Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What clutch can be slipped out of the hole at the track?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 02:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What clutch can be slipped out of the hole at the track?

I'm still on a 10 bolt with nitto's so a high RPM dump isn't ideal for my setup. I know that slipping a clutch is harder on it but I only go to the track a few times a year so I'm not that concerned with it. I also don't want a clutch that grabs so hard that I will keep snapping drivetrain parts (twin disk) And this is for an LT1 so I don't have all the options you LS1 guys have. Oh yeah and this is my daily driver. I don't mind a little chatter as long as it's nothing too drastic.

Right now I'm looking at the Centerforce DFX, Spec 3+, or Ram HD in that order. The most power my car will ever see is 450/400 to the wheels.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would avoid the 3+, they don't like heat. The stage 5 is a better clutch, but more $.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davered00ss
I would avoid the 3+, they don't like heat. The stage 5 is a better clutch, but more $.
This is his daily driver guy, not a race car.

I have the Spec 2 clutch in my car. I have 326rwhp (basically stock). You dont have too much more horsepower so those other clutches might be overkill. I know someone with a 520rwhp mustang who used the Centerforce DFX for proabbly 50+ passes down the track. The only reason he still doesnt have it now is becasue he put an auto in it.
I've always slipped the clutch when I race. Mainly because I was always running on my stock 245s and even when I get my drag radials I'll do the same. the 10 bolt cant handle dumps on drag radials. period.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

The ram is very easy to modulate out of the hole. My friend has one on his 1970 Vette, and the best 60' time the car ever pulled (which was a dismal 1.6) was with me slipping the hell out of the ram clutch to maintain traction. The downside is that the pedal effort is ridiculous for a DD clutch. Also, I don't know how long they hold up to that abuse, because motor problems eliminated any long term testing on that combo. BTW, he had 2 CF DF clutches in before the ram, and they both failed at 490rwhp.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gametech
The ram is very easy to modulate out of the hole. My friend has one on his 1970 Vette, and the best 60' time the car ever pulled (which was a dismal 1.6) was with me slipping the hell out of the ram clutch to maintain traction. The downside is that the pedal effort is ridiculous for a DD clutch. Also, I don't know how long they hold up to that abuse, because motor problems eliminated any long term testing on that combo. BTW, he had 2 CF DF clutches in before the ram, and they both failed at 490rwhp.
Was he running the powergrip HD?
Old 02-24-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Yes, I'm pretty sure it was the powergrip which holds nicely, and can be modulated, but has insanely high pedal effort. It was the easiest clutch I've ever launched, and I think my leg would fall off if I were stuck in traffic with it.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gametech
Yes, I'm pretty sure it was the powergrip which holds nicely, and can be modulated, but has insanely high pedal effort. It was the easiest clutch I've ever launched, and I think my leg would fall off if I were stuck in traffic with it.
All the LTx clutches use the LT4 pressure plate so the pedal effort won't be a problem. Thanks for the info though that just moved the powergrip up to the top of my list.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
All the LTx clutches use the LT4 pressure plate so the pedal effort won't be a problem. Thanks for the info though that just moved the powergrip up to the top of my list.
Just so you know, this was with a mechanical clutch linkage, not hydraulic. I don't know if it makes any difference, but I don't want to post any misinformation.

Quick Reply: What clutch can be slipped out of the hole at the track?