Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LIFTER PROBLEMS! someone help

Old 02-23-2008, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LIFTER PROBLEMS! someone help

I have taken my motor to a professional shop because I had a lifter malfunction on initial fire-up of my 346. I had it all forged and made a 347. When these guys fired it up, it did the same thing after a couple minutes. the first set of lifters that I used were brand new COMP and the ones they used were stock. so now Ive gone through 2 cams. We replaced the cam and put new LS6 lifters, Now during the time of all of this happening, i have had 2 sets of heads, 2 sets of different length pushrods, 2 cams, new lifter trays, and all new internals, so everything has been changed. So all should be well. They get the motor in this week and it ran great. He left the shop for the initial drive and and before he could get to the end of the street, tick, tick, tick! it did it again. He is hooked on it being the block and so am I considering its the only thing left to change. I forgot to mention It has been in the same lifter every time too! It has knocked off the second lobe on the cam each time. The only thing is that the engine was initially pulled out of an 04 GTO and put right into mine. What could have happened in the time between it was running great in the GTO to the time I put it in mine and is there anybody whose had this problem before? This shop is very repuable and has built many LS1s and they went over the lifter bores in the block before it was re-assembled, but nothing was really measured, but they all looked the same. Any other ideas???
Old 02-23-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Check out this thread. Not certain this is your problem but its better than a new block

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=lifter+tray
Old 02-23-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't have an answer but check over on ls1gto.com and see if they might have seen something like this before. I know some of the "10" lifter trays had issues but those were much earlier than 2004. How does the lifter bore look?
Old 02-23-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sometimes you will have to re-torque your rocker arms, after the lifter get pumped up.
I would just go over them just to make sure, when I did my heads and cam I put new lifters and after a few miles I pulled to vavle covers off and 2 rocker arms where loose and making a ticking noise

22 foot pounds
Old 02-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

The bores look great. I personally loked at them too to make sure I saw them and I couldnt see anything that looked any different from one to another. They all appeared to be in great shape. Thats why I posted this thread because I cant imagine it being a bad block. it just doesnt seem logical because nothing was done to it in the time between removal of the GTO and my car. I will make sure they re-checked the rocker arms too. Thanks for the help. Keep the advice coming.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a chance an oil passage is blocked somewhere? Clogged pushrod or elsewhere?
Old 02-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

Got any pics of the lifter or cams?
Old 02-24-2008, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How was the oil pressure while it was running?
Old 02-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Thats whats so weird. all oil passages have been checked and oil pres. was great. I dont have any pictures but I can try and get some up in the next couple days. Im starting to think it just might be the block. I cant think of anything else to change.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Did they have "10" lifter trays in 2000? I believe they may be using the stock ones from my original. the GTO block came with the ones it had but one of them got messed up from one of these lifters failing and spinning in it. What is exactly different between the new ones and the "10" ones?
Old 02-24-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There were a few guys who ran into problems with lifters wearing out the roller and flat spotting, you may find it here in the archives or over on corvetteforum in the archives (you don't hear about it much any more). Finally, one of the guys (don't remember who) found that the lifter tray was off by a couple of degrees so that the roller was actually at a small angle to the cam. The common theme was all the trays that were found to have this problem were number "10" on the bottom. Might never have a problem stock, but with higher aftermarket spring loads and faster ramps on the cams it appears to be a problem. I found one in my 02 and replaced all of the lifter trays, they only cost about $5 each. It could also be your block, but if you have it apart and find a "10" in the trays you may want to have someone check the tray if it is installed in the offending lifter position.

Just trying to give you any information that might help you figure out what is wrong.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

thanks alot that really helps. i couldnt imaging my builder never hearing of this problem but I will deff check it out. it makes a lot of sence considering I am running a TREX. Im also gonna make sure its not the rockers considering the lifters are brand new, maybe they didnt pump up on initial warm up. How long is the normal time for new ones to pump up? could it take over 10 to 15 minutes. it was not rev'd very high.

Search this Thread