Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Marines...please come inside...i need some info. :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Marines...please come inside...i need some info. :)

Good evening. I've got a choice to make and am hoping that some of you Marines can give me some insight or information.

I'm going to join the Marine Corps reserve. Currently there are two jobs that I am considering. They are for different reasons and I can't seem to make up my mind. I would appreciate if some of you could give me insight into these MOS's. Any info at all: what they do, opportunities, and cons. Any info.

First is Logistics/Embarking.
This job is with 3rd ANGLICO unit in Long Beach, Ca. The pros (as far as I've been told) are jump school, travel, and a great unit. However, prior to meeting with the recruiter I'd never even tought about doing logistics. The biggest reason why I would enlist for the job is because Ive heard great things about 3rd ANGLICO and jump school just seems awesome! Also, the idea of traveling is interesting to me as well. The con is that logistics seems like a boring numbers crunching game. I hate numbers and math.

The second is Radio Operator with Artillery Unit.
This job is with BATTERY "N", 5TH BATTALION, 14TH MARINES. This unit is located in Pico Rivera, Ca. I haven't heard much about the unit. However, I've heard much about the job and I like it. Plus, they're offering me a 20,000 enlistment bonus if I enlist for that MOS. The cons are that they do not offer jump school and I'm not informed about the unit.

Given those descriptions...

Is logistics/embarking boring? Is it interesting?
What about radio operator? How is that? What kind of job do you guys think is more interesting? Keep in mind I am the hands on type of guy. I like to use my hands alot.

Please give me any insight as I am very eager to find out info. and make the right decision. Thank you guys.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

I would take the 20k. Jump school is not really worth missing out on a 20k bonus. Plus when are you going to jump after jump school? Prob. not allot, if ever.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1 ACE
Good evening. I've got a choice to make and am hoping that some of you Marines can give me some insight or information.

I'm going to join the Marine Corps reserve. Currently there are two jobs that I am considering. They are for different reasons and I can't seem to make up my mind. I would appreciate if some of you could give me insight into these MOS's. Any info at all: what they do, opportunities, and cons. Any info.

First is Logistics/Embarking.
This job is with 3rd ANGLICO unit in Long Beach, Ca. The pros (as far as I've been told) are jump school, travel, and a great unit. However, prior to meeting with the recruiter I'd never even tought about doing logistics. The biggest reason why I would enlist for the job is because Ive heard great things about 3rd ANGLICO and jump school just seems awesome! Also, the idea of traveling is interesting to me as well. The con is that logistics seems like a boring numbers crunching game. I hate numbers and math.

The second is Radio Operator with Artillery Unit.
This job is with BATTERY "N", 5TH BATTALION, 14TH MARINES. This unit is located in Pico Rivera, Ca. I haven't heard much about the unit. However, I've heard much about the job and I like it. Plus, they're offering me a 20,000 enlistment bonus if I enlist for that MOS. The cons are that they do not offer jump school and I'm not informed about the unit.

Given those descriptions...

Is logistics/embarking boring? Is it interesting?
What about radio operator? How is that? What kind of job do you guys think is more interesting? Keep in mind I am the hands on type of guy. I like to use my hands alot.

Please give me any insight as I am very eager to find out info. and make the right decision. Thank you guys.
Ok first off, ditch the idea of the reserves... you might as well just go enlisted, unless you are trying to get your degree and go officer... I know both those units. Neither are bad units, and Anglico is a cool job/unit. Embarking can be pretty boring from what I understand. I just lat moved into field radio, and I love it. If you are thinking about it for the money, that is the wrong reason. On the other hand, after the Marines, if you are a field radio operator, you will have a secret security clearance, and that in and of itself is a bonus, paywise in the civilian sector. My two cents, go radio and go active, though I might easily be considered bias, since I am both.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

active air winger here. love my job. hate reservists
Old 02-24-2008, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

former Marine here, I thought they did away w/ ANGLICO years ago.....Hmmmm.....maybe I was just given bad info. Logistics can be boring, but working w/ an arty unit is hard work and long training hours as well. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01MMMZ28
former Marine here, I thought they did away w/ ANGLICO years ago.....Hmmmm.....maybe I was just given bad info. Logistics can be boring, but working w/ an arty unit is hard work and long training hours as well. Good luck.
They did do away with Anglico years ago. It comes and goes. It was reinstated in '03, I believe.
I'd rather be with Arty honestly, just because you don't work with women. Women marines are a pain in the *** and drag a unit down. I have worked with them before. Reservists are a pain the ***. Anglico is around in the active world as well.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Hey guys. Thanks alot for the advice. After much consideration I decided that I didn't want to do either of the jobs I asked about. lol

I enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserve yesterday. I know you guys said not to, but I have my reasons. My occupation will be infantry. I ship out in late May and can't wait!

Again, thanks for all the info. guys.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Join the Air Force.
You'll thank me in 4 years..
Old 02-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Teching In

I just read that you enlisted. You can still get out of it, don’t do to MEPS. Join the AF or go to college!!
Old 02-26-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

Hey guys. Thanks alot for the advice. After much consideration I decided that I didn't want to do either of the jobs I asked about. lol

I enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserve yesterday. I know you guys said not to, but I have my reasons. My occupation will be infantry. I ship out in late May and can't wait!

Again, thanks for all the info. guys.
so your an 0311?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

FAsnakes: thanks for the heads up. However, I've made my decision and I'm sticking to it.

2002t/a06: Yes my mos is 0311. Why do you ask?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OORAH! 0300 infantry, The backbone of the Marine Corps.
Good luck,my Marine brother!
Lcpl USMC(1983-1990)
Old 02-26-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

FAsnakes: thanks for the heads up. However, I've made my decision and I'm sticking to it.

2002t/a06: Yes my mos is 0311. Why do you ask?
oh just wondering. thats my bros mos.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats have fun at boot camp. haha
Old 02-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Teching In

I know you guys said not to, but I have my reasons.
Note: I'm not trying to flame or anything by this question.

What reasons are they? If you don't mind sharing that is.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

Bolo: Thanks for the luck. I know I will need it.

jsteele90: Will do! I have to start training now. My pullups are horrible!

Pneumothorax: pm sent.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I can't wait for boot!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:53 AM
Banned

good luck LS1 ACE. if your pull ups suck do assisted pullups or like we use to do in my shop before i went to iraq, make everyone do at minimum 50 pullups per day and increase by 5-10 each week. you will see rapid improvements
Old 02-28-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good luck and thanks for enlisting.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

being with the grunts is a blast. I have worked with them a little before, and even a reserve grunt unit. I am active, but you can still ask to go active, and they will let you. I am just telling you, you will never get a good taste of the Marine Corps while you are in reserves. it is just a different world with the reservists. Since you are going 0311, you still going Anglico? They rate 0311s...
Old 03-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jsteele90
active air winger here. love my job. hate reservists

air wing all the way!! be an airframer then start flying and get your aircrew wings!! phrogs for life

Quick Reply: Marines...please come inside...i need some info. :)