Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI adjustable torque arm installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UMI adjustable torque arm installed

Well, let me start off by saying jerry over at umi is a great help, i called him with question about the adjustments and such cause all i had was the arm no directions or anything like that, he was a big help, let me know exactly what adjustments to make, cant complain about the customer service,

but what i don't get is, i got the arm that has its own mount that bolts to the cross frame, now i'm pretty good with cars, as i work on them day in and day out, but it seems to me that those little mounts with only spot welds were not meant for this kind of abuse, only time and the track will tell how well it does, but my first impression of this arm, is that its low, i have an eibach prokit installed and this thing scrapes everywhere, which you have to be really careful as its mounted to these spot welded perches underneath, one good bump and it will rip those right off i think,

thirdly i adjusted the arm to -3* of angle on the torque arm and made the drive shaft centered for optimum street driving, it seems to me that this tubular arm made no difference in traction or braking,

is there something im missing, should i make the torque arm more negative, any help would be great, long story short if i bought this arm i wouldnt be happy but it was free so we'll just keep it at that
Old 03-03-2008, 11:49 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

To be honest we don't have any issues with the mounts as weak as they may look. If the vehicle is putting down a good amount of power we do recommend some support there, we recommend to use our 3-Point SFC's, please reference the picture below. However on a street driven car you should not have any issues

For ground clearance, that is tough. Anytime you lower a car you are going to have issues whether its the torque arm, long tube headers, SFC's ect. We have to build that front mount low in order to clear all the y-pipe set-ups out there. We offer a version that tucks up much tighter that can be seen here- www.umiperformance.com/2200 but you just need to make sure your y-pipe would clear it.

Performance wise your results are going to vary depending on you other suspension mods and performance mods such as power. We usually see some really good results with just a torque arm install. What is the car doing? Still spinnig? Wheel hop? What other suspension mods do you have?

Thank you,
Ryan

Old 03-03-2008, 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

well my car hooks really well in stock trim, the only thing i have that could be considered not stock would be the 295 tires,

basically with stock suspension unlowered i was pulling 1.809 60's,
i installed an slp lca's and panhard, and lowered the car, havent been able to touch that original 60'

it just spins no hop or anything like that, im hoping to get some relocation brackets soon and hopefully that will help my situation,

im just saying, for driving around the street and getting into it i noticed no change, and the car is an slp stage 3 car, so, some say it has a little more power then stock some say no, so i dont know, it goes 12.8's thou, with the help of dr's, no aftermaket mods thou, so i guess stock hp, btw its a 6 speed
Old 03-03-2008, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

thank you for the picture,
Old 03-03-2008, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

oh yeah one more thing,

one of the best aftermarket items i have ever installed, i think the word bolt on is a ploy to get you to buy someones half assed engineered parts, this one was truly bolt on, no modifications needed, cutting etc, really appreciate the quality of this item, although i havent noticed it yet, kudos to the guy who engineered it
Old 03-03-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

Maybe it's the track. I find with my set-up, that sometimes my results will differ without me changing the car at all. SLP SFCs; BMR LCAs, relocation brackets, PHR; Spohn TA; MT DRs and with a SS3800, 3.23s, intake, and catback, my 60' could vary from 0.1-0.3 from one visit to another. I'm finding that I have to preload the chassis in order to dial-in the PA so maybe that's something you may consider, if you haven't already.

Good luck
Old 03-03-2008, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by radz282003
Maybe it's the track. I find with my set-up, that sometimes my results will differ without me changing the car at all. SLP SFCs; BMR LCAs, relocation brackets, PHR; Spohn TA; MT DRs and with a SS3800, 3.23s, intake, and catback, my 60' could vary from 0.1-0.3 from one visit to another. I'm finding that I have to preload the chassis in order to dial-in the PA so maybe that's something you may consider, if you haven't already.

Good luck
yeah i installed the arm on a 4 post lift, i think i need a roll control thou, this may help
Old 03-03-2008, 06:50 PM

WTF is an SLP STAGE 3?

I just won a BMR adjustable TQ arm. Can't wait to see how it fits and if there is a difference. I really do not expect any difference in traction.

Normally lowered cars have problems with the TQ arm hitting under the car. Also lowered cars normally do not hook as good at the track as stock hight.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by davered00ss
WTF is an SLP STAGE 3?

I just won a BMR adjustable TQ arm. Can't wait to see how it fits and if there is a difference. I really do not expect any difference in traction.

Normally lowered cars have problems with the TQ arm hitting under the car. Also lowered cars normally do not hook as good at the track as stock hight.
i guess its slang for pretty much all the options offered from slp, the bilsteins, the exhaust the intake, the 345 package, etc. congrats on winning the tq arm
Old 03-04-2008, 02:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by camarojunky74
one of the best aftermarket items i have ever installed, i think the word bolt on is a ploy to get you to buy someones half assed engineered parts, this one was truly bolt on, no modifications needed, cutting etc, really appreciate the quality of this item, although i havent noticed it yet, kudos to the guy who engineered it

That's one of the many reasons I love my UMI stuff. No grinding, cutting, banging, drilling or swearing!
Old 03-04-2008, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

except for their "bolt on" lower control arm relocation brackets, well yeah they bolt on if you dont wanna e brake
Old 03-04-2008, 10:05 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by camarojunky74
except for their "bolt on" lower control arm relocation brackets, well yeah they bolt on if you dont wanna e brake
You just have to bend the e-brake out of the way, or we cut a piece off of it. You still keep the e-brake, do not get rid of your e-brake. I can e-mail you installation instructions for this if needed.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

yeah i know lol. ive installed this a few times, not hard to cut off that little piece on each side, but i just think its funny when people say bolt on not cutting or welding required,

Quick Reply: UMI adjustable torque arm installed