Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

I'm thinking about joining the airforce or the navy...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I'm thinking about joining the airforce or the navy...

I've kind of thought about this for a few yrs off and on. But I think its quickly becoming a reality that I need to join. Before I go off and see recruiters. I thought i'd get some opinions from you guys. I personally would prefer joining the airforce, but last I checked, they dont have gauranteed jobs anymore. I really dont want to swear in and get stuck with some **** job. I took the asvab once when I almost joined the military and got an 85(they said it was good, but I also know they say what you want to hear ) Anyways, my question to you guys. Is how did you decide which branch to join? and do you have any regrets?
by the way, my dad, mom, and stepmom are all retired airforce. My brother is currently in the navy.
also i have about 70-80 college credits... that will likely start me out as a e2?
any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Patrick.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im currently in DEP for AF and my job was guaranteed in writing and i got a lower score than you did so you should be alright. tell them straightforward exactly what you want to do, they will try to pursuade you into doing something you probably dont want to (based on your qualifications). if you have a lot of college credits try to become an officer, for enlisted i believe a 4/4 year active/inactive youll start as E2. 6/2 you'll start as E3 (airman first class) my best advice to you is go to both recruiters and get as much information possible, ask a lot of questions.. there will be some stuff they will not tell you, then make your decision. JW but what are you looking to do?
Old 03-06-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Unfortunately, Im not sure. Most of my college has been for marketing/business, but when it comes to the military, I'm not sure what I want to be. Theres so many different routes I can go. My brother used to work at nsa doing cryptology and I kind of thought about that. so the airforce does guaranteed jobs now? I checked a couple yrs back. And the way they did it then, was that you chose 3 categories of what you want to do, but you wouldnt find out your actual job etc till later? and I'll probably check in with a recruiter either early this next week, or once I get back from spring break.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

also, I would love to become an officer... but I know that I cant finish school before I join the military.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they do give you 3 choices, like mine were fire control, fuel systems, and cop. i got fuel systems cause thats what i wanted. they'll also give you 1 field. (mechanic, general etc.) in case you dont get a job before basic, they'll have to assign you one in that field. but tell them this is what you want i was going to join today.. but if i dont get it im not joining. that usually does them over lol.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Junkie

im in the Navy now, and it's not too bad. I enlisted as an Electronic Warfare tech, and we got merged with Cryptologic Technicians...so im a Cryptologist now. AF and Navy both have their ups and downs. AF has a lot of people in the sand now, and the Navy doesn't (however the Navy is sending more and more people each year). Navy deployments are 6 months vice 12 or 15 compared to other branches. AF has hotter women..lol Everyone assumes the AF is easier than other branches, but it all depends on what you do.

What jobs are you looking at?

Ive been on 2 ships in the Navy, and now i have orders to be a recruiter. But i dont leave for recruiting school until July 27th.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

go with AF.. they get all the best ****
Old 03-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by djfury05
go with AF.. they get all the best ****
Thats what everyone says. But being in the AF you won't really know any different unless you're on other branches bases.

You can get a guaranteed job. Don't let the recruiter lie to you about it. If they start to say something you're not wanting to hear, just be like "Nah, you're lying, I'm going to talk to xxxxxx other branch" and leave. They'll call you and give you what you want. As far as going officer, it wouldn't hurt to talk to the recruiter about ROTC program or something similar.

I joined the AF based on other peoples opinions of the branches they were in and how they viewed the other branches.

Oh and an 85 on the ASVAB is good.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Where are all these hot women in the Air Force? I keep banging the wookies! WTF?

-justin
Old 03-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Launching!

o yea forgot to add my .02, enlist for 4 if you join... don't do 6! Whatever you do, you may find you either completely hate it, or completely love it!

-justin
Old 03-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Air Force for the win!

Although the Navy does have better chow halls.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PotentialZ28
Air Force for the win!

Although the Navy does have better chow halls.
"Dining Facilities"

I thought they called them "Mess Decks"?
If you see teh hot womens, send them my way
Old 03-06-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm an AF guy and I'm not gonna say join the AF or join the Navy because our preferences may be different. On the other hand, do as much unbiased research as you can, then make your decision. I think you're in a good situation seeing as you have family relatives that have serve/served in the two Military Branches you're considering to join. Sit down and pick their brains a bit about their experiences with the Branch they served in as well as ask them questions about stuff double check with them frequently to ensure that the info you're getting from your research isn't crap. Best of luck with your decision...
Old 03-07-2008, 01:01 AM
Staging Lane

ok it really comes down to what you want to get out of the military. The airforce is pretty bad about advancing slowly because theres so many people. I made E5 in the navy in 3.5 yrs and I had skipped a test cycle early on in my career and I got frustrated taking a test so I did some dumb **** on that test. oh well moved on made E5 before the end of my first enlistment. In the navy you get your job guarenteed to you before you sign a contract period. No exceptions. And we dont have the open contract anymore. You will go to school for the job that you choose. with that many college credits you will get E3 automatically and it will state that in the contract as well. I just left navy recruiting a few months ago and I had been good friends with the air force recruiter. He said it himself that you pick three jobs and when one of those 3 come up they call you and ask you do you want this. you say yes or no. You can wait up too 18 months to go to bootcamp is what he told me. bootcamp for the airforce is 6 1/2 weeks its 8 weeks in the navy plus a week of processing. The biggest difference between the airforce and the navy is job training atleast to me. I work with aircraft and we dont have nearly as many people working on them as the airforce does. We have to be more diverse in the knowledge of our job then most anyone else. We dont have the luxuary of alot of space on a carrier therefore you have to multi task your people more on a ship. Like it was said earlier both have there ups and downs.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

GO AF! I love it!
Old 03-07-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ARMY, ya it not your choice but it all depends on what you want to do!
Old 03-07-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chieftransam
GO AF! I love it!
I agree....but I'm biased. Most people will say they like the branch they're currently in. Make your decision based on people who are NOT happy with their branch. Find out why they are not happy and you'll be able to decide then.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:04 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Navy, I also was an EW, I liked it. I was maintenance, but also an operator. Best of both worlds.
I thought our tech training was better than the rest at the time. It's not like you can walk over to supply
and just throw parts at a problem. At sea, you better be a good tech, and do it with whatever you can.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
I've kind of thought about this for a few yrs off and on. But I think its quickly becoming a reality that I need to join. Before I go off and see recruiters. I thought i'd get some opinions from you guys. I personally would prefer joining the airforce, but last I checked, they dont have gauranteed jobs anymore. I really dont want to swear in and get stuck with some **** job. I took the asvab once when I almost joined the military and got an 85(they said it was good, but I also know they say what you want to hear ) Anyways, my question to you guys. Is how did you decide which branch to join? and do you have any regrets?
by the way, my dad, mom, and stepmom are all retired airforce. My brother is currently in the navy.
also i have about 70-80 college credits... that will likely start me out as a e2?
any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Patrick.
WHY is it becoming a reality?

IF you are already financially troubled, joining the military will not help the situation, will make it FAR more problems.

WHY do you want to join the military? And don't say "To Serve My Country", I've head that to many times, and it's 99.9999% false when somebody says that.

I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying to get you to realize WHY you want to join.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Splitz
WHY is it becoming a reality?

IF you are already financially troubled, joining the military will not help the situation, will make it FAR more problems.

WHY do you want to join the military? And don't say "To Serve My Country", I've head that to many times, and it's 99.9999% false when somebody says that.

I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying to get you to realize WHY you want to join.
Bc even if I do finish my marketing degree. I'm not sure if I'll actually "use" it. And yes the military will help me financially, not sure why/how it wouldnt? My brother was in a shitty spot a few yrs back. and it helped him out. I think he's already an e6 and has only been in for 5 yrs IIRC. I'm a smart guy. Given the oppurtunities. I believe I can excel in the military/make a career out of it.
I didnt come in here to try to have people help me decide if I should go in the military or not. I can decide that on my own. Just trying to get some opinions/hear some experiences of some of the people that are in the navy/AF.

Quick Reply: I'm thinking about joining the airforce or the navy...