Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud lifter tapping help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default loud lifter tapping help!!!

i changed my valve springs this weekend and fired the car up yesterday and there is a loud tapping noise coming right from the intake... it did it before for a couple of mins when i first put the harland sharps on but then i tore back into to check and make sure everything was ok and when i fired it back up it was gone... the tapping seems to go away if i let it run for a little while but when i shut it off and then start it back up it starts all over again... I figured the lifters might need to pump back up but how long do they need? it sounds like the lifter are tapping the hell out of the cam... i didn't install the cam yet, just changed the springs.... so i don't understand why the lifters would be making so much noise.... so someone please help me out cause i'm ready to jump in there and smash the intake into pieces...
Old 02-26-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to check for lifter damage check valve lift with a dial indicator. I doubt you have a broke lifter with a stock cam although it is possible.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

then well they pump up?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the lifter preload? Also, did you check your oil level? If the noise started after you replaced the valvesprings, then something isn't quite right. What kind of springs are they?
Old 02-27-2008, 12:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

they are the newer comp cams 918s... and how do you check preload? i normally tighten them down to 22lbs then a quarter turn... and i thought maybe cause the oil was a little low but i added a quart and it still didn't go away... how's that f14 i'm going to put mine in as soon as i get this tapping to go away...