Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 rebuild question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 rebuild question

Ok, so forgive the newb question but I have never had a brand new rebuilt transmission. So I ordered all the parts from sixspeedinc and brought the trans to get is assembled and I put the first 5 or 6 miles on it today. It is noisy like some kind of rotation assembly is metal on metal.

Is this the same kind of thing like when you get a new motor and the oil has to get to the top before the lifters quit tapping? Am I waiting on the trans fluid to circulate and quiet it down?
Old 02-25-2008, 08:10 AM
Banned

negative ghost rider .......
Old 02-25-2008, 11:45 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We have heard noise in the past from the bronze pads. I have had a few customers that have had noise but if it is that loud I would question it. Noise should only be in the gears that you did the bronze pads in and it should be just faint enough that you can hear it. If it is louder something needs to be checked.

Amber
Old 02-25-2008, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Noise in all gears, noise in nuetral, once i get going fast enough to get into 5th it actually starts whining. Guess its gotta come out and get checked again?
Old 02-25-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I may have the same noise, but my transmission hasn't shown any signs of grenading on me for a year now.

wondering about the noise for bronze pads since I got your package less than a year ago, the noise I hear from my transmissions is like a little rattle. Put over 15k miles on it already, 3rd gear has it the loudest although I can hear it in 2nd and 4th sometimes as well although fainter. Any thoughts on quieting it? I'm running mobil 1 fluid in it and before that ran amsoil and both seemed to have similar results. The noise for me only occurs on hard acceleration, basically WOT, I can accelerate as much as 60% throttle up to 5k and not hear it, but if I go WOT it'll be there around 3500rpm and last till 6500rpm, with 3rd being the loudest.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunantly some customers hear it more than others and we have noticed that fluids don't really help it. Liberty says that most of there customers hear the noise and it is the pad rubbing the slider. Nothing will really make it quieter. I can't hear it in the race car but that is just because it is so loud.

Amber
Old 02-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Banned

I can see a noise from the pads rubbing on the sliders and figure this is the whole reason most companies have went away from the metal type pads or metal forks riding directly on the slider . There are other companies like ZF and Mazda that still use a metal forks directly on the slider and noise is not an issue .