Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Engine trouble!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine trouble!!!

I have a 1989 pontiac firebird with a 305 T.P.I.. And for some odd reaon my car constantly shuts off, especially when I make a sudden, hard stop. Now I just flushed out my fuel system and it still is shutting off. Does anyone know what the problem is? And when my car does shut off or even when I turn it off when I try to satrt it up it won't crank. The car has power to it because the radio and everything else cranks but it just won't turn over. And for that I have to wait about 5-10 minutes and then it will start. Does anyone have any suggestions or answers to that problem?
Old 03-04-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pontiac89
I have a 1989 pontiac firebird with a 305 T.P.I.. And for some odd reaon my car constantly shuts off, especially when I make a sudden, hard stop. Now I just flushed out my fuel system and it still is shutting off. Does anyone know what the problem is? And when my car does shut off or even when I turn it off when I try to satrt it up it won't crank. The car has power to it because the radio and everything else cranks but it just won't turn over. And for that I have to wait about 5-10 minutes and then it will start. Does anyone have any suggestions or answers to that problem?
i'm sorry but this is too vague to give specific advice.

does the car crank or not? does the car turn over and not start, or it does not turn over?

in these cases, can you hear the fuel pump turn on?

Have you checked fuel pressure?

when running OK.. if you floor the car, does it stall?
Old 03-04-2008, 04:04 PM

no the car does not crank it almost seems that the power stops at the ignition switch but I just switched it out. And yes i can hear the fuel pump when i try to turn the car on. And no when I floor it the car doesnt stall or I have not checked the fuel pressure. I have just been having trouble with this for a while and I can't seem to find the problem.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

test the starter
Old 03-04-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

but i think you have a short
Old 03-04-2008, 05:25 PM

Actually I forgot to mention that I did recently change out the starter. So I guess your saying it's in the wiring?
Old 03-04-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say short as well, but it sounds more like at the battery (loose cable). Could be at the battery though too. Just go tighten everything and give that a try. Sadly the TPI isn't smart enough to detect most problems newer cars would trip a code for if something was serious. I don't even know if a TPI has a low oil sensor or not (side of the oil pan).
Old 03-04-2008, 05:39 PM

ok thanks I'll try that.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Formula350
Could be at the battery though too.
Oops, I meant starter there, not battery. But still check the battery like I said before that.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Launching!

what about the brake booster? when they go bad and come to sudden stops it can go as far to kill the motor. hows your brakes?
Old 03-04-2008, 06:38 PM

my brakes work great but sometimes I can just be sitting at a light and it will shut off but before it does the RPM's usually jump around a little bit as in drop to about 100-200(about to shut off) and back up to 1000 and then shut off.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

I guess that could be a vacuum issue. My mechanic was just standing behind me and I showed him your post lol "NO ******* idea!", so yea um, stay positive? >_>
Old 03-04-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think a short.. i would confirm the starter is OK and not overheating, but i thnk i would start at the negative battery cable and work back.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

This doesn't exactly explain ALL of it, but IF the car has too low of oil pressure, the sudden stop would slosh the remaining oil to the front of the pan and then create even lower OP and then the computer may kill it. That's only IF the 727 ECM is that smart heh The only problem there, is that it would at least crank over after that. I can't see the ECM, assuming it even is capable in the first place, of creating a 'cool down' period before it'll let you restart.

Just speculation really.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Formula350
This doesn't exactly explain ALL of it, but IF the car has too low of oil pressure, the sudden stop would slosh the remaining oil to the front of the pan and then create even lower OP and then the computer may kill it. That's only IF the 727 ECM is that smart heh The only problem there, is that it would at least crank over after that. I can't see the ECM, assuming it even is capable in the first place, of creating a 'cool down' period before it'll let you restart.

Just speculation really.
the computer is not that smart... that's not possible.

and at this point, until some of my initial queries are answered by the OP, i have no further comment.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BadGTho
the computer is not that smart... that's not possible.

and at this point, until some of my initial queries are answered by the OP, i have no further comment.
I REALLY didn't think it was sadly. My TPI knowledge is dwindling and being replaced slowly by LT1 knowledge heh (Not that my 93 is any diff than a TPI's ECM)
Old 03-05-2008, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

I had an identical issue with my 89 Formula a decade or so ago. Replaced the fuel pump and countless other things but the problem kept returning. Finally replaced a fuel pump relay. Never happened again.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by redarrow
I had an identical issue with my 89 Formula a decade or so ago. Replaced the fuel pump and countless other things but the problem kept returning. Finally replaced a fuel pump relay. Never happened again.
Some of the weirdest things cause some of the most serious problems.

TOTALLY unrelated, but I had a computer where if I played video games for 10mins, the computer would lock up. I replaced everything... except the sound card. Took that out and my computer was fine. Sound worked fine too in Windows (music, videos, etc) I blame gremlins.

Quick Reply: Engine trouble!!!