Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New project Bandit Trans Am LS1 some questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Default New project Bandit Trans Am LS1 some questions

Having been around the LS1 swap game for 8 years now (FC and FD LS1 RX7s, and a lincoln mark VII LS1 4l60e) I have been asked by a couple of my friends to make sure their swaps are road ready. The car my buddy brought by today is a 78 Trans Am LS1 700R4 swapped car. It has been carbed with an Edelbrock electronic kit and carburetor hooked up to the shaker scoop.

I was asked to hook up the guages, and clean up the wiring. The oil pressure, no problem (Pontiac sender to LS1 oil gallery) Tach (Edelbrock stand alone to tach wire) Voltage is hooked up. Then there is the coolant temp guage, which I dont have the sender in hand to check the thread, but I remember the LS1 to be 12x125 or so. What is the best way to do this hookup?

The next question is regarding the 700r4 that he has bolted up to the engine. I dont think that there is any spacer for the convertor, and he has a question about hooking up the lock up electrics. Does the 700r4 nees a spacer to correct the distance between the crank and trans? In the 4l60E swap I did on the Lincoln, i remember that the trans needs 12v ignition and it needs to be switched at the brake pedal for unlocking. There is a kit at Jegs that converts this to vacuum? Is this needed or can I add a switch on the pedal for lockup or do I need both?

Sorry for all the questions, but with 3 LS1 hybrids in the garage these cars find me, and i would like to get them right. Usually I deal with the fuel injection, but being carbed and 700r4 this is a little different.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just lurking to see what I can find too. I would like to see a thread on your FN10 with the LS1 swap if there is one. I plan on doing one in an MN12 (same chassis) and just want to see what it looks like. As far as the sender for the coolant, I am almost 100% sure they will match. Since most every racing technology that deals with American cars starts with GM.

Chris
Old 03-04-2008, 11:00 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The pontiac sender is 3/8" NPT. I had the same sender problem so I chucked it in a lathe and cut it down and rethreaded it to 12mm x 1.50. You could probably do it with a drill and file though.

You either need a spacer or a torque convertor with an extended nose

You can use a kit from painless, B&M, jegs, etc or GM parts to make the TC lock up properly.