Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 11:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to Start

One day i let my friend borrow my 02 ws6 that iv had for a year so that he can change the plugs for me because i had to go to work. Later he comes back and tells me if my car ever made a knocking noise. Right away i know something was bad.(my friends also told me he missed a gear and over revved it) I drove it home and Thought it was a lifter or a rod but the next day i take to a dealership and they end up telling me i need a whole new engine witch surprises me because it still turns on just with a heavy knocking noise like its in the valve train. Also something weird about the whole thing is that i keep on hearing that one of the stupid mechanics wants my car pretty bad. Im thinking he thinks im just going to just give up and sell it. (witch im not ) should i listen to them and tear apart the block and get all new internals or do you think its just a valve train problem. Either way my friend is going half $ on it.(it makes me sad just seeing all the hard work i did to purchase it and now just seeing it sitting in my drive way)
Old 02-24-2008, 12:20 AM
Teching In

take it to an independent shop for a second opinion just cause its the dealer doesn't mean their diagnosing gods
Old 02-24-2008, 12:38 AM
Launching!

Take it to a 2nd shop.

If he's paying half go all out 383
Old 02-24-2008, 12:54 AM
TECH Addict

Oh, its worth the time to pull the covers and check the springs/rockers/and pushrods, BUT if its a "knock" and not so much a light tick, its probably rod bearings.

Stay the hell away from the dealers!!! Im not saying dealer techs are not good, but you will pay twice the money, and they are usually fast to say "you need a WHOLE motor". I know, I used to work at one.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most common problem after an over-rev is bent pushrods. Have your friend take it apart and have a look. While he does that, relax, drink a beer and cheer him on heh...
Old 02-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Launching!

I agree with ^^ and would take a look.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I had a similar situation when I had a mod motor GT. Three different Ford dealerships told me I needed a new engine and wouldn't cover it [ car only had 22k on it ]. I bought the car from a family friend that worked at a Pontiac/GMC dealership and I luckily bought the extended warranty. They fixed it and said it was a spun rod bearing or some ****.

Most dealerships just want to make the dough so they'll tell you that you need a new engine. Then they try to sell you one and do the install. If the second place says you need a new engine might as well upgrade while you're at it.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Teching In

ya i think thats what im going to end up doing, take to a second source so if it is a bearing how much do you think that will cost me
Old 02-24-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change the oil. If you have serious internal damage you will see metal shavings/chunks.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:40 PM
Launching!

yeah man u should go to a shop that really now about f-bodys, have them check ur push rods. that sucks to here what happend the only good thig about it is that ur freind is going to help u out keep us posted to see what hapened
Old 02-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all dont let the guy who drove it and broke it drive it again. Obviously he thrashed the **** out of it. Old saying.. fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.. some cash from him wouldnt hurt either..

Beyond that you need to check a few things yourself real quick and stop driving it around to other shops.

Pull the valve covers and check the pushrods. Easy to do. You can do this yourself. You dont need any special tools. 8mm socket for the rocker bolt, take them off. pull push rod out and roll it on a flat clean surface. wobble = bad. could be all thats wrong.

pushrods are cheap.... just bolt the rocker back down to 22 fts lbs, rent a tq wrench if need be.. you save hundreds on labor from anyone

if all pushrods are good he really fucked it up and it's most likey junk at that point.

If it needs to be torn down it isnt worth the money usually. Buying a forged short block is the better option.