LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

budget build

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default budget build

so, i really wanted to build my a motor for my car but running into budget issues. . .i figured as is right now to get a decent power gain out of her i'd do all of these in the list *through time of course*

cc306 cam
behive springs
crane 1.6
pacesetter lts
ory
hooker catback
cutout
pro 5.0
NX nitrious kit

then later a 12 bolt as i'd rather do that before an extensive motor build

i've also come across the idea of boring out to a 355 while i have it apart. . .think that'll work for now until i get the money together for a full build and heads?

give me your advice info suggestions. . .a 306 will work with stock heads right?

- thanks for the info also taking suggestions on other catbacks . . .

later i'll do a 383 with heads and stages ect. . .but for now i figured this would help me keep up. . .car has some exhaust and what not as is right now that i bought it with but in highschool i never could afford to change it until now. . .
Old 03-03-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really depends on what you want you want the car to do now and later for the rebuild. If you spend the money on a 355 and stay naturally aspirated then you will need to change it later when you do a 383 on nitrous. I say pick one goal and work towards it because if you rebuild might as well forge it instead of a basic rebuild that will get torn apart later. As for the 306 it will peak more HP but have a less usable power band and you will not get the most out of stock heads with it. That cam really needs to breathe. Not to mention you will need to rev it past 6500 to get the most power from it.

So IMO do bolt ons now because you can always reuse them when you rebuild to whatever your liking is.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

hmm. . .well really i guess all i want to do is throw a cam in it and spray it . . . what cam would you suggest?
Old 03-04-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

I have a cc503. Chose it because it works great on stock heads and bottom end, nice little chop, and has the potential to also gain HP with ported heads. I have seen people end up with right under 400rwhp with this cam and ported heads.

Vids in my sig
Old 03-04-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah, i love the way your car sounds in the flyby. . .so you think with that cam on stock heads and spray it'll do what i want temp until i build a fully built motor?
Old 03-04-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

I'm hoping to break into 11's at Idalou with a little traction...on the spray of course! I'm hoping the motor will hold together until I can afford a Moser 9". I kinda have the same plans as you for when my motor goes. I want to go forged 383 with LE2 or LE3 and a 200-250 shot. If you were closer I'd let you drive my car so you can see how you like it. I really love my setup as is but you know it can never be enough. Especially with that little civic around here that runs 11.8 at Idalou! He really bugs the hell outta me.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

haha, yeah my buddies just dropped a b20 in their civic as is right now i'm like "**** i gotta get that cam in. . . ." only thing that worries me is the block has 179k miles on it and when i do the cam it'll need to be freashed if it'll take spray. . .

*edit* most are highway miles btw but still. . .
Old 03-04-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KriegerEhre
haha, yeah my buddies just dropped a b20 in their civic as is right now i'm like "**** i gotta get that cam in. . . ." only thing that worries me is the block has 179k miles on it and when i do the cam it'll need to be freashed if it'll take spray. . .
Do a comperssion test, if all the cyc's check out ok then your fine

But plan to have some money saved up later on to do a rebuild, or a bigger setup since you high miles and you plan on beating on it

I wouldnt worry about a B20, honda guys think they are somthing crazy but there arent unless very built

Ported head, Good cams, Intake manifold, good compression,a nice expensive header etc making 200-250whp yeah then its going to be moving out hard...

Other wise a fairly stock Frank B20( B18 or B16 vtech head) isnt going to be scary at all...13s meh
Old 03-04-2008, 12:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

oh no see that's the thing i helped em put it together it's cammed and has a nice expensive header bored throttle body intake manifold only thing it doesnt have is the ported head. . . .we just got it running and we'll see this weekend what it'll do after the 300 mile brake in on the cams. . .(motor came out of a crv) oh the compression is damn perfect!
Old 03-04-2008, 12:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KriegerEhre
oh no see that's the thing i helped em put it together it's cammed and has a nice expensive header bored throttle body intake manifold only thing it doesnt have is the ported head. . . .we just got it running and we'll see this weekend what it'll do after the 300 mile brake in on the cams. . .(motor came out of a crv)
Id be worried if it had a very well ported head, and alot of compression but if not meh

Even cammed, its going to be quick but Vs a Cammed LT1 its going to get walked hard
Old 03-04-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

Awww mileage is a problem for you then. I just rolled over 100k a month ago. If I were you and really wanted to go faster I'd do bolt ons because it might not have much left in it if you plan to race alot. Then when it blows do whatever build you want. But since it seems to me you already race quite a bit now so I'd suggest to save the money you would spend on mods this way when it goes you can afford a decent rebuild.

Here in Clovis there is like 4 turbo Hondas, turbo RSX, and a 9 second Talon. I know 2 of the Honda's for sure are high 11 second cars and 1 is a low 12. The other is fairly new so I don't know what he does. I don't know anything about the import motors or what "b" motor they have but they sure can build the hell outta them here!
Old 03-04-2008, 12:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

that's what i was worried about i didn't race it very often before and only raced it now because i just got it back and everyone got a new car. . .(and i didn't because i love my camaro too much) . . basicly once i got my car back i got alot of call outs. . .if you guys think that it wont last much longer i'd rather just buy a block and some heads and start on a build . . . .
Old 03-04-2008, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

Do like slick1851 said and do a compression test on your car and see how it looks. Thats the only way to see where your motor stands.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

*nod* that's defenitly what i plan to do first but like you said if not we'll have to see where i go from there . . .of course i'm going to go through the car and redo all basic boltons it has edelbrock headers into an ory into an edelbrock cat back and i hate it car sounds horrible imo. . .and edelbrock mids are shitty impo. . .
Old 03-04-2008, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

Never heard or saw any Edelbrock pieces on an LT1? Anyway I'd do bolt ons if your intent on doing mods and save the big money for later whether it be a rebuild or a cam swap. BTW I just joined texasstreetcars.com, are you a member?
Old 03-04-2008, 12:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

i'm on there. . .but not really an avid member i usually glimps at race lubbock and spam ***** on westtexasimports.net other than that like i said i'm on here lerkin - as you can tell by my posts

*edit* nvm i guess i never registered when it first opened. . . my bad but i've been on there only once or twice. . .
Old 03-04-2008, 01:09 AM
TECH Addict

I just joined to talk to a guy from Amarillo. Anyway good luck with whatever you decide to go with!
Old 03-04-2008, 01:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

defenitly man, i'll keep yeah updated!
Old 03-04-2008, 01:24 AM
TECH Addict

And I'll let you know next time I'm in Lubbock, both on here and racelubbock.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Do you have shorty headers or long tubes