Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

No one has Bilsteins, on back order, what is a good shock to use

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No one has Bilsteins, on back order, what is a good shock to use

OK,

I just got my tax return and was planning on buying 4 bilstiens for my Z. My shocks are all stock and two of them are blown from a wonderful offroading adventure while on the highway.

Anyway, Everyone is sold out of the Bilstiens and they are all on backorder with no date in sight. I need to get shocks ASAP, like order them today. What is a good shock to order that will give me similar performance but not cost a crap load more.

Or, if anyone knows a shop who has a set I may be interested. but that is a real long shot.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

It looks like the Koni 4/3 is a set that is much better than the bilstiens, but at the same time much more expensive at $770. Is it really worth it, as my car is staying at the stock ride height with stock springs.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Junkie

I couldn't emphasise enough how worth it it is to have Konis with stock springs or pretty much most of the aftermarket springs out there. Koni's have rebound adjustability and control and really help this car be more comfortable over stock.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

LM Performance has the 12 way adjustable QA1's on sale, http://www.lmperformance.com/19154/1.html

If you had to choose between the two. The koni's are only like $70 more, it is not that much a difference in price but quality and performance are key. I mean the qa1 kit comes with new front springs too. It sure seems like the qa1 is a better deal.

Whadaya Think

Last edited by frey51; 02-28-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I balled up and order the QA1 12 way adjustable kit from LMPerformance. Pretty good deal considering I get the springs for the front too. Hopefully I can get it installed next week, I will post up the outcome after they are on.

Fry
Old 02-28-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by frey51
Well, I balled up and order the QA1 12 way adjustable kit from LMPerformance. Pretty good deal considering I get the springs for the front too. Hopefully I can get it installed next week, I will post up the outcome after they are on.

Fry
Those are drag shocks, so I hope you don't expect good ride/handling.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Those are drag shocks, so I hope you don't expect good ride/handling.
Yeah I know they are more for drag, but they seem to be a good all around combination.

Using the 300 rate coilovers gives you pretty good handling from what I have read. If I went with the 275 that would be for all out drag, and 325 was more for street only. The 300 gives a good medium balance of straight line and handling.

* 275# Drag Racing
* 300# Nice Ride & Handling what I went with
* 325# Firm Ride, Great Handling & Cornering

At least thats what I read, and what the sales people told me. Plus my buddy recommended the qa1 over the konis and he knows his **** so I went with his word.

Plus read this article I found on BMR's website, shows how well these shocks and springs really do
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4

Last edited by frey51; 02-28-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

There's really no difference between those rate springs. You need to go at least +-50# to be worth the effort to change an F-body front spring.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

So you guys are telling me that the 300 rate springs are too soft?

Why is it that BMR and other sponsers all say to use the 300 rate when you want a good balance of straight line and handling?

Can any sponsers or those with much more experiance please chime in. Did I buy the wrong setup?
Old 02-28-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Uh oh, impulse buy!

Those are drag shocks. You will be in good shape if you are drag racing and just daily driving. After all sounds like you shocks are completely broken from what you said. I'd be happy if I could just drive.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Actually looks like your a 1/4 mile track, daily driver type of car. So you will probably be fine.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have another car, 91 Festiva, which is my daily driver and gas saver. The Z will really be a weekend cruiser more now, some runs on the road, and not to mention heading to the track a few times a year (not every week or anything, just for fun).

Damn you guys freaked me out.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Wow I didn't know QA1s were that expensive. Thats like Koni price territory
Old 02-28-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

should have got the Konis... you'll see
Old 02-28-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

At least thats what I read, and what the sales people told me.
lol...
Plus my buddy recommended the qa1 over the konis and he knows his **** so I went with his word.
Unless all you want to do is dragrace, your buddy doesn't know what hes talking about.

Plus read this article I found on BMR's website, shows how well these shocks and springs really do
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Yes, what they really do for dragracing.
Here is a direct comparison of the street and handing differences:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....5&postcount=26
I've been in a QA1 car, it rode and handled like a boat.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, not from first hand experience but from what I have read. Koni's over Q1A's unless drag only application. I've read of many guys switching from Q1A's to koni's b/c they couldn't stand driving the car anymore, took it to the track and still performed great with the koni's. I'll be mostly street but some strip too so I will be ordering the koni's this spring myself and most likely run the stock springs on lower perch/hose mod.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dammit Dammit Dammit.

Why the hell do the people who sell these all say they ride fine. I mean I asked several people if they are a good all around setup and the answer was always yes, but I guess thats wrong.

I guess I have to get with LMPerf to exchange them for the Konis, hope they will work with me.

Dammit
Old 02-29-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Best to search first. This has been covered so many times, its hard not to find a thread with good info. Good luck with the exchange.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Dammit Dammit Dammit.

Why the hell do the people who sell these all say they ride fine. I mean I asked several people if they are a good all around setup and the answer was always yes, but I guess thats wrong.

I guess I have to get with LMPerf to exchange them for the Konis, hope they will work with me.

Dammit
Just note that you got mostly the opinions of the koni die hards in here. I am a koni die hard, but I try not to make comments on other shocks since I've never driven on them myself. If I had a chance to ride on the QA1s I could give you my perspective of them, but I can't.

Now you take your car to the track, drive on weekends, and currently have some broken shocks right? You aren't really doing any road racing or autocrossing right? I would think you should be fine. The QA1 springs you are getting are about the same spring rate as stock. You won't get crisp handling and turning that you'd get from a koni obviously, but not everyone has a requirement for it. The koni is really nice though and obviously has a lot of potential if you want to change springs in the future.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I usually do search, but I have been without my car since November so I was a bit anxious to get this done.

I went with my buddies word and the word of different sales people at several different companies, and just figured that since they all said it would be good on the street/strip I would be fine. I guess they all meant that they work fine on the street, but not for aggressive or comfortable driving. I should have been more in depth with my questions. My buddy has a drag racing mindset, so I guess I can understand where he was coming from, but I really should have just searched instead of jumping the gun and getting the kit. Live and Learn,

Waiting for LMPerformance to call me back.