General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Not starting.. HELP! :<

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not starting.. HELP! :<

I tried starting my car a few days ago and it was dead so I figured its been awhile since Ive started it and sometimes it does that in the cold so I got my friend to jump me and started fine, moved it, turned off, started again, worked fine.

Now I was going for a drive today since its nice out and low and behold it wont start. All lights/electrical seem fine in the car, alarm/locks work, radio etc. All it will do when i turn the key is crank once then click.. im so tired of this..

Please tell me what it is and how do I fix this!!
Old 03-06-2008, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd have the battery load tested first to eliminate it as the problem, free at most auto parts stores. If you have a digital volt meter see what the reading is across the terminals - you can have enough volts to run the radio, etc. but not enough CCA to turn the engine over.

Edit: Since you have a '99 are the gauges sweeping/trip odo resetting? If so probably low voltage.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

When the key is in ACC everything works, the voltage says between the 8 and 13 so about 10. And yes the clock/trip resets.

Could it be the: Starter? Alternator? Battery? even the VATS?
Old 03-06-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

My guess is the battery since the trip is resetting. Start there.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone else? Ive to wait to get rides to these damn places now so, I could use some input till then.
Thanks
Old 03-10-2008, 02:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

uh yes, def battery if everything keeps reseting and its sitting at 10v. battery is sulfated, anything below 10.6= no good for a battery. i would try having it load tested, that should fix it. if not then think starter, but when u have a no start always start with the batter. check the connections make sure its clean, make sure no dirt/debris is on/around the top of the case and also check to make sure your battery connections are nice and tight
Old 03-10-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Damn battery is practically brand new, had the stocker replaced about 5k miles/1year ago. But I will be checking/cleaning the terminals today to see
Old 03-10-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

when you replace it a year ago did you do anything to the terminals?
when i put my stereo in some od years ago i got a new positive terminal so i could runeverything off of one terminal and as a result the power lead to the starter became loose from the terminal and would get a bad connection as a result of this power functions on the car remained unaffected but when i went to start the car it would crank or sometimes it would just click, like i had a bad battery, i would put a voltage meter on the battery and see what its says. but more than likely your battery could be toast. depending where you got it from most are prorated and if its only been a year you should be able to get something for your trouble might not be much but would be worth checking, just depends on what battery you have
Old 03-10-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

When I hooked up my amp awhile ago I put that onto one of the terminals as instructed, other than that I didnt replace them when i got the new battery, its a DieHard gold
Old 03-10-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had a diehard gold in my car once, only lasted about 20? months before it died. Brought it back to Sears and after it failed a load test they gave me the full purchase price back towards an optima red top. Check it's CCA too, the one they sold me was a 550, my helms says 690 for the LS1.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

could be vats also but as these guys stated check your battery first. What does the LED on the dash do when you try to start it? try cleaning your key and scraping the 2 contacts inside the ignition cylinder with a scribe or screwdriver to clean then up a little...worked for me
Old 03-11-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

Alright Im going to be taking the battery (I have a DieHard Gold, got from sears) back and try to get money back or something, even though I dont have receipt. I know Sears has a very lenient return policy with most of their products. I want to get an optima redtop, but my car is a v6 and the current batt has the terminals on the side, the redtop has them on the top.

Is there anything I have to do/adjust it for it connect? ( I also have a wire from my amp that has to be connected to the battery)
Old 03-16-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

All Fixed!

After not being able to get a reimbursement with my Die Hard battery at Sears.. (fkin kid couldnt find my warranty information) I took it to advance and bought an Optima Red top. Also replaced the bolts for the terminals.

Its alive!
Thanks for help