Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Motor Oil to use after engine hone and break in?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which Motor Oil to use after engine hone and break in?

I'm coming up on 500 miles on the new Escalade 6.0, after the hone.. I used the cheap stuff (10w30) for the first 500 miles.. What do you guys recommend going with as far as brand and weight hereafter? I ran Mobil 1 synthetic (5w30) in my LS1.. Should I run the same? I've heard alot about going with thicker or thinner.. Some claim more power etc.. I've also heard about people running Royal Purple and Redline.. Are they worth the extra money? Let me know what you're running and your experiences with the various brands and types.. Also where do you find the best prices on these high end oils locally in DFW?

Thanks
Eller
Old 07-18-2003, 12:28 AM
Launching!

Default Re: Which Motor Oil to use after engine hone and break in?

Walmart has 5qt jugs of Mobil-1 for $18.88. Can't beat that price.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If synthetics, go with Redline or Amsoil. A good blend is Schaeffer Supreme 7000. If you want to use dino, Pennzoil, Chevron Supreme or GTX are all good choices.

Another good (but hard to find) oil is the new 0w30 Castrol Syntec from Germany. I'm also still testing out Royal Purple and may or may not recommend it, based on how my future results look (the last oil analysis showed good wear numbers, but their 5w30 still thinned out a lot in a short interval, so in the fall I'll be switching my wife's car to 10w30 Royal Purple)
Old 07-18-2003, 08:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Patman#1:
you hate Royal Purple; you even complaind so much about it on the Net the company gave you a free case of oil if you agreed to stop bad-mounthing it; why are you testing it?

I can't beleive you are telling us this!!!!!!

I suppose you next oil change will include a FRAM oil filter too, right?
Old 07-18-2003, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm testing it because one of their technical reps offered to work with me to help figure out why it thinned out so quickly on me that's why. I don't turn down the offer to get involved with helping to improve a product, what they learn from my oil analysis results could go into future improvements on their product.

They offered to pay for 3 oil analysis reports, and sent me another free case of oil, so I couldn't turn it down. So I'm giving them another chance to prove to me that their oil is as good as their advertising. I must admit, the second run of their oil showed better wear numbers, although it still thinned out a lot more than I'm comfortable with (not as much as the first run though)

I'm sure their 10w30 won't thin out as easily as their 5w30 by the way.

By the way, the first free case of oil did not come to me with any agreement on my part to "stop bad mouthing it" They simply said to give it a try, and only after running it myself, did I have a right to talk bad about it or not. They took a big risk, especially knowing how vocal I am, and it sort of backfired when the first run with their oil showed it thinning out from 11.4cst down to 8.8 cst in just 2600 miles. (in other words it went from a high 30wt oil down to a high 20wt!)
Old 07-18-2003, 05:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agostino racing told me to run kendall oil 20/50 weight. i never used that brand oil before and not a 20/50,but since they built my motor i did as they said. kinda funny when i told a friend what oil they told me to run,he said in collage he did a study on kendall vs the other top brands and kendall held up better then mobil,quaker state,ect.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

You'd be better off running a 10w40 synthetic than a 20w50 dino like Kendall. The synthetic would protect better, while not robbing you of horsepower. The thicker oil will just cause higher oil temps too. 50wt oils are mainly for very loose clearance race motors. One of the reason race motors use 50wt oils is because they run richer and more fuel gets into the oil, so these oils tend to thin out, so by running the 50wt, it ends up turning into a 40wt anyways.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

QUOTE:
Also where do you find the best prices on these high end oils locally in DFW?

Thanks
Eller

[/quote]

as far as what oil after break in, use whatever you feel is best for your engine. redline, amsoil and royal purple are all good choices. I personally prefer redline 10-30wt for regular street driving. the only place I'm aware of to get redline over the counter in the DFW area is a place called Motorsport Sales. they carry a full line of redline products there. they are located at 13518 floyd circle in dallas. that's NE of 635 & 75, right across from the TI facility.

Old 07-20-2003, 09:51 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks
Old 07-20-2003, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Walmart has 5qt jugs of Mobil-1 for $18.88. Can't beat that price.
Damn, I read this today. I just bought 2 cases of Mobil 1 for my dry sump setup because it was $3.00 off a case. Oh well, I guess I know for next time.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did the $18.88 thing from WalMart. I always use Mobile 1 and that is a good price. I have used Royal Purple (usually in the wifes car), I get a good deal on it so it is closer in price to castrol (dino oil). GM did a lot of testing on the ZR1 and decided to go with Mobile 1, this was based on 180 mph racetrack testing.

Quick Reply: Which Motor Oil to use after engine hone and break in?