Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Could this be any more ironic!

Old 03-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could this be any more ironic!

So I bought my SLP loudmouth exhaust a couple of weeks ago and it finally arrived yesterday afternoon when I got home from work. One can imagine I was eager to get the old stock system off and install the new one right away. Cut to five hours later, I finally get the bitch of an old stock system off and the new one on looks and sounds great. I'm a bit leary of the ground clearance, but everything fits and I'm not near any moving parts, IE driveshaft.

Cut to today. So of course I am ready to boast about my new exhaust to my coworkers, show it off, the whole shebang. I'm guessing this is where my downfall starts.

Cut to lunch today, "Hey everybody lets go to Peco's, I'm driving, you gotta hear this new exhaust." Most of my coworker's drive either Beamer's or Hondas, So I feel righteously justified in my demeanor. Upon leaving, we get to Lander on the SW side of the City going east towards 4th. I see train tracks ahead and slow down a bit understandably so since TAs don't fare well over those road sores anyways. As you might be able to gather by now, I then hear a large CLANK!!! followed by my coworker, "Dude, there goes your muffler!", referring to the SLP resonator which just gone torn out from the underside of my car.

What the hell, I've heard of bad luck, and ironic situations, but that is just plain, ...., well I can't even think of a word that described my feelings at that exact moment.

At any rate, cut to now, many thanks to the gentlemen at Stan's in Auburn. They were able to fix the bent elbow and Y which go over the drive shaft. As for the resonator, that silly concept is no more and will be replaced by an equal length piece of steel that they fabbed for me to take its place.

Guess I'm just frustrated and wanted to vent, but this little bump isn't gonna stop me from continuing to MOD, but rather prepare me for how to MOD in the future.

P.S. I put the first intermediate pipe that connects to the stock with with the offset end closer to the ground. Is that right? If I did it the other way it put the resonator way to close to driveshaft for my liking. Let me know if you have any input on SLP loudmouth.

P.S. -
Old 03-05-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey, life has its moments. Reminded me of the time I was cruising home in my shiney black 1969 Chevelle in Seattle. Just crossed a major intersection and right in front of about 40 people waiting for a bus, my driveshaft falls off. I had to coast to a stop on the side, get out and walk back to get my driveshaft out of the middle of the road. Had the same thing happen with a muffler once too. Live and learn to tuck those babies up there. You'll wow the Honda guys another day.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

i was showing off to my friends because i have electric cutouts and one day im like ya we can go to tacobell in my car i get there and its just me and my buddy inthe car we pull in the drive way and scrape the cutouts, order our food and leave through a different driveway when we hear another louder scrape then there goes the y-pipe ive put it back on about 6 times scince ive had the car now i just stay out of driveways
Old 03-06-2008, 06:50 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn... sorry to laugh but you couldnt have scripted that any better. Oh well things happend and we deal with them and move on. Great attitude dont let it stop you from moding that into what you want it to be.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:52 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I suppose I should have mentioned that the ground clearance on the loudmouth sucks ***... My T/A is stock height and has less ground clearance than my Formula does being dropped 2".
Old 03-06-2008, 10:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that really sucks man. Sorry to hear about your initial modding gone bad lol.... Welcome to the board too by the way.

Mike
Old 03-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hehehe, we took my dad's 68 step side out once when I was 16. OF course without permission and proceded to go to the local sandpit for some fun and rip off the muffler on the first hill we crested.. LMAO It was riot, we were all ahem.. stoned.. and it was the funiest thing ever. 6 cylinder open pipe.. sounded like it was under water blop blop blop... we got out shoved it back on and kept going. He never knew.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Well, with some elbow grease and determination I got it all back together. Instead of the goofy Resonator concept, I now have a 3" stainless steel pipe in its place. Sounds exactly maybe a little throatier and ground clearance is better. Its not super pretty on the rear side as I can't get the tips to rest all the way up into the openings on the rear bumper, but it'll do. Talk about a learning experience.

Tell ya what, the tools I realized I needed throughout this whole process which I didn't have to start with are a rubber mallet, sawzaw ( cuttin steel with a hacksaw sucks ***), and 15 mm deepwell for half in. drive. Somehow, note: I have a sears tool chest as tall as me, I have almost every size range of socket for every drive size except for that son of bitch, and I didn't realize this until I had the car jacked up. Oh and a pair of 420's would of been nice to.

Oh well, upon looking back it sucked, but I'm going to laugh, live, and learn from this. Thanks for the posts and stories, they were both comforting and helpfull.

P.S. - Who needs to work out when you can do this stuff, i'm sore all over.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Could this be any more ironic!