old 02-22-2008, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by silver95
Also, when you plumb your BOV back into the system try to keep it as far away from the MAF as you can. Having it blow back on the MAF can cause some stumbling issues as well.
Cool thanks. I'll be sure to give lots of room in the routing of the bov to avoid the air distruption.

Quick Reply: MAF in front of ProCharger question