Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Rear Mount Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Mount Turbo

i was just wondering how everyone liked their rear mounts im worried to put one on because im afraid of dragging it also i dont like the idea of having a boost pipe that long so rear mount good idea or bad?
Old 03-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Teching In

I have had mine for about 2 years. I first thought it was a little low. I had some brackets built that really helped keep it nice a tight and close up to the body of the car. I have not had any problems since. Love my STS kit
Old 03-07-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Regular

yea the clearance issue and running a oil line that far really scares me one of my friends had one on his ta and ripped it off pulling into a gas station
Old 03-07-2008, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm getting 10 psi in less than 2 seconds, filling an oversize pipe and a big fmic.

Currently I have a B&M deep pan on the auto transmission, and it hangs down lower than any part of the turbo setup. (will be going to a deep truck pan instead, won't be quite so low).

The oil line tucks up in the same place as the fuel and brake lines. If it's tucked up right, you won't be yanking it out. The lowest turbo related parts on mine are the pipe under the rear lca, and the pipe under the front lca.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Banned

I had a STS kit on my old LT1. I won't ever put an STS kit on a car again. A 2.0l Mitsubishi lags less. And once it did spool, it wasn't even that fast. I got walked by a stock LS1 Corvette.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FieroZ34
I had a STS kit on my old LT1. I won't ever put an STS kit on a car again. A 2.0l Mitsubishi lags less. And once it did spool, it wasn't even that fast. I got walked by a stock LS1 Corvette.
Well obviously you had something wrong with yours bud... The worlds fastest IRS vette is a sts powered one that runs in the 7's. So maybe instead of bashing the thing as a whole, look to what you had and realize that maybe something was wrong
Old 03-07-2008, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have had kit for almost 3 years, i laugh at people who worry about dragging the turbo or yanking an oil line. the kit is only as good as the person installing it. the first kits most people did not do what was needed to help spool the turbo, wrap the exhaust, run manifolds not headers etc... there are enough threads and information on this site especially from Zombie and Longrangue4u.

the kit makes great power , i currently have 500rwhp at 9psi through an A4.

good luck.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 68birdls1
Well obviously you had something wrong with yours bud... The worlds fastest IRS vette is a sts powered one that runs in the 7's. So maybe instead of bashing the thing as a whole, look to what you had and realize that maybe something was wrong
Nothing was wrong with it.

And the fastest Top Fuel drag car is in the 4s, with a roots supercharger. Doesn't mean it's good.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:52 PM
9 Second Club

There are lots of fast STS cars out there.All in the combo.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

what all do i need to do a rear mount turbo besides the actual turbo kit such as fuel stuff and what not what size of turbo should i use with ported heads big cam and double valve spring titanium retainers and cromoly push rods
Old 03-08-2008, 11:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ilikeppie
i was just wondering how everyone liked their rear mounts im worried to put one on because im afraid of dragging it also i dont like the idea of having a boost pipe that long so rear mount good idea or bad?
Had mine on since Feb 2006 and like it. The "origonal design" (ie how it comes out of the box) leaves much to be desired. I've modified the wiring harness, wrapped the exhaust, added a FMIC, soldered the electrical lines for the oil pump, changed the exhaust to a dump pipe after the axle, had an under-axle pipe added by TRT, etc. It took a while to get everything how I want it.

There's a lot to upgrade when adding to a stock car. Double springs are highly recommended, hardened pushrods are a must, high volume fuel pump, higher volume injectors, better clutch if it's a manual, (my personal recommendation...a wideband A/F gauge), and so on. Once all is added up the STS is the same cost as a Vortech or Procharger. There are many topics in this forum on what exactly is needed.

To answer ground clearance.....my driver side header collector is the lowest part of the car. That's with the DynaTech SupermaXX headers (which tuck up pretty decent). The FMIC adds significant front ground clearance over the non-intercooled stock STS pipe.

Hope that helps ya' a bit.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:54 AM
TECH Regular

alright sweet thanks
Old 03-09-2008, 01:26 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing was wrong with it.

And the fastest Top Fuel drag car is in the 4s, with a roots supercharger. Doesn't mean it's good.
You aren't perma banned yet? I am tired of seeing you spam up tech threads with unfounded non-sense.

You were wrong in BOTH of your posts in this thread. Keep trying.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

There are ways to keep it higher in the rear. I've banged the long pipe that runs up the driver's side once on a big speed bump. However, I was going too fast and it didn't do anything.

The pressurization of the pipes isn't a big deal...they've proved it works. BTW, if you do want the long pipe that runs up the driver's side, I have one for sale . I originally bought my kit for a non-vert only to find the underside of the cars are different
Old 03-09-2008, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ninetres
You aren't perma banned yet? I am tired of seeing you spam up tech threads with unfounded non-sense.

You were wrong in BOTH of your posts in this thread. Keep trying.

Anyway, yeh. You'll need injectors at the very minimum and probably a fuel pump, the stock one will be good for ~400-450 hp but not much more. I'd also look at an FMIC, probably would have saved me a motor. TRT makes a good one , I've got one installed on my car. Having a turbo car is a blast, and the pipes dragging isn't that bad, with the FMIC it gets alot better.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Teching In

A friend of mine put a 10psi sts kit on his 02 SS camaro and it stood out like a sore thumb and someone saw it and stole his whole car. Seeing that pretty turbo hanging under the car is very tempting to steal. Plus i put a good set of heads and a good cam on my car and it was just as fast if not faster and it was alot cheaper than a sts kit.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:40 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MonochromeSS

Anyway, yeh. You'll need injectors at the very minimum and probably a fuel pump, the stock one will be good for ~400-450 hp but not much more. I'd also look at an FMIC, probably would have saved me a motor. TRT makes a good one , I've got one installed on my car. Having a turbo car is a blast, and the pipes dragging isn't that bad, with the FMIC it gets alot better.
What's with the stupid sign pointing to my post? He was wrong in both of his posts in this thread. Its BEYOND proven a properly installed rear mount can make endless power and spool plenty fast.....and he somehow made the inference that a roots superchared top fuel car isn't a good set-up. He lost me there.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Banned

What's with the stupid sign pointing to my post? He was wrong in both of his posts in this thread. Its BEYOND proven a properly installed rear mount can make endless power and spool plenty fast.....and he somehow made the inference that a roots superchared top fuel car isn't a good set-up. He lost me there.
So properly installed means redoing the entire kit? It should come out of the box "proper," not I have to spend $1000 to get it to spool decent. And FWIW, my exhaust was wrapped. The lag still sucked.

Roots superchargers are simply amazing. That's why every Cobra owner's 3rd mod is replacing it.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

I was agreeing with you, sorry for the confusion. As i have a rear mount, I'm not hating on it. Plus i have the hated long tubes and unwrapped exhaust and it spools pretty damn quick for me.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:00 PM
9 Second Club

So properly installed means redoing the entire kit? It should come out of the box "proper," not I have to spend $1000 to get it to spool decent. And FWIW, my exhaust was wrapped. The lag still sucked.

Roots superchargers are simply amazing. That's why every Cobra owner's 3rd mod is replacing it.
Did you think installing a turbo kit is as simple as installing a lid? If you aren't ready to spend $1k more than the cheapest turbo kit on the market......Get the F%$@ out of the FI section and go buy a whistle tip exhaust pipe.

If you have stock manifolds (wrapped) and a COMPLETELY wrapped hot-side, and STILL had lag issues, then you must have accidentally installed the kit on your 3.4l Fiero. I have a friend with a rear mount t76gts (kinda big for a rearmount), 346ci, wrapped LONGTUBES, and a wrapped hotside, and he sees 15lbs by 3800rpms.

And roots super-chargers do suck. In fact, my friend (and fabricator) just did some tuning on his cobra. It only made 507hp/479ft to the tires on Whipple's own dyno. He has a cold air intake, cut-outs, and ported STOCK EATON blower. What a turd. 3 mods and hello bottom 11s.....wait, he already went 11.60 before he ported the blower.

It is a shame that some members might read your posts and actually think there is truth to them.