Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 builders i have a rod bearing QUESTION!! please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 12:38 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 builders i have a rod bearing QUESTION!! please help

ok ill try to explain this the best i can.. theres a step im confused on.. it says make sure the rods are installed with proper clocking in relation to the pistons, becuase the bearings are chamfered on only one side to clear the rolled fillet on the crank..

it was easy to tell which way the factory rods are suppost to face, becuase they are machined a certain way.. but im installing eagle H beam forged rods and its just impossible to tell which way they are to face.

im pretty sure the "chamfered" side of the bearings are the side with the little notch on them..

im pretty sure the notched part on the cap side bearing, goes with the notched part on the rod side bearing (like in the pic, also this was how the factory positioned them)

my QUESTION is which way is the rod to face on the crank????? meaning the notches are to either be on one side... or the other.. any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 03-07-2008, 12:49 AM
Launching!

Default ..

heres another example... umm heres the the number 1 piston which is the first on the crank.. there are 2 ways the rod can face.. i cant figure out which way... here are the 2 options.. (the notched part of the bearings are circled)

Old 03-07-2008, 01:39 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

On aftermarket rods the bearing tangs need to face away from the cam or engine centerline. On the stock rods half were one way and the other half opposite (all pistons installed the same, #1 piston can be used in #2 hole, etc.). With aftermarket rods half the pistons will end up reversed compared to stock, odd # will be one way, and even # cylinders will be opposite. There is also an upper and lower rod bearing, the upper is the one on the rod itself, lower is rod cap.

When its all said and done, none of the chamfered edges will be together, the chamfers on lets say #1 and #2. #1 will be facing the front of the engine, while #2 will be facing the rear on the same crankpin.

Last edited by -Joseph-; 03-07-2008 at 01:47 AM.

Quick Reply: ls1 builders i have a rod bearing QUESTION!! please help