View Full Version : Some questions about Motorcycle Licensing...

03-03-2008, 10:36 PM
I am still a current Az resident... And was wondering about getting a license, but not having to change my current drivers license to a Washington License.

What my questions are..

I want to get a Motorcycle license, but unsure if I would need to go back to az, and do the test, would I?

I am active military, and will be taking the Navy Motorcycle course, will that sufice for the driving part? As it does here in Washington, and did in Virginia?

So what I am saying, is should I get that done, and then all I would have to do is a written test, and not have to do the driving course..

Also, if I take the Washingtons drivers test for motorcycle, just the written part. Would that be okay, and all I would have to do is submit my exam to ADOT? And then they can issue me a Az license?

Thanks guys, hopefully some of you might know what I am talking about..

Looking forward to your replys..


03-04-2008, 12:22 AM
You need a permit to take the MSF course. If you want to get an AZ endorsement, you need an AZ permit. To get a permit in almost any state you need to take the written test. Most states, including AZ, will accept a MSF completion card in place of the driver's portion of the test.

I have both the beginner's and the experienced rider's courses. I was supposed to become an instructor last year, but I had to go on det. I am going to become one this year if I am back from det in time.

Honestly, the WA license is not a bad deal. It's cheap, it never expires while you're on active duty and it now doubles as a passport for travel to Canada. You can always swap back to AZ next time you go back if the "valid til 65" rule is that precious to ya. ;)

03-04-2008, 12:30 AM
Lol yes it is.... I wanna be a senior citizen before I need to redue it. lol

03-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Hey Eric, if I get a Washington license, will I also have to switch my insurance and registration over to Wa?? I hope not, that would suck...

I am thinking I wouldn't, cause I am mil, and still have a lot of ties with az, but just not my license, if that was the case.

03-04-2008, 01:43 PM
I have always heard the rule of threes was illegal, but I don't know if it's true. For example, you can't have a license from one state, insurance from another and the car registered froma third. By that rule, if you had registration and insurance from one state you could have a license from another. A cop told me that one of the many times I have been pulled over.

03-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Okay thats what I was thinking too. So I am good to go. And also, a little info I just found out.

All I need to do. is have them send me a copy of the written 30 question exam, take it, along with my certificate of completion from the navy course. and then they will send me a new motocycle license.. Cool huh??? lol

03-04-2008, 03:36 PM