General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Lt1 Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 Fuel Pump

ive got a 97 T/A WS6 LT1 and my fuel pump just went out...i know this is LS1tech forums but ppl told me that yall could help...i was told that its easier to cut away the rear above the tank and pull it out from the top but i dont wanna catch my car on fire..lol...i was also told that there is some kind of stencil used to cut out a pattern in the right spot....i still need to check and see if the fp relay is bad cuz im posting this at work....any help will be very much appreciated....THANKS!!! damn LT1
Old 03-08-2008, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally wouldnt hack up my car. All you have to do is drop the exhaust in the rear and the tank comes out. Its no big deal. Chances of getting the hole in the right spot are slim, not to mention there are wiring harnesses and such that can be damaged as a result of cutting from the top. Its not too big of a deal even in a driveway with a floor jack. Just do it from the bottom and save some trouble.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

ive done it both ways, and i have a 4 post lift.= id much rather cut it, and just pop rivet some new sheet metal back on. cutting is was easier
Old 03-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Teching In

http://www.taekwondoplus.org/z28/fuelpump.html
Old 03-09-2008, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

When I changed my fuel pump on my lt1 I changed it by cutting the hole. Id worry more about the fuel lines coming out of your tank that the wires. Just be careful the metal, it is about 1/16" thick so when using the cutting tool just don't go too deep. I did it with no experience and I'm still alive so you shouldn't have too hard of a time doing it
Old 03-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Teching In

its done!!! i went with cutting the trunk. kinda scary but i had the fire extinguisher right there just in case even though it would have been useless. lol....i just wanna say thanx for everybodys help!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by suthernprd
its done!!! i went with cutting the trunk. kinda scary but i had the fire extinguisher right there just in case even though it would have been useless. lol....i just wanna say thanx for everybodys help!!!
It wouldn't have been useless if you'd caught on fire. Ha ha, good to hear it went well. I had to change mine twice on my previous LT1 and it was a bitch. Should've cut the metal in the first place.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

Changed my fuel pump out the other day by using the trap door method. I didn't have many sparks from the dremel tool i used. Saved me alot of money. The dealership was going to charge me $700 to do it and a local auto shop quoted $586. Cost me about $240 for parts including the fuel filter. Took about 2 hours and that includes cutting the panel,removing the pump and installing it back in the car. I never could have done it the conventional way. Thanks to LS1 Tech i was able to fix my own car and save alot of money.I can use that money on something else. All i have left to do is cut out a new panel for the hole and i am through. By the way there are no gas fumes or extra noise from this on my car. Just thought i would share my experience with this.