Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May 08 Car Craft "How to swap a Gen3 into a 64-72 A-Body

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default May 08 Car Craft "How to swap a Gen3 into a 64-72 A-Body

Any one read this article yet? I was hopeing to learn something or see something new but in the end was very disappointed.

Can't believe they are going to spend $1000 on S&P accessory drive,$1100 on a gas tank and $1900 on an computer and harness.I think my whole swap will cost very little more than that.

Also Car Craft brags about telling exactly what each project they do, costs but I did not see what headers they used(only assume it was Hookers since they used their adapter plates),but could see they went with painted and not coated?Lets spend $3k on acc drive,tank,harness and computer,but not $100 more for the coated headers?

Jeff Smith should have done this not Glad and MCGann.My 2cents
Old 03-01-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I saw the article too, I guess there will be more to come, but sometimes I think instead of checking around for the best or most cost effective option, they always seem to turn to their biggeswt sponsors immediately. Like S&P or Painless. They mentioned wait4me and Speartech in the article which I thought was nice, but you are right about the brackets, I hate S&P brackets with a passion, they are horrible crap for the money.
I have not been very impressed with a lot of stuff in that mag lately and my subscription has already run out for that very reason.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I already posted on their forum about the fact they couldn't find swap costs listed anywhere. Not only is our swap detailed in the thread, but we posted the spreadsheet! Many people on here have listed their swap costs in detail. Guess they haven't found ls1tech....
Old 03-01-2008, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

thats what i hate about the magazine builds, they waste money on stupid crap thats not needed. Then they make engines look bad because they wasted all the money on some pulleys and a hypertech.

they other day i was reading one about a ls1, they added a lid, hypertech, and g2 spark plug wires and gained like 18rwhp, but spent like 1100 bucks.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

remember my comment about "California budget" and real world budget?
just sayin'............

the only "craft" in car craft anymore is penmanship on the checks.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Car Craft used to be good at doing cheap or cost effective projects.. but they have change some now.. and I hate their 10 most and burn out pages.. could be a better use of those pages.. but I will say they do have to good artical or projects at times...
Old 03-02-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

I have a question... does anyone actually spend the time to read that stupid cartoon in the back of the magazine? I think I read it one time and was amazed at what I could have used that time for instead.

I agree about the California budget. I see a lot of times where instead of going a route that explains what the average guy would do to have a cost effective product, they just call up the same 'ol companies and find out what there latest expensive gizmo's are and bolt them on. Doesn't make for very realistic or interesting reading anymore.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am guessing that the acc. drive, gas tank and all the other expensive bits that they were using were donated and didn't cost them a dime.
I do agree, some of the stuff in magazines is getting out of the realm of the average joe anymore. I wish I had their budget and connections in the business, hell my Vega would probably run now if I had them!!!

Mike Schwochert
Old 03-02-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have seen A-Body builds on here without the big buck acc. relocate kits. While I agree with a few of their purchase decisions, I am not sure I understand why they had to get all new acc drive system. Also, why are they not modifying the harness?
Old 03-03-2008, 05:57 AM
TECH Resident

Probably because MSD gave them one of those nifty controllers that they are using. Then, later they will show how you can spend twice as much for a transmission controller to go with it.

I also noticed they said almost $1000 for the accessories... and No A/C.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by schwoch1
I am guessing that the acc. drive, gas tank and all the other expensive bits that they were using were donated and didn't cost them a dime.
I was pretty disapointed also. I realize they are a business and showing sponsor parts is part of it... But, yeah, the polished aluminum $1000 pulleys...come on guys!

I had high hopes after there junkyard 5.3 articles. I still like the mag, but this article was a true disapointment.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Teching In

I would have liked to see they use a 5.3 or 6.0 from a truck. These are the engines they have done build ups on and have told us how plentyful they are. They are much cheaper and easier to find than LS1. Sooo.. why not show how to install one of these in an A body? By the way, I think the $1000. acc. drive is pretty ugly with alt. hanging out there like that. Don't get me wrong , I think they have the best mag out there but missed the mark on this one.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jim Maras
I would have liked to see they use a 5.3 or 6.0 from a truck. These are the engines they have done build ups on and have told us how plentyful they are. They are much cheaper and easier to find than LS1. Sooo.. why not show how to install one of these in an A body? By the way, I think the $1000. acc. drive is pretty ugly with alt. hanging out there like that. Don't get me wrong , I think they have the best mag out there but missed the mark on this one.

What he said.
I couldn't agree more!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

It's obvious that most of these kind of articles are just a different form of advertising. I got tired of it when I used to read musclecar magazines all the time.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Who in the hell would want to swap a LS based engine after reading that piece of crap article?When I pulled that issue from the mailbox I was stoked because I am in the planning stages of swapping a budget carbed 6.0/200r4 in a original,55,000 mile '65 Skylark.Before reading it I expected it to follow the theme of the bucks down per the LQ4/5.3 build ups in previous issues.After reading it it made me VERY discouraged and want to go back of my original plan of swapping in one of my spare '87 Grand National motors as it drops right on the factory 300 V8 frame mounts with no oil pan or accessory issues to contend with.Jeff Smith needs to run that mag again.Glad I let my subscription run out........