Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help. SHOP SAYS SPUN BEARING AFTER H/C

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help. SHOP SAYS SPUN BEARING AFTER H/C

I am in alabama, and i paid a shop in DFW area (parents live their to put install H/C package while they were replacing the rear end w/ 9". Car went on the dyno last night and made 435 rwhp on the first pull w/o any tunning. Shop said A/F was 10.5:1 which is rich. Oil pressure is good. Next pull it started making a clatering noise in the upper RPMs, and they shut it down.

I am not there mind you, but i had one of my buddies there to pick the car up after the dyno. They said it sounded like valve train noise. Decided to put the stock rockers back on there, and give it another try. Didn't fix the problem. They cut open the oil filter, and apparently there were metal shavings. They think it is a spun bearing but are currently pulling the oil pan off to double check. I asked how this was possible, and they replied "The bottom end must not have liked the additional power." I mean WTF? The car has a N2O kit on it, but it was just installed and has NEVER been sprayed. I haven't even driven/seen the car yet? Am I responsible for the short block, or is this their problem?
Old 02-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It certainly isn't unheard of...most people with H/C spin their motors higher than stock, and if everything isn't in perfect order, you are gonna find the shortcomings real quick, including spun bearings. This wouldn't be their problem...this one is on you.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you sign any liability release for the dyno time?
Old 02-29-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, thats harsh bro, guess your gonna get a bottom end also
Theres always a bright side
Old 02-29-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
It certainly isn't unheard of...most people with H/C spin their motors higher than stock, and if everything isn't in perfect order, you are gonna find the shortcomings real quick, including spun bearings. This wouldn't be their problem...this one is on you.
Yea, Kinda my thoughts. It just sucks to poor money into a car and then be told that your bottom end went. I guess I am shopping for a forged 408. Hopefully the shop will work with me on the labor end of it.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I am glad I decided that I will be replacing the bearings in the bottom end now. I'm putting H/C in my 125k engine, its lived a fairly tame life, but I will still sleep better at night knowing it has fresh bearings now. Its the one to many threads like this that I have seen that made me decide to spend the little extra now while its all apart so I don't have to worry.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by landonew
Yea, Kinda my thoughts. It just sucks to poor money into a car and then be told that your bottom end went. I guess I am shopping for a forged 408. Hopefully the shop will work with me on the labor end of it.
I hear ya man...I've spent tons of money on mine just running around in circles trying to get back to where I already was. A 402/408 would definitely be the choice in this situation...
Old 02-29-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I spun number #8 and #7 after only 100 miles after my head/cam swap. Seems that the additional power and more importantly RPM put a lot of strain on the bearings. My motor had 120k on it and ran 11.71 cam only, so it was strong till the end.

May she rest in peace....
Old 02-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Is it ok to mod the bejesus out of you motor and make a full throttle dyno run without a tune? I would think partial throttle tunes would be much nicer up front, don't you?
Old 02-29-2008, 08:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmanwinter
Is it ok to mod the bejesus out of you motor and make a full throttle dyno run without a tune? I would think partial throttle tunes would be much nicer up front, don't you?
Thats my concern!!
Straightline spent nearly 4 hours tuning before any WOT RUNs!!
Letting the car cool in between!!
WOW
Old 02-29-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

A tune will only help with the A/F mixture at WOT and idle. Since it was running rich and not lean, it was on the safe side of WOT runs. Lean would have wrecked a piston.

The bottom end is completely on your shoulders. No one can predict what will happen on the bottom end unless you specifically asked them to tear it down completely and inspect it. No 2 high mileage motors lead the same life, one could have been babied with the best protecting oil against wear. Another could have been beat on all its life and had bearings just holding up by a thread. Then you ask the unknown from such a bottom end to hit higher rpm with more torque?
Old 03-01-2008, 03:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

it could be the shops fault that put it in if they also replaced the oil pump and may have messed it up causing some oil starvation.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:38 AM
Banned

I'd just get a new bottom end and put the worries aside in the future...now if something else breaks after that myseteriously, then look at the shop. I had all new internals put into my motor when I H/C'd it because a friend bombed his lucky number 7 miles after he got it tuned, but he didn't replace anything he didn't have to because he was trying to save money, only thing was by saving a little money there, cost him a lot of money later Good luck with whatever you do and keep us updated.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How much was it driven with the 10.5:1 AFR? If the oil wasn't changed and you were messing with it this rich you may have had some fuel in the oil when they ran it and there was enough lubrication for the high RPM.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by SladeX
A tune will only help with the A/F mixture at WOT and idle. Since it was running rich and not lean, it was on the safe side of WOT runs. Lean would have wrecked a piston.

The bottom end is completely on your shoulders. No one can predict what will happen on the bottom end unless you specifically asked them to tear it down completely and inspect it. No 2 high mileage motors lead the same life, one could have been babied with the best protecting oil against wear. Another could have been beat on all its life and had bearings just holding up by a thread. Then you ask the unknown from such a bottom end to hit higher rpm with more torque?
I will certainly agree.

UNLESS you can prove they ran it oil starved, how do they, or even you know your bearing were not already hurt.

I have killed bearing due to a too rich A/F and the washing down of the cyl lead to watery oil and eventually lead to killing of the beaings.

Just pull it and re build it, hopefully the cam bearing journals didnt take too bad of a hit.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:19 AM
10 Second Club

10.5:1 is rich enough to contaminate the oil enough to the point where it breaks down. The question is how many pulls did they do with that rich of A/F and did you drive it in that condition? I know this sounds ****, but every time you suspect fuel in the oil it should be changed immediately as a precautionary move. If you really want to know the condition of the oil, pull a sample and send it to a lab that does oil analysis.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

I can't imagine it washing down a cylinder in 2 pulls. At part throttle and idle, it would have been correcting itself from the lean, not running ideal yet, but since they had A/F running on it, they probably had a good indicator if it was being drenched or not.

I think it's simply tough to prove if there was a problem or not. Mentioned that 2 pulls were done and oil pressure was good. If the o-ring or pump was an issue, it would have been fluctuating from startup.