LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

another opti question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default another opti question

alright, well i have came to the mild conclusion that my opti has finally petered out on me after 150k miles... so, now i am basically wanting to know my options... i have a 94 non vented opti on the car now, and i know i could either go with another non vented opti, run a vented opti, get an msd opti, or any of those other routes... but my main question is, what would be the recommended way to go with getting a new opti? also, if i went with a non vented or vented, i would probably try to find an oem gm one from ebay, so id like to know from those that have gotten their optis from ebay, who are the sellers you bought yours from, and those that have gotten the fake gm opti's that are supposedly junk, who sells those also so i dont mess that up... also, if anyone has the info of if i did go vented, what all new harness connectors and hoses and such would i need to get to make my non vented system a vented system? also, for the msd guys, where did you get your stuff from, and what all else is required in changing these? or are the msd replacements just the cap and rotor? basically, if you have any links to any of the stuff you got, or any other links that would help or anything like that, throw it at me please!
thanks
oh, and by the way... my problem is that i have misfires in cylinders 2 and 3.. thats what the scan told me as i putted my car into the shop at the school
Old 03-07-2008, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The MSD cap and rotor kit will convert your existing setup to vented, long as your existing base is working which it is this is what I would do.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so technically i dont need a new opti? just a new cap and rotor?
Old 03-07-2008, 08:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well it is possible the missfire could be the wires or plugs, or heck, even injectors, but long as there are no opti hi or low resolution codes the base should be fine. The opti is just a distributor, most distributors guys preventatively replace the cap and rotor at tuneup time. Due to hassle and expense the opti cap and rotor are often neglected till the point of outright failure, does not mean the base is failed. Just means the cap and rotor that have to endure the arcing are worn out same as any other cap and rotor or sparkplug does.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well im guessing that it is either injectors or opti then because i replaced plugs and wires not even a month ago... but ya the more i think about it, the more i am thinking that i will go with buying msd cap and rotor first, and if that doesnt solve the problem once i do figure out that it is the opti for sure, then ill just replace the whole opti itself, and then i will have a msd cap and rotor to add to it... so i guess it wouldnt hurt to start cheap and then it would be an upgrade if that wasnt the full problem...
but i need to find out the actual problem and not speculate and just change parts on the fly, so it wont be till wed. before anything gets bought... but id just like to get ideas now

Quick Reply: another opti question