Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H/C package arrived!! Have a few ?`s.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H/C package arrived!! Have a few ?`s.

My Stage II 5.3/4.8 heads arrived yesterday and while I was checking them out, I noticed a few things. First I noticed that the exhaust springs had two shims under them while the intakes only had one. I then noticed the exhaust valve stems protrude up above the retainers more than the intakes do and NONE of the valve stems appeare to be "even" across the head like the stockers are. Is this the norm for a Stage II valve train set-up? The other thing I was wondering about were the head gaskets. The ones sent to me in the kit appeare to be of the `97-`01 type, where as my stock `02 gaskets are the steel shim type. Are the newer steel shim type superior in any way to the `97-`01 type? I have these questions emailed to the the sponsor I purchased them from and I have the utmost confidence in there knowledge but with as busy as they are I don`t expect to hear from them right away. So I figured I`d post this to see what you guys think. If it isn`t already obvious, this is my first experience with Stage II heads so these ?`s may be "dumb". But hey, us Electricians don`t know EVERYTHING!! But just about!
Thanks,
Eric
Old 07-16-2003, 06:47 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Default Re: H/C package arrived!! Have a few ?`s.

Well, I don't know if the uneven valves thing is considered ok or not, but the past 2 sets of heads I got were just like that. The intakes and exhausts were at different heights from each other by just a little. I'm guessing the hydraulic lifter just soaks up the difference so its no real big deal.

Dunno much about the head gaskets as I've not had a chance to try out the new style yet. I'd think at the very minimum they make cleanup easier next time you pull the heads off
Old 07-17-2003, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the input jmX. I`m following your F-bod H/C swap write up by the way! So thanks for that also. Anyone else?
Old 07-17-2003, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you had the steel gaskets, you can run them again. but once you go to the graphite ones, you have to always use them.. few sponsors told me this. they all work fine, but the graphite ones, seem to have a better way of sealing imperfections... who knows..
Old 07-17-2003, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The springs have a installed height that must be held to spec.It's not uncommon for the intake and exhaust to have different shims to make this happen.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:41 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

You can run either gasket as long as the heads aren't "notched". The heads with the notch in the sealing surface cannot use the new MLS gaskets, but the graphite gaskets will work on them all. I agree that the graphite seem to seal better also, you can see how well they seal if you ever pull the heads off again. The graphite are about $10 more expensive also.

I've had a few heads that had slightly higher exhaust stems than intake, thats also why there is more shim under the exhaust springs. The lifters have allot of travel in them so that should be just fine.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the replys fellas. Terry,the heads look great and those valve springs are mean looking! While I`m on the subject of springs, what brand are these? My buddies keep asking me and I`m like...I don`t know! Now Joe, if you could just get Trevor to send me those ARP head bolts I can start putting this thing back together!!
Thanks again guys.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:02 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

I'll ask Trevor about the head bolts tomorrow when I see him.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

shims are fine the shim to the get the seat pressure they need. Up and down valve stem heights are no problem but it shouldn't be that way. If done right. they should be almost the same.If the are not then some of the valve's are sunk deeper than the others or are not as deep. This can lead to flow differences between cylinders.the machinist must have had a bad day. But I wouldn't worry about it to much.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

02 Silver Z,
The components of the heads are made for us by the companies that produce them for the major racing companies.We make the Titanium Retainers in house.I will sell the valve train individually.I thank you for your order,If you need anything I would be glad to help.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

What if you are using YT rockers...won't the valve with the higher stem have more pushrod preload?
Old 07-17-2003, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

yes,there will also be preload differences if you have stock rockers also.