General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

T top starting to rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T top starting to rattle

Over the past few weeks I've noticed a rattle/squeak sound coming from my passenger side when I'm driving. It goes away if I push on the passenger T top but the noise starts again as soon as I let go. I've taken it off and checked all the seals (they look fine) and put it back on and the noise just wont stop. Any tips?
Old 03-02-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine does the same, I believe it is inside the t-top, the linkage is dry/slight surface rust and squeaks when it wiggles. I found that if I pull the handle a little bit (WITH THE T TOP LOCKED) so that there is a bit of tension on the linkage it stops most of the squeaks.

When I get around to taking it apart and greasing it maybe I'll post up how to do it because I'm sure you and I aren't the only ones with this annoying squeak.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Teching In

I don't have the squeak, but I definitely have the rattle, I haven't really done anything to try and fix it yet.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BrentRS1985
I don't have the squeak, but I definitely have the rattle, I haven't really done anything to try and fix it yet.

Ditto here. Other than that the car is solid.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Same here
Old 03-03-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd take the plastic covers off and see if the pins are fully engaging when it's locked down.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
I'd take the plastic covers off and see if the pins are fully engaging when it's locked down.
yeah..try tightening every part possible...mine rattled, took it apart..put it back..and it is fine. 2 years now.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just thought I would share some helpful info. I used to have problems with the handles for my t tops being very stiff. I figured it would be simple enough to take the cover off and lubricate all the joints, but the problem is that everything is riveted together and there is no way to get grease into all the pivot points. And using an oil thin enough to make it into the joints does not provide adequate lubrication. I used a lubricant that I had for a bicycle chain, it is called Ice Wax. The idea is that it is a liquid and flows freely so it can get into the links of the chain and then dries and firms up. Oddly enough it never really worked very well as a chain lubricant but I had good results using it to lubricate the pivot points on my t top handles, they open and close much more freely now after applying ice wax. This is the stuff I used, I'm sure there are other brands as well:

http://www.pedroscatalog.com/product...ductID=6070041
Old 03-04-2008, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I squit some wd-40 inside the little bolt holes and along the latching shaft each year.

That really helps eliminate rattles & squeaks in the t-tops!
Old 03-04-2008, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
This is a good option, and should be checked whether it is the solution or not. There's not many things worse than traveling at highway speeds and having your T-tops just fly off. Here's what you are looking to fix/adjust.

The pin from the T-top slides into a metal slot (think round peg, round hole) - this slot is adjustable. And because it is adjustable, it does need to be adjusted/checked. There are times when the pin doesn't line up perfectly, and by latching the T-top down, you end up pressing the metal slot (round hole) back, making it so less of the pin is inside the hole. So, you have to remove the plastic on the A-pillar (2 screws visible with the T-top out) and adjust the metal clip so that it is holding as much of the pin as possible when the T-top is latched. Tighten everything up, and re-install the T-top.

That's the best description I can give on how to handle that. I read it somewhere (could have been here) at some point last year, and thought it was "good to know" information. Hopefully, it solves your problem, or at least saves your T-tops.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

i have the same problem on my 01 camaro.
i've tried adjusting the receivers and the a-pillar, no luck.

let me know if you guys figure out how to fix it.

tony
Old 03-08-2008, 05:33 AM
Staging Lane

a friend of mine lost a t-top once on the highway, completely shattered (obviously). Those things cost a few pennies.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

thanks for the ideas guys, i'll try em out this weekend and hopefully it'l be fixed
Old 03-18-2008, 12:10 AM
Staging Lane

I've got a problem with my driver's side t-top on my '01 WS6 as well. It's annoying as hell.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

I had the rattle, and took mine apart when trying to get rid of water spots this weekend. I just lubed everything up real good and haven't had a sound one from the car since then. Took about 5 minutes.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Mine does the same, I believe it is inside the t-top, the linkage is dry/slight surface rust and squeaks when it wiggles. I found that if I pull the handle a little bit (WITH THE T TOP LOCKED) so that there is a bit of tension on the linkage it stops most of the squeaks.

When I get around to taking it apart and greasing it maybe I'll post up how to do it because I'm sure you and I aren't the only ones with this annoying squeak.
Mine does the same on the passenger side...I pull the handle some and most of the squeak is gone. I want to get around to fixing it, but want to find out if anyone has had success before I put the time in.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

My driver side T has a slight rattle. I'm going to try what you all are suggesting and see if it helps. Thanks for the ideas!
Old 04-28-2008, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

Mine on the passenger side does that too. I lubed up the rubber seals and that makes it go away for a few months. Just re lube it when the sound comes back.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Both of mine rattle, but it's just the plastic trim piece. Haven't gotten around to fixing it.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i used to drive my 99 ss during the winter, the t-tops would rattle a lot. My fix was to take a little rtv on my finger and place it on underside of the center bar that the tops fit into, at the front and back, so that when the t-top was installed that little bit of rtv would help push the t-top downward more, compressing the seals of the top a little more and getting rid of any rattle or play. By placing the rtv on the underside of the bar, you never see it no matter the color of the rtv, and the contact point of the rtv is to the rubber trim piece of the top, so it's very quiet. You could use almost anything, clear silicone, black rtv, etc. If you use to much, you just pull it out with your finger and redo it.

Quick Reply: T top starting to rattle