Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

holding value

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default holding value

I'm interested in the 98-02 firebirds. Particularly the WS6s. But I have a question about those cars and holding their value. I'm told that the most money goes to the bone stock, relatively low mileage TA WS6s, un-modified/original. And that modifing a WS6 actually hurts its value if you try and sell it, bc most people want an original ws6 not a modified one? Is this true?

If so, then wouldnt it make sense, economically, if you arent stuck on having a true WS6, that you save some money and buy a regular TA, modify how you want, slap the ram air hood on it to give it that agressive look? And if I went to sell it one day, I wouldnt get as much for it because its modified and not a true WS6, but I would have lost more money if I would have bought a true WS6 and modified it? That goes back into the issue of: does modifing a WS6 hurt its value?

Basically, if doing lots of work to a ws6 hurts its value, then why shouldnt i buy a regular TA, make it look like a WS6 and modify it all I want, and not worry about a value loss if i go to sell it because i didnt pay that much for the car upfront, right? Help me out, I'm new to all this.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy what you love. If you're going to buy a car, drive it very seldom, and hope it makes you money in 25-50 years, please go buy stock in a company

If you love a WS6, buy a true WS6, if you just like Firebirds, buy whatever you can afford. I like Formulas, I own a Formula! It's a Firebird, it's RWD, it's got a V8 and it's fast!
Old 03-03-2008, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

The WS6 is gonna cost you an extra 2-3 thousand. If you're gonna modify it anyway, I'd buy a regular T/A, a WS6 hood and sink that extra money into performance mods. Then you'll be able to smoke any stock WS6 out there.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cool whip
The WS6 is gonna cost you an extra 2-3 thousand. If you're gonna modify it anyway, I'd buy a regular T/A, a WS6 hood and sink that extra money into performance mods. Then you'll be able to smoke any stock WS6 out there.
I agree considering the extra cost of a WS6 over a Regular Formula or Trans Am it's not worth it to spend the money on a car that's Not any Faster and pretty much considered a Dime a Dozen.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

It doesn't matter what you buy as long as it has an LS1 inside. It's been repeated over and over again in so many threads. Formula, Trans Am, WS6 will all be worth good money WAY down the road if kept original and low mileage and kept mostly stock just like you said. Get the best deal on any of the LS1 cars and have fun. Don't worry about value any time in the near future. You are NOT going to get your money back in most cases as you will be adding miles to anything you buy. It doesn't sound like you want to buy a trailer queen for investment purposes. These cars still have the 'low end' pricing ahead of it before the values start turning the other way. Enjoy your future ride!
Old 03-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Formula350
Buy what you love. If you're going to buy a car, drive it very seldom, and hope it makes you money in 25-50 years, please go buy stock in a company

If you love a WS6, buy a true WS6, if you just like Firebirds, buy whatever you can afford. I like Formulas, I own a Formula! It's a Firebird, it's RWD, it's got a V8 and it's fast!
+1 on what he said.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NC01TA
It doesn't matter what you buy as long as it has an LS1 inside.
Ah yes, another one of these LS1 owners. If it's not an LS1 it's junk.

Don't listen to him, LT1s are extremely fun cars too (96-97 WS6 were the only two LT1 year WS6 models).
Old 03-04-2008, 07:51 AM

I agree on buying a car that satisfies your own needs. Last year i needed to buy a commuter car, (my diesel truck isnt ecconomical, is a pain to park downtown but cant be beat for hauling a 9,000lb boat and carrying my family at the same time) I looked at everything out there, nothing could touch the Firebird for looks, performance, economy and sheer fun for the $
I picked up a very nice 2001 V6 80,000 miles with a 3 month warranty for $7,000 nothing could come close to matching that. i took the tops off, cranked up the awesome stereo and got 31mpg on the way home, what a blast. Yes its not a V8, hopefully one day i will own one, a nice low milage weekender car that hopefully will be an investment, in the meantime, i've driven mine every day since i've owned it and have loved every minute of it. I think if you are passionate about you car, whatever it is and for whatever reason you own it, it makes you an enthusiast.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

modifying any of these cars hurts their value IMO.

i was recently faced with this.. i found the nicest cleanest t/a i could... and now i've added better wheels, ram air hood, ws6 badge etc.. so i have exactly what i wanted at a cost less than a beat WS6/
Old 03-04-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Don't listen to him, LT1s are extremely fun cars too (96-97 WS6 were the only two LT1 year WS6 models).
No, don't listen to me. I only owned a '96 Formula LT1 since new in July, 1996. I had it for 9 years!! Yes, loads of fun, a great car, but my 2001 LS1 is a different beast and MUCH more preferable. Unless you have the time and experience behind the wheel of these beasts, maybe it isn't best to quote someone.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you have quite the bee in your bonnet... almost like you seek to rationalize certain feelings of inadequacy... regarding both your auto trans and your LT1.

no one is crapping on your car.. just making effective points.

honestly.. if anyone who has driven both an LT1 and LS1 thinks the LT1 is better, they've missed the boat entirely.

honestly.. i'm not knocking the LT cars, only saying that compared to an LS1.. they are an entirely different beast.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

To save a HUGE long quoting post, I'm not saying the LS1 isn't an amazing motor. Every single LS motor is a great motor. Also, there's not a thing wrong with the 700R4, and anyone who thinks there IS, has issues of their own And I wasn't taking it personally to MY car, I was saying in general. The LT1 is nothing to scoff at, but it does have it's issues like anything. From a dig, LT1 will take the LS1, we all know that much.

So no, I don't have any feelings of inadequacy, hell I never did when I had my L98!! Had I the money, I could be in the cool club too, but I don't so I make due with what I have and I enjoy every minute of it. That was the whole point to my post, that just because it's not a LSx powered F-Body, doesn't make it not worth buying and enjoying.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Buy a WS6 that has been modified already. There are some nice ones out there. Mine had over 10k in mods and had less then 25,000 miles on it. Found it in mint cond for the same price of a bone stock one. These cars will never be worth much more then what they are now. Car values have been down lately even the 1970's muscle cars are down.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:27 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Anything left stock is boring
Old 03-07-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Anything left stock is boring
I agree
Also if your buying one of these cars for investment purposes your a fool.
I have always firmly believed that cars no matter how rare and desireable are meant to be driven not sit in the garage and be trailered around to shows.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would say that if you plan on doing modifications to the car just buy a regular trans am and throw a ram air hood on it and whatever else you want to. My car 17k miles on it and i wouldnt have bought it if it wasnt bone stock, personaly i wouldnt have paid as much for the car if it did have stuff done to it. i would say that you can find a regular t/a in the same shape as a ws6 for on average 4 grand less. i hope that helps.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

You just cant drive it.... If you want it to hold value it needs to stay new... I dont see people restoring these cars in 50 years, they are going to be garbage... Sorry to say this but just not the same as the old Camaros and stuff...
Old 03-07-2008, 05:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

time will tell
Old 03-07-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just dont worry about the value seriously these things drop in price everyday just buy what you want, and i havent seen a huge difference in price in reg ta's over ws6's around here. People may restore these later on but look at a lot of the cars people restore today, mileage really doesnt affect cars when people restore them anyway unless they basically have no miles, people restore cars with over 100k all the time and can still bring good money..jmo
Old 03-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

If you want to mod it and really enjoy what these cars are capable of then get a regular T/A or Formula and have at it.
I agree with most in that thinking ahead to it's "investment potential" is premature at this time.
This philosophy works for most cause it's fun to wrench on these cars.

But...if you're like me having been thru the "how fast can I make this thing go with lots of mods" stage already with these and other cars, and you might want to just have a nice weekend ride. If so, then I'd look for a WS6.
Right now they are similiar in price to the regular F-bodies. In the future the WS6s will separate I believe. It happened with my Dodge Challengers.
But who knows?

I just wouldn't write off the future of the WS6s entirely. Nothing wrong with keeping it nice and low miled and hang on to it.
No one really knows what these will go for down the road so I aint thrashing mine.

I just picked up a mint and pretty rare hardtop 96 Formula WS6 in the M6 configuration that is bone stock except for 4.10s and Eibach springs. It has 67,000 miles which I will certainly add to but I want to keep it in great condition and even if its worth nothing, it will still be nice to keep in the family.

Just my opinion, but it all depends on what you want to use the car for.

Peace.

Quick Reply: holding value