Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Beating on the a GTO - Quick Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beating on the a GTO - Quick Question

Im fairly new to the LS1 (04 GTO) and was wondering how much of a beating can the car take? Its got 21K miles and is stock...(just bought it!) I never beat on the car or tranny because of fear of "Beating" on the car and lowering the live of the car.

When i say beating on it I mean pushing the pedal past 75% throttle and coming close to red line. No drifting or pealing out . Of course i understand what is beating on the tranny is and what it can cause so I am not worried about that.

For example, at a stop light and lighting the car up though first to third. (M6)
Obviously doing this often will cause damage over time. (Duh) But my question is, the car is engineered to take a beating and maintain itself with out causing problems? I just have a power house and feel a little guilty if the car is opened up to much. What do you guys think?
Old 02-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The engine and transmission are both pretty bulletproof, with proper maintenance.

You'll wear out clutches, tires, and maybe a rear diff or axle, but the two big pieces should be able to handle the abuse (until you start with the mods).
Old 02-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks i would hope a LS1 could take a beating but im just playing it safe for the time being. Also i need to improve my manual skills.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Launching!

i have a 06 and i beat it to the ground.. multiple track runs a week, weekly roll races ect... i push her... she holds. keep her in tip top shape... she will stay strong for you... my clutch is the only burden
Old 03-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

Ha good to hear. Sometimes when shifting into second, it will grind even though the clutch is 75% engaged. I use normal shifting and once in a while if you seem to be at the right speed and try to go into second it will grind and not allow you to enter the gate. Is that the "1st to 4th" deal? Whenever that is on it usually will not allow you to even come close to second but i could be wrong. What does this sound like?
Old 03-02-2008, 01:38 PM

the only thing you have to worry about right now are clutch tires and diff
once you get some mods you gotta watch the drive shaft axle stubs etc
Old 03-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LemonTree
Ha good to hear. Sometimes when shifting into second, it will grind even though the clutch is 75% engaged. I use normal shifting and once in a while if you seem to be at the right speed and try to go into second it will grind and not allow you to enter the gate. Is that the "1st to 4th" deal? Whenever that is on it usually will not allow you to even come close to second but i could be wrong. What does this sound like?
skip shift eliminator
Old 03-08-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

whats going on cool... yeah i wouldnt worry to much about it. like everyone said about normal wear and tear and your clutch but watch the missed gear at high rpms.. i wouldnt push the car all the time but you can still have fun with it
Old 03-09-2008, 04:42 AM
10 Second Club

drive it like you stole it ,its got a chevy motor in it u cant hurt it!
Old 03-09-2008, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by rcsfastmonte
drive it like you stole it ,its got a chevy motor in it u cant hurt it!
+1, the gen III is a tough mother, and she can handle a beating. Look at how many people spray stock motors without any trouble, small shots but non the less.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Teching In

I've got an '04 GTO that I bought used at 23k miles. I'm close to stock power (Only K&N CAI and tune), I've gone to the track about once a quarter since Summer '06, but I run it pretty hard on the street. I burn out (more so when I bought the car) and drift in it (not the hardcore stuff, but getting sideways never gets old). I've got 48k on it now (as it's my DD) and I've had no problems *knocks on wood* with the car. The stock clutch still holds up well and has never slipped. The only thing is that I avg 12 mpg on the street and go through a pair of (rear) tires every 6 months. I change the oil every 3k-5k miles (depending on how much interstate traveling I did). Only thing I haven't done, but will do shortly, is change the other fluids. I'm holding off on the coolant as when I get a CAM next year it will be replaced. I've already changed the rear diff fluid as well. All that is left now is the manual tranny fluid, the clutch fluid and the brake fluid.

Oh, and I have got to change the air in my tires as well :-P
Old 03-12-2008, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

if it dies then you can do what i did. look at sig
Old 03-12-2008, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

or you can do my set up..LOL
Old 03-13-2008, 09:21 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by firefly9r68
or you can do my set up..LOL
Firefly's Car is Wicked Fast. Should see that sucker at a track or better yet in a roll race with a sport bike and spanking it to 170

Quick Reply: Beating on the a GTO - Quick Question