Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

? for LT1 guys with a 9"

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ? for LT1 guys with a 9"

I got a housing and axel package with a separate center section. I was doing a dry run, loosly assembling everthing before taking my axels to get the bearings and reluctor rings pressed on and I do not see how you will be able to get to the nuts for the backing plates. The backing plates will be very close to the reluctor ring and it seems like I will not be able to get a socket on it. You obviosly cannot use a wrench on them because the holes in the LT1 backing plates are recessed. How the hell do you tighten the bolts?
Old 03-18-2008, 05:05 PM
10 Second Club

Its even worse than I thought. There is a little over 1/2" between the reluctor gear and the backing plate. Any ideas?
Old 03-22-2008, 12:03 AM
10 Second Club

Well after having to have my bearing pressed back off, I found out what to do. You have to grind access "channels" in the backing plates so you can get a wrench in there. I also took an old cheapy 9/16" wrench and ground down the closed end until it fit in the recessed hole. Thanks to Moser for sending me new bearings at no charge. Hoefully they will update their instructions for 93-97 cars with 4 channel ABS. Heres what the plates look like after grinding.
Attached Thumbnails ? for LT1 guys with a 9"-lt1brakeplate.jpg