Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Swap and airbag issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 Swap and airbag issue

I swapped an LS1 into a 2000 v6 camaro. Everything was from a '00 doner T/A. The shop told me that the body harness from the v6 is different from the v8 and that the airbags wont deploy because of it.

Is there a fix for this? An adapter of some sort?

I have the airbag light on the dash which doesnt bother me as much as knowing that if I lose control Ill be eating steering wheel because of it.

Thanks for your time,
Shane
Old 03-07-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The body harness is the same. Said shop is not familiar with fbodies. The engine harness interfaces on the passenger side and at the underhood fuseboxes. The only systems w/in the engine harness and where it ties in at is powertrain related. The SRS system does not have to be disturbed or modified in any way to install a v8 into the original v6 f-car platform. No need to worry about it. If you wreck it the bags will deploy as gm designed them to. If the swap is done and the SRS light is on then there is a problem. As long as the SRS light is off after the engine starts the internal self check deemed all necessary sensors and deployment loops to be satisfactory and in working order. It does not know the difference between a v6 and v8.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the response. The light is still on long after the swap. It starts blinking when the car is started an remains on afterwords. I wasnt sure if it was because the PCM came from a wrecked car and that the computer still sees it as the airbags have deployed. Are there some connections I can check.
Thanks again,
Shane

Last edited by snatch; 03-08-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Bump Bump!! Ive checked all the fuses as well as the connection behind the radio and everything seems solidly connected. What else could I be missing??
Thanks Shane
Old 03-08-2008, 04:01 PM
10 Second Club

you will have to get it scanned and see what air bag codes you get

even if you fix the problem the light will still be on,, air bag codes will not go away till you clear them with a scan tool
Old 03-08-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a simular issue a while back, when I swapped in a new motor and PCM. A long with a New IP-insturment panel, BCM-body control module, SDM.Sensing And Diagnostic Module
All the units need to have the correct VIN-related info. Basically all units need to be synced together. Only way to do this was at the dealer with a Tech II and the correct software.

They were easy on me cost 75.00, took them 30mins.
I was able to access the SDM with another type of scan tool and clear the fault but it would return on the next power up.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

OK. I appreciate the posts guys. If I have them scan it, clear the codes, and have the VINs uniform across all computers will the light go away or is it something that I will be stuck with?
Thank,
Shane
Old 03-08-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
OK. I appreciate the posts guys. If I have them scan it, clear the codes, and have the VINs uniform across all computers will the light go away or is it something that I will be stuck with?
Thank,
Shane
Once the SDM see the correct vin it should go out and work just fine.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Fcars and vins are a non issue on VIN match. That is only on the newer stuff that it becomes an issue. Have someone with a scanner scan the airbag system and see what codes are present. Then go from there to correct it.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

Did You Change Clusters If You Did Need To Reset The Airbag Module With The Tech Ii?
Old 03-09-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Changing the cluster has no effect on the airbag module. All of the modules talk on the databus. If there is a problem with one of the modules operating parameters and it sets a dtc it then turns on the according lamp. If the SRS lamp is on it has a hard failure. It will have nothing to do with any other modules on the buss because the SDM does not communicate with any other modules on the data buss. The only modules that talk to each other on the buss in an f car platform are the pcm and the instrument panel cluster. The Vats is provided to the pcm via a hard wired input.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Yup clusters have been changed twice. Is the SRS light the same as the "Airbag" light? Are the lights different between the years? Either way my "Airbag" light is on and I will have the dealer scan the car and see if what it comes up with.

Thanks for the help guys and Ill definately keep the thread updated.
Shane
Old 03-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Did you have the steering shaft disconnected during the swap? If so and the steering wheel was somehow rotated 360 degrees while the shaft was disconnected, then the wire to the steering wheel airbag has probably broken. There is very little extra slack in this wire - just enough to allow lock-to-lock turning. The dealer SRS scan can isolate this as well as other problems.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF you change clusters, in a 99+ car, you may need the tech2 to clear the airbag code from the cluster. I had to do this for a friend when he swapped out for white face gauges and put a camaro cluster in a TA.

Ryan
Old 03-12-2008, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input guys. I will have a dealer scan it and run the codes. Im not sure if the steering shaft was disconnected but Im sure that could be a possibility.
Ill update the post after I get my car scanned.
Thanks,
Shane
Old 03-20-2008, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

updates!
Old 04-20-2008, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slow
IF you change clusters, in a 99+ car, you may need the tech2 to clear the airbag code from the cluster. I had to do this for a friend when he swapped out for white face gauges and put a camaro cluster in a TA.

Ryan

This guy is the one that is right !!! you don't have to go to the dealer, most mechanics have (or know somebody that have) a GM tech II and they will probably charge you between $60 to $100 to Sync all your modules and that will fix your problem my friend...

Old 04-21-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Fcars and vins are a non issue on VIN match. That is only on the newer stuff that it becomes an issue. Have someone with a scanner scan the airbag system and see what codes are present. Then go from there to correct it.
Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Changing the cluster has no effect on the airbag module. All of the modules talk on the databus. If there is a problem with one of the modules operating parameters and it sets a dtc it then turns on the according lamp. If the SRS lamp is on it has a hard failure. It will have nothing to do with any other modules on the buss because the SDM does not communicate with any other modules on the data buss. The only modules that talk to each other on the buss in an f car platform are the pcm and the instrument panel cluster. The Vats is provided to the pcm via a hard wired input.
This is correct. Both of my LS1 cars have mis-matched modules, and everything operates just fine.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Ryan

correct I just went thru this, I drove it a few weeks thinking it would go out but not until they used the Tech 2 to sync the clusters Vin
Old 05-10-2015, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Ryan

Hi !! I have the same problem putting a camaro cluster in my TA .. I should receive a TECH 2 soon ... Is there a tuto to do this ? or can you guide me how to do to ? simply clear the code of the cluster is enough ?

Quick Reply: LS1 Swap and airbag issue