Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin Turbo LS1

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Turbo LS1

Well I have a LS1 out of a camaro with about 35k miles on it. I think all it needs is a set of bearings. I haven't checked yet. But can I run the motor fairly stock with twins on it? I only want to run about 4-5 lbs of boost out of each trubo. So I want a total of around 8-10. Can the stock bottom end handle the boost as well as the heads? Any help or info will greatly be appreciated. Oh and by the way it's going in a 1977 trans am drag car. So the chassis is no question.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think 8-10 lbs is fine on a really safe tune *slightly rich with not much degrees in timing* youll want LQ9 heads *317 casting i believe* which will lower your CR to 9.25:1 to be safe.

If you need a twin turbo kit let me know, I have one being made and prolly get one exactly the same but with smaller turbos or whatever you want for about 3500 including wastegates/piping/intercooler ect.

Last edited by Cchris1109; 03-01-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

I have a set of 317 heads with comp cam 918 springs and locks, these heads and a thick gasket could get you down to about 9 to 1 cr. pm me if interested.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

ah they are 317 i was one number off ha
Old 03-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 4.8LGMC
Well I have a LS1 out of a camaro with about 35k miles on it. I think all it needs is a set of bearings. I haven't checked yet. But can I run the motor fairly stock with twins on it? I only want to run about 4-5 lbs of boost out of each trubo. So I want a total of around 8-10. Can the stock bottom end handle the boost as well as the heads? Any help or info will greatly be appreciated. Oh and by the way it's going in a 1977 trans am drag car. So the chassis is no question.

It doesnt work that way, each turbo will need to make 8 psi. Together they will increase the volume of air needed to support 346ci, not pressure. If you dive into forced induction with out doing alot alot alot of reading, you will waste a bunch of time and money. That said; should be bad ***. 8 psi should net 550 to 600 rwhp. good luck.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:49 AM
On The Tree

I already have the turbos. They are both garrett air research turbos. I cant remember the mm size but they are pretty good size. I just tore down the ls1 last night and i'm gonna have to buy new rods and pistons anyways. Crank is still good, heads are still good, the cam is no good. So what kinda cam, pistons, and injectors would i need? If someone wants the stock ls1 heads i'll let them go cheap. So 8 psi out of both so a total of 16. Should make that 3000 lb car move pretty quick. Does anyone know where I can get a pcm? And how much of a tune would I need? This is my first turbo setup, but this will also be a weekend driver too. Like I said before, any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Also, what kind of waste gates do I need? Can I make the stock LS1 heads work?
Old 03-02-2008, 08:54 AM
10 Second Club

I already have the turbos. They are both garrett air research turbos. I cant remember the mm size but they are pretty good size. I just tore down the ls1 last night and i'm gonna have to buy new rods and pistons anyways. Crank is still good, heads are still good, the cam is no good. So what kinda cam, pistons, and injectors would i need? If someone wants the stock ls1 heads i'll let them go cheap. So 8 psi out of both so a total of 16. Should make that 3000 lb car move pretty quick. Does anyone know where I can get a pcm? And how much of a tune would I need? This is my first turbo setup, but this will also be a weekend driver too. Like I said before, any info is greatly appreciated.
no it does not work like this

8 psi out of each turbo = 8 psi at the engine
you do not add the PSI together
Old 03-02-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigJls1
It doesnt work that way, each turbo will need to make 8 psi. Together they will increase the volume of air needed to support 346ci, not pressure. If you dive into forced induction with out doing alot alot alot of reading, you will waste a bunch of time and money. That said; should be bad ***. 8 psi should net 550 to 600 rwhp. good luck.
I can't can't count how much ready I've done and how many extra's here and there I have to keep ordering. My project keeps getting delayed and when I think I got jsut about every part than something else pops up. I am glad it worked out this way b/c if I happened to do it all at once without extensively researching I would have had more of a mismatched combo/setup put together with more problems/bugs to be worked out. Take you time and do your research, be patent and do it once and do it right the first time IMO!
Old 03-03-2008, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

I talked to a buddy of mine and he explained it all to me. I understand what ya'll were talkin about. Now what kind of waste gate do i need, pop off valve, cam, pistons, intercooler, injectors, and will the stock ls1 intake work with twin turbos?
Old 03-03-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Warning... Some bottom ends are good to 600 rwhp, some (like mine) aren't good past 400 rwhp. Slapping a pair of turbos on there without adressing the bottom end of the motor is rolling the dice to say the least.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

I talked to a buddy of mine and he explained it all to me. I understand what ya'll were talkin about. Now what kind of waste gate do i need, pop off valve, cam, pistons, intercooler, injectors, and will the stock ls1 intake work with twin turbos?
Darren if you get with me sometime I can make you a list of crap you will need to look for to make it all work. I can answer just about any question you have on a shop-built setup.But like the guy said earlier take your time and do it right the first time saves alot in the long run Later. And thanks for the 12 earlier.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Thanks trojan.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

A few more questions. How do i know what pcm to look for, what part of the wiring harness would I not need, what injectors? I know what bottem end I'm putting in that's not the question. I also found a set of heads that I think will work. Heres the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-P...em190202418587. They're a set of bare patriot heads. Are they worth the money?