Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking Pushrods (questions)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking Pushrods (questions)

I'm going to be taking off the valve covers tomorrow and checking the springs and pushrods. I have never done this before.

I am going to be following the Yella Terra Rocker install over at LS1 Tech. Here is the link for that article:

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=21

Now, most of it seems extremely simple and very straight forward. I do have a question though regarding the installation of the first set of rockers. In the "how-to", he mentions doing a few things to get the right amount of "Pre-Load" when installing the aftermarket rockers. I believe he is doing this to determine whether or not the shims included with the kit will need to be used.

I am going to be removing the rockers and checking the pushrods, then when I am satisfied...I will be putting all the STOCK COMPONENTS back. I will not be installing any aftermarket rockers/pushrods/springs. All I'm doing is verifying the integrity of the stock parts.

So, this is what I need to know on my end. Since I am working with totally stock components and will be replacing all the stock components, do I need to worry about those steps in the How-To regarding the pre-load? Since I am putting all back together as it was, all I need to do is pull them out, check them, and then just drop the mounting screws back into the rockers and torque them right away to the 22lb specification, right?

Any insight or advice anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

As long as you put everything back in the same place you should be fine. Make sure you turn the motor over once or twice and retorque the rockers. I would look at the cam swap on ls1 install university instead of the terra rockers. Are you just checking the pushrods for bent ones and are you taking the springs off and checking the spring rating or just checking for breaks?
Old 03-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

Just checking for breaks. I'm taking my car to the track for the first time next weekend. Just checking some basic things before I do so.

I was just going to visually inspect the springs without removing them. Remove the rockers and pull out each pushrod and check to see if any are bent.

At one point should I turn the motor over, and how do I do that? Also, why should I be turning over the motor?
Old 03-02-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Resident

When you torque the rockers down you want to spin the motor over and just check your torque. You need to turn the balancer bolt to do this. it will be hard if your spark plugs are still in. you night want to take the time to replace your plugs now.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

Spinning the motor checks the torque on the rockers right?

How will I know if the torque I put on the rockers is not enough? Am I looking for the rockers to lift?

I have new plugs/wires sitting here as well, although I really wasn't planning on installing those tomorrow. If they plugs are still in the motor when I spin it via the balancer bolt, what will/could happen?

Also, I went to Install University and looked around. I saw many articles that could help out on other projects, but did not see anything related to a Cam Swap. This is what I found under LS1 Install University through a google search:

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
Old 03-02-2008, 06:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spinning the motor checks the torque on the rockers right? Yes

How will I know if the torque I put on the rockers is not enough? Am I looking for the rockers to lift? No, your looking to see if the rockers need torqued again to 22; as in did it release some of the torque. So torque them once to 22, spin the crank, check torque again.

I have new plugs/wires sitting here as well, although I really wasn't planning on installing those tomorrow. If they plugs are still in the motor when I spin it via the balancer bolt, what will/could happen? It will be difficult to turn over that's all.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

So for further clarification...

After re-installing the stock rockers, I need to torque them to 22lbs and then spin the motor via the balancer bolt. Spinning the motor will cause the pushrods to lift up on the rockers and this action could cause them to come loose. I then need to torque them again to 22lbs to verify that they are still indeed within specs.

And in order to turn the motor, I need to put a wrench on the balancer bolt and turn that. In the following image, is this exactly what I need to turn in order to rotate the motor?

Old 03-02-2008, 02:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You got it
Old 03-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome, I appreciate the help guys.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

No problem
Old 03-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Decided to change the spark plugs/wires today. I pulled off the coil packs to make it easier so I just took the extra step of removing the valve covers while I was at it. I didn't get around to removing the rockers/pushrods since I actually had less time to do all this than I thought.

I'll probably remove the rockers/pushrods and check them all out next time I get a chance. Hopefully that's next weekend. I took a look at where the balancer bolt was at, and HOLY CRAP that will be a bitch to get to.

I don't really want to remove the spark plugs and do it all over again, but taking off the valve covers to get access to that stuff takes barely 5min. What is the best way to get at that balancer bolt so that I can spin the motor? How hard will it actually be to rotate with the spark plugs in? I'm worried about not having enough room to put a wrench on that bolt easy enough to really give it some torque to get it to rotate.

What do you guys suggest?

Anyway, here is the picture from underneat the driver side valve cover. I never took off the passenger one either, just simply ran out of time. With my very limited knowledge though, everything at least on the drivers side from a quick visual inspection looks good.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

I am not sure if it would be a good idea or not but you can always turn the key over a few times. maybe someone else can chime on that note.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mrhzk35404
I am not sure if it would be a good idea or not but you can always turn the key over a few times. maybe someone else can chime on that note.
It would be ok to do that with 4 of the coil packs completely disconnected and removed? I guess if I only did one side at a time it would run, but only on 4 cylinders right?

Or how would that work?
Old 03-03-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

just unhook your fuel pump fuse and both coil packs from the main plug.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mrhzk35404
Yeah just leave all the plugs unplugged and the injectors and juts crank it over with the key, then retorque the rockers again, I usually do it 3 times.