Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spohn Tubular K-Member Questions

Old 02-27-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spohn Tubular K-Member Questions

I figured as long as the engine is still on my engine stand, now would be the perfect time to do the K-Member thing. The Spohn adjustable torque arm (chrome moly, front drive shaft loop, & spherical rod end), and Spohn chrome moly tubular sub frame connectors are already on their way.

While I was looking over all different component choices that are available when you buy a K-Member, things got a little confusing. I was hoping some of you have 1st-hand experience installing aftermarket K-Members, so you could possible answer a few questions I have.

* First, I decided I might as well go for the whole enchilada, so I went with the Spohn "LSX" tubular K-Member package, which comes with upper & lower A-Arms, and motor mount stands. I opted for spherical rod-ended chrome moly upper/lower arms, and pre-installed ball joints. So far, so good.

* Things got a little confusing when it came to choosing a motor mount set-up. The K-Member comes with "LSX" lightweight bushing stands, but you can option up(?) to tubular solid motor mount stands, which, in the interests of weight savings, I did.

I've wrenched my share of engines, but aside from LCA's and the like, I've never really fiddled around much with chassis or suspension stuff. This is my 1st go at solid motor mounts, and I was wondering how in the heck these things bolt up to the motor? I'm assuming you do not need the "clamshell & bushing" set-up a typical motor mount set-up comes with?

To make things a little more confusing, I saw check boxes for front, outer tie rod ends, and front, inner tie rod studs. Would it be a good idea to replace these? The car has 24K on the clock, so I'd imagine they're still good, but I'm not planning anything but "maintenance" for at least a few years. This is the third time I've had the engine/trans/K-Member dropped out of the car, so I'm not looking forward to doing much besides oil changes, brakes, etc. for a while.

Has anyone installed an aftermarket K-Member in their ride? Is it as straight-forward as it looks, or am I getting into something I didn't bargain for? BTW, the car is an '02 WS6, M6. I'd appreciate any help/advice anyone has to offer.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Subscribing for info
Old 04-04-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man...I'm having the same problem with looking at their motor mount options. I think I am going to give them a call to see what a rep has to say. I would like to go with solid motor mounts.

Search this Thread