General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

The Infamous Ticking

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 05:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Infamous Ticking

ok folks, ive been searching about this ever since i got my car. ive exhausted all means of finding out what it is before posting here. this is really my last resort. the car has been ticking ever since i bought it in november '07. mods are in my sig. car has 98k on it. i just did the seafoam last night. ticking is still there. i have checked for plugs, wires, rocker arms, pushrods, changed oil, and exhaust leaks. it is coming from the driver side of the motor. you can hear it when above the motor, but can tell it is coming from the bottom of the motor. when you kneel down below the driver door, it is a lot louder. it is a constant ticking. always there, from a cold start, warm start, idle, revving, and in all gears at all rpms. except in 6th, i really cant hear it in 6th gear. not sure why. the higher the rpms, the faster the ticking goes. im thinking lifters, but what throws me off is the noise is louder under the car near the tranny. if you are in the driver seat and draw a line straight down from the gauges to the floor and run that line to the console, its coming from around that area or closer to the engine. sorry for the length, just wanted to give as much detail as possible. oh yeah, oil pressure is good, about 50-55 on cold start, about 60 at wot, and 40 at idle and normal driving. and last time i changed my oil, there were little metal shaving. no bearings or little pins, just shavings. im changing it tomorrow so i will see if there are still shavings. i will take a video either today or tomorrow and post it up for yall.

UPDATE!!!!

i am getting the stuff in my sig put on right now and the guy working on it said that i had a broke lifter. so that is good news, cuz i thought i had a spun bearing.

Last edited by badazz99ta; 09-25-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Piston slap?????
Old 03-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Piston slap?????
doubtful on a 98

get a mechanic stethescope and pinpoint the ticking.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking a lifter, if you have eliminated everything you said you did. Try a stethoscope, a lot of times noise travels and may seem like it is coming from somewhere else than it originates.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Sometimes an exhaust leak sounds like a ticking? That would explain the location.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Spun Bearing Maybe? Or Slop In One Of The Bearing Journals?
Old 03-06-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gtarist
Sometimes an exhaust leak sounds like a ticking? That would explain the location.
I agree with this, but he said he already checked for leaks.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

well i think im going to take it to another exhaust shop and check for a leak again and while they are under there i will see if they can use the stethescope. now i kind of hope it is a lifter rather than a spun bearing or any of that other bad ****. i really appreciate the feedback guys.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by badazz99ta
well i think im going to take it to another exhaust shop and check for a leak again and while they are under there i will see if they can use the stethescope. now i kind of hope it is a lifter rather than a spun bearing or any of that other bad ****. i really appreciate the feedback guys.
start the car up and before it gets warm, spray soapy water where all the connections are in the exhaust, look for bubbles indicating a leak...
Old 03-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

You said you Seafoamed last night. Have you driven with the Seafoam in the crankcase about 100-150 miles? If you haven't, do that first. Then change the oil/filter and see if the ticking is still there.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by m6speed
doubtful on a 98

get a mechanic stethescope and pinpoint the ticking.
agreed, an doesn't the slap usually go away after it warms up, or at least sound quieter? My car started ticking a little bit after I changed the sparkplugs--I came to the conclusion that it was probably the EGR pipe gasket because i removed it to get to a couple of the plugs, Since I was getting headers anyway, I didnt really worry about it an as soon as they were installed it went away. +1 for a stethoscope
Old 03-06-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

yeah, i drove it for about 110 miles that night and got the oil changed today and put mystery marvel or whatever its called in there. and i will try the soapy water trick. i think im just gonna have to nut up and change the lifters. but im not gonna do it unless i get some better heads though. like some 243s or something. that way i will want to take the heads off. i just want to be 100% sure its the lifters before i tear it apart. thanks again fellas
Old 03-06-2008, 10:25 PM
12 Second Club

Your ticking could just be the tensioner assembly, my 2002 has been ticking from day one. But 1) a rapid clicking noise that becomes faster as the engine accelerates indicates a worn piston pin or piston pin hole, this happens each time the piston hits the highest and lowest points. 2) clicking noise coming from the water pump indicates worn or damaged water pump bearing or pump. 3) rapid tapping sound or clicking that becomes faster as engine speed increases indicates valve tapping or stuck valve lifters. 4) a steady rattling or rapping coming from timing chain cover area indicates a worn, damaged or out of adjustment timing chain. Good luck
Old 03-06-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

exhaust leak....check again
Old 03-07-2008, 06:36 AM
Teching In

I had it...it was a loose spark pug.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Banned

My '02 has had it from the first oil change.
Parts changed under warranty:
Tensioner pullies, idler pulley, both belts.
Power steering pulley.
Lifters.
Somehow the noise was gone for a week and came back.
Then all of a sudden it's normal to make the noise as per GM.
Guess thats why they changed all the stuff

That was 25,000 miles ago and the noise hasn't changed at all. It's seen redline a bunch of times, and has been run hard.

I do inspect the oil and cut open the filter every time and usually find nothing. If you find metal you might have a problem developing.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:34 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

probably the EGR pipe gasket

x2
Old 03-07-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had the exact same issue before and could never figure it out, finally dropped the pan when I changed my K-member and come to find out the connecting rod bolts were slightly scraping along the splash guard and it also left little metal shavings. Hope this helps.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by pjb
probably the EGR pipe gasket

x2
That will result in a sucking sound...not ticking... And a check-engine light.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:59 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

everything I've ever heard or read says it will cause a ticking sound. quick, easy, cheap, sounds like worth a shot to me. or just go ahead and assume its something major.