Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Finally!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finally!!!

After almost two years of trying to find some headers for my Olds, I finally struck pay dirt.
Almost everyone that makes headers has a generic set that will fit most cars but when it comes to a custom, they just throw up their hands an wish you good luck.

I found a place about a hundred miles East of me that makes everything in house.
I'm suppose to take the Olds in next Friday and get a set of custom long tube's installed.

They will be the ceramic coated tri-Y's.

Should look nice compared to the originals.
The big problem with the pre manufactured units is MY motor mounts.
They are custom and get in the way.
My steering system adds the same complications.

I've tried short tube, long tube types and units that are suppose to fit Camaro's, Firebireds, Vettes and even Silverado Trucks.

Here's some pix of what they look like right now. Pretty BAD!!

I'll post as soon as I get it back.

DT
Attached Thumbnails Finally!!!-picture-001w.jpg   Finally!!!-picture-005w.jpg   Finally!!!-picture-008w.jpg   Finally!!!-picture-010w.jpg  
Old 03-02-2008, 01:28 PM
10 Second Club

Did you try Stan's Headers in Auburn?
Old 03-02-2008, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Yes, I called him for a quote but it seems as if he won't allow me to keep my car there for the whole process. I live on the Coast way North of Ocean Shores. Each trip is over 140 miles.
I have to bring it in, get it measured and the headers built take it home while they are coated, bring it back in to have them installed. (extra for installation)

Also, Cash up front for half and he won't accept my personal check.
He also quoted me 1,600.00 to 2,000.00 bucks for custom headers.
Coating is 260.00 to 295.00
The wait is three weeks out before he can start.
Business must be fantastic.

The place I found will do a turn key for me next week and for allot less.
I drop it off and then pick it up.

This kind of customer service is worth it's weight in gold to me.
Since money isn't a problem, I'd pay double for the right kind of treatment.

DT

PS....Thank you for the input, though....
I'll post pix when I get it back. Maybe I'll wish I took it to Stan's but if they
turn out OK then I'll sure talk it up.

Last edited by dogtag; 03-09-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got lucky with my headers for my truck.....camaro headers fit almost perfect!
Old 03-02-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice, I bet they are going to look sharp!
Old 03-09-2008, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Default Car's in the shop now.

Friday morning came and went. I loaded the Olds up on my flatbed and as soon as I pulled out of the driveway it started pouring..
By the time I got to the place it looked like the Olds had been underwater at a sewage treatment plant.
Anyway, As soon as I pulled in, the owner and one of his guys came out to help me unload the car.
I pulled it into the garage where there was an empty stall as promised.

Before we got down to business, the owner took me around to all of the stations at the business and showed me how they made the headers and all of the test Jigs used to form the bends. They even had the front of a 57 Chev with a big block installed and the steering gear and rack so that they could manufacture sets of headers to sell retail for a particular ride.

I saw headers in different stages of manufacture and had a chance to ask questions and got some pretty straight answers.

Then back to the car where we put it up on the lift and looked at the current headers. We talked about the style and the advantage of each.
Then the guy said something shocking ....
"How do YOU want it done".
"Beg your pardon", I thought.

He explained that there were two types he recommended I consider.
Since I wanted long tube headers that I chose between the "four into one" or the "tri Y" type.

The "four into one" has all four tubes collecting into one three inch collector and then into the exhaust. This makes for lot's of horsepower at high RPM's.
He suggested the "Tri Y" for my applications as I had informed him that I didn't race the car but wanted max torque at mid RPM's which would give me the best mileage and would be very suitable for freeway cruising.
This meant that on one side, two of the cylinders were formed into one and the other two were formed into one and then the two formed into one three inch collector.
He showed me examples of each.
He then gave me a quote for each style and then gave me an agenda of when the work would start and when the header coating would be done and baring no problems would have it ready the week after next.
I noticed that his price for a set of custom made headers was less than 2/3's the price of the other guy.

I was also informed that the car would be kept inside and safe the whole time.

He then asked me how much I would LIKE to put down on the project.

I couldn't believe it. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Yes, you'd better believe I will take pix and post them as soon as I get the car back.
I am also posting a copy of the e mail thread I received back from the "other" shop in town. The one my friends say I should use.

---------------------------------------------------
The "other" header shop in town responded (after a week)
and this is after I explained that it's a four hour drive each way with the car on the trailer.

Quote::::

A set of custom headers usually cost between $1600.00 and $2000.00 plus any coatings and extra exhaust work. Some times it is a little more because we charge by "time & materials" and we can't be sure of the exact price until the system is complete. The custom headers usually take 3 to 4 days to build and finish machining. The coatings usually take about 4 to 5 working days after the headers are complete and usually cost between $260.00 and $295.00. The only problem is that I can't store your car while the headers are being coated. You will have to take the car home and after they are coated you can install them your self. If you want us to install them after they are coated, we can do that and we would just figure the cost in time to re-install these. Anyway we don't have the room to store your car while waiting for the coatings to be done.

We take a deposit to guarantee the appointment date at the time that we make this appointment, at this time we are out about 2 to 3 weeks. Deposits are by Cash, Cashiers Check or Money Orders "Only" as is the final balance of the bill. We manufacture all of the parts to build your headers and we also keep them in stock.

Thanks.

DT
Old 03-12-2008, 04:09 AM
On The Tree

sweet! I'm really interested in how it turns out. my family has a '56 Olds 88 4-door stored in TX right now, we've had it in the family since new. needs a resto when we get around to it.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow that is great to hear man! You don't hear to many stories about customer service like that anymore!

I hope you get a chance to get the car back out to the A&W in Port Orchard this year.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I do my buicks (after we get the 455 for it & it installed) we are going to deal with Clear Image in kent.
They do it all in house as well.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

So what company is making your headers? They sound great!
Old 03-13-2008, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

Clear Image
Old 03-13-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dogtag
Clear Image
yea they are kewl, Beth & I email back & forth alot of the times
Old 03-13-2008, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

She kept talking about riding and such....I thought she was talking about horses.
Nope, she's a biker chick.

DT
Old 03-13-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dogtag
She kept talking about riding and such....I thought she was talking about horses.
Nope, she's a biker chick.

DT
Yep yep she is,

Dan is really kewl too but hes to much in to IMPYS lol.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

Default It's happenin'

Stopped by the shop today as I was in town and Dan took some time to show me what they've done already.
I guess the headers go to the coating shop today or Monday.
They had the passenger side almost done and just had to smooth out the welds and clean it up a bit.
I included a shot.
You can see why they call it a "tri Y"

I also included a shot to show how tight a fit it is.
Despite all the room above, there is precious little underneath.
You can see the motor mount above the swing arm and also, if you look closely, you can see where the steering shaft goes through the motor mount.
Closer inspection revels that the stock headers are only about an inch or so in places from the mount.

They used a Silverado Jig to bend the pipes and then modified them.

So far, So good.

Dogtag
Attached Thumbnails Finally!!!-dscf0018w.jpg   Finally!!!-dscf0024w.jpg  
Old 03-15-2008, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Those look like they'll turn out nice and since you aren't out for peak HP numbers they will fit the bill you are seeking. I have a friend who is really into street rods and he had a 34 Chevy and had some tri y's made for it he wanted more power and had a 4 into one header made. He had dyno sheets for both the tri y made 15 more ft lbs but was 20 HP less than the 4 into one. Funny how just the way the header is configured will make that much difference. Maybe his was non typical but he had the data to prove it.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

Ya know, that's just about the way it was explained to me when I first went in.
The guy says the reason you can get more HP from the four into One is that it's easier to reach the higher RPM's and it also happens faster.
He said that the Tri Y shined when producing torque and or when using automatic transmissions.
Dunno, but it kinda goes along with what you said.
I chose the tri Y as my boat is a freeway cruiser and will never see a drag strip.

A little more torque will also keep the diesel pickups from kickin' my azz. LOL!

Also, truth be told, I also did it for looks. I show the car allot and at almost every show someone says, "how come ya don't have headers".
So I guess I'm finally "caving".

DT
Old 03-15-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I emailed Beth about this thread & she was so tickled pink about the comments that were coming out. I am hoping they join as sponsors.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Just got off the phone with Dan at Clear Image. (7pm Saturday)????
He says the headers are done and fit perfectly. Both sides look pretty different.
The passenger side used the jig from a Silverado and then they modified it and the driver side is completely custom.
They go to the coating shop Monday and should be done and ready for install in the car the following Monday.
Can't wait to try them out.
DT
Attached Thumbnails Finally!!!-p1010004.jpg   Finally!!!-p1010005.jpg   Finally!!!-p1010006.jpg   Finally!!!-p1010007.jpg   Finally!!!-p1010008.jpg  

Old 03-15-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

They look awesome man! I just love your car! I think I have said it before, but after seeing it in person. It is just such a sweet ride. Old but new.
Have to love it!