Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Just got a 04 GTO! Want some helpfull advice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a 04 GTO! Want some helpfull advice.

Hey, I purchased a 2004 GTO 6 speed and it really hauls *** (in my opinoin) and was wondering what are some recommended mods from the pros here at LS1TECH. I would like to start small being as i just got the vehicle and do not want to any major mods (camshaft, nitrous, supercharger, etc) I would like to add a K&N Air flow system (i think that is what it is called) and other mods similar to that extent. Money is not a major issue (realistically speaking) so please inform me of what mods you suggest and even ones that i can look forward to down the road. Thank you!
Old 02-23-2008, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Intake and exhaust is a good place to start. So, let's say CAI, headers, and catback, with a dyno tune. That should net you some pretty nice gains for the money.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

I have heard about "racing chips" that you can install on your car to increase the power? Whats the word about those guys?

Also whats a air flow system that you recommend? (link?)

Last edited by LemonTree; 02-23-2008 at 08:34 PM. Reason: added info
Old 02-23-2008, 08:56 PM
Launching!

I believe chips are for hondas. LSX owners get tunes. There's plenty different intakes out there, check some of the sponsors.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Do not waste your money on chips. Headers and free flowing exhaust is my first suggestion and ten get it profesionally tuned. Maybe port the TB, get a catch can if you are going to be reving it up above 3500 a lot. The LS1 in the GTO seems to bypass some oil into the IM. Also do the TB coolant bypass.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Yea, forget a chip and get a tune. For about 450 bux a good tuner should be able to pull out about 20 horsepower on an N/A motor, maybe a bit more if you have an exhaust. My first mods were an LPE intake, Kooks 1 7/8" headers, 3" midpipes w/ high flow cats, and a corsa sport catback exhaust. You'll get minimal gains on a catback exhaust, so it's your call if you wanna go that route. I did it for the sound and to make the car breath better. Next im putting in a good FI cam for my magnacharger that's going in. The better your car breaths the more you can get out of FI applications (if you plan on going that route). So it's a good idea to start there. I'm not sure where you live but keep in mind headers will make you unable to pass emissions, unless you know a guy that can look the other way. cam will do the same thing, depending on the cam. Believe me though once you start here you will want more, which usually involves another power adder (nitrous, turbo, s/c) unless you wanna stay N/A in which case you'll wanna start looking at good heads/cam packages. You can also see gains off a ported throttlebody and intake manifold (think my tuner got 8hp off a stock ported intake mani and another 5-6hp off the ported tb). But once you start doing these things you'll eventually need to replace the clutch. Textralia is a big name for us, there's also a new one that just came out which is supposed to be the end all for clutches, called Bird of Prey clutch. I know a pretty good amount about these cars so if you like go ahead and pm me. Sorry for the long post, hopefully it helps you out though.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its an auto, 3200 stall is the next step
Old 02-23-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 02-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Search what's that...
Old 02-23-2008, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GGTTOO
Search what's that...
An excuse to give the older guys an opportunity to bitch at the younger guys.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help. Im going to look more into it tmw, but one quick question. What is the purpose of the car allowing only first to fourth shifting. Sometimes a light will come on and tell me to shift from forth to first. I read the manual and it said "if the pedal is less than 21% engaged". That makes sense but it seems a little stupid. Could someone please clarify this for me? Thanks!
Old 02-24-2008, 12:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LemonTree
Thanks for the help. Im going to look more into it tmw, but one quick question. What is the purpose of the car allowing only first to fourth shifting. Sometimes a light will come on and tell me to shift from forth to first. I read the manual and it said "if the pedal is less than 21% engaged". That makes sense but it seems a little stupid. Could someone please clarify this for me? Thanks!
Nothing to worry about, its a fuel economy thing. If it bothers you, it can be tuned out or you get a plug that you plug in under your car that is very inexpensive and it voids it. All M6 Lsx cars have it.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:25 AM
Launching!

Def. get a set of LT's and a good flowing Cat-back. CAGS-Eliminator is nice as well...
Old 02-24-2008, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Instead of bolt ons you can go crazy and get some 3.91s!!! Definitely will change your driving experience.

If not then bolt ons and a tune would be best, preferably headers first.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GTO Madman
Instead of bolt ons you can go crazy and get some 3.91s!!! Definitely will change your driving experience.

If not then bolt ons and a tune would be best, preferably headers first.
3.91's definately are dope. Be ready for a horsepower drop tho.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Teching In

off topic mr.tosh did you ever get the corsa........

back to the new guy...... i would get the car checked out for strut rubs on the tires.. then i would do longtubes like mr. tosh said...... and chip that bad boy out.....lol j/k....
Old 02-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Never2mucHP
off topic mr.tosh did you ever get the corsa........

back to the new guy...... i would get the car checked out for strut rubs on the tires.. then i would do longtubes like mr. tosh said...... and chip that bad boy out.....lol j/k....
They shipped out Friday, I should be getting the Touring catback Wednesday. Can't wait. Cam, LT, Catless mids, and Corsa Touring=pure sex!
Old 02-24-2008, 02:20 PM
Launching!

I would recommend some kook's long tubes, borla cat back, and a dyno tune. The tunning you don't really need but you can get some extra power out of your car... personally I would wait untill you did some bigger work to the car like a camshaft or heads before tuning her.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GTO8522
I would recommend some kook's long tubes, borla cat back, and a dyno tune. The tunning you don't really need but you can get some extra power out of your car... personally I would wait untill you did some bigger work to the car like a camshaft or heads before tuning her.
Gotta disagree w/ya there. Anybody can benefit from a tune, especially after doing some LT's, it's gonna throw off your A/F ratio's quite a bit and the car in turn will run rich to compensate.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

headers, cai ,exhaust, tune. you can get the 1st to 3rd thing taken care at the tune session.

Quick Reply: Just got a 04 GTO! Want some helpfull advice.