Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

tranny help me plz bout to take the desert eagle to this POS

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny help me plz bout to take the desert eagle to this POS

Ok... been trying to get the transmission in for about 2 hours now... (just the transmission nothing else) and it wont seem to line up, the pins wont line up and the boltholes wont line up. Been lowering and raising the jack while wiggling/spinnin it side to side doin everything we could think of... yesterday the jack slipped some and the tranny dropped about a foot and a half, while the input shaft was SOMEWHAT inside of the clutch disk, so pulled tranny out yesterday to inspect clutch disk, and it looked fine to my naked eyes, also the input shaft looked fine it spun fine, and the plastic alignment tool still slid in and out of everything perfectly. What could the problem be? could my input shaft be bent? or could the clutch be bent? what... bout ready to call it a day and sell it while it sits on the jack stands lol

it is only about a quarter ofan inch away.. but nothings wanting to budge now...

thanks in advance, all help appreciated..
the last time we installed the transmission in this car (about 2 weeks ago) it slid right in although then it had new hydraulics that hadnt been
Old 03-02-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The alignment tool fits sloppy compared to the input shaft. It can let the disk sit a smidge too low. Try putting the tool back in. Use your fingertips to feel how the disk is centered in the pressure plate. Then loosen up th PP and use the alignment tool to pry a little upwards on the disk, re-aligning it. Tightnen the PP bolts down again. You should be able to feel which way the disk moved. Try the trans again.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Ok ill try that when I'm off work this week, also when attempting to pull the trans back out it was hung on something? Possibly the pilot bearing had a lip up on the inside and it caught the tip of the input shaft?, anyways can I go with a pilot bushing instead, the pilot bearings look cheap and flimsy to me.. What's the cons of going with a bushing instead of the bearing? And where can I find a tool to pull the new bearing I have in there out? I would use he rental I used on the old one but it won't fit on the inside of this one.. (all that was left of the old one was the metal ring around the outside of the inside of the crank... Was destroyed)

Snyways.. Thanks for the quick replies
Michael
Old 03-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Launching!

With a bearing its going to be slightly more efficient power wise as well as mileage, how much? I dont know, but the bushings last longer.

I used the pilot bearing puller from autozone, it didnt fit but i could get one leg in there and it still pulled it out fine kind of at an angle.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Launching!

as in power and mileage u mean it'll get like 2-3 gallons per mile? or a very small amount.. anyone useing the bushing that could post up there experiences? i'm planning on preppin it till wed when i attempt the transmission install again..
Old 03-02-2008, 04:16 PM
Launching!

I doubt its much but I'm sticking with a bearing since thats what they upgraded to. Chevy stopped using bushings for a reason.

Quick Reply: tranny help me plz bout to take the desert eagle to this POS