Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple questions about a carburated LS-1 in a 1972 Nova

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Couple questions about a carburated LS-1 in a 1972 Nova

I've been doing some research lately and starting to compile a list to go ahead and get the ball rolling!

First question - Has anybody used the 6LS timing controller from MSD. That seems to be the way to go as I will use a Victor Jr. intake, the Holley HP750 I already have as well as N/X Nitrous Plate.

Is the 6LS an easy install? It seems to be simple enough. Also does it comes with the software to adjust timing, timing retard, and two step controls?

Next is there are SFI approved Flexplates that have the dual bolt pattern (LS and Traditional style Converters)... The reason I ask is that I have a very nice 4000 Vigilante Nitrous converter that I use with my TH-350 and would hate to have to order another one. Are there going to be any prohibitive differences between an LS-1 specific Th-350 stall and the one I currently have for my traditional small block.

I'm looking forward to saving 80lbs off the front end from my all iron forged 355 I have now, camming, gassing, and stalling an LS1 in a 3100 pound car with me in it

Also - what does everyone do for motor mounts? Is there a site supporter that sells them? I know for headers I'll purchase a set of 1st Gen. Camaro swap headers as I have the same front sub-frame.

I can't wait to see what everyone has to say about it when it's all buttoned up and I pull the hood back off without anyone knowing what I did --- 21 and haulin ***!

Thanks in advance!

Will

Last edited by 72chevy2; 03-06-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will let you know more later, but right now I have a 6LS box. I just got it in and was reading the instructions. It really isn't very hard to install, it does have a rev-limiter and a two step. It does have a boost reference retard and a bunch of other stuff. I did alot of research on this cause everyone I talked to has the old box that only comes with the rpm pills . I called MSD and talked to a guy for almost an hour before I ordered mine, and they didn't really know a whole lot about it , but he and I put together stuff I read and stuff that he read(stuff they look up for answers to callers with tech questions) and came up with some usefull info. First off you need to go to MSD's website and you can download the 6LS software for free. His recommendation was to store it somewhere on my computer and leave it there until I bought and installed a USB to Serial port adapter. Now the thing is , you have to install the USB to Serial port adapter before you install the 6LS software . He said the reason is , that if you do it backwards then the 6LS program won't work right and you will have to reinstall it. On the MSD website they tell you what USB to Serial port adapter to buy because some of them don't work real well. As far as the converter, I think the traditional style converter will work but you have to buy some kind of spacer of some sort. I had my converter custom built by PTC. As far as motor mounts I don't know if anyone makes them for your chassis yet , they might , but I don't know. You can always build your own, I have an 86 mustang coupe , so I just got the AJE K-Member. Your car is cooler, but mine will hopefully only weigh in at around 2600 lbs. with out me . Talking about fun......anyway if you need anymore help let me know, like I said I will gladly let you know more once I get mine installed and play with it a little, should be around april or so....
Old 03-06-2008, 04:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few different configurations of mounts in stock to install your engine into the chassis.
These work great in that frame

The 6ls works just fine also...

Quick Reply: Couple questions about a carburated LS-1 in a 1972 Nova