General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Is your seat ripped? come in here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Is your seat ripped? come in here.

Like me, most of us with leather seats seems to have a rip if not yet then sooner or later it happens, on the drivers side seat. The area where you get out of the car and put pressure on the seat, about 3people I know locally with trans ams and camaros have this same issue but like all of us don't really wanna pay $200 to get this fixed. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas to help fix it, or at least conceal it? I was kinda thinking going with a pin and needle and actually throwing some thread thru the rip, then getting some tan colored spray paint and spraying over it to cover the rip up. or even ducttape then spraying, idk lol. Any ideas or anything someone did would help.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have cloth interior and mine is the same way... I'm just waiting for a bit and I'll probably get them recovered or the whole interior in leather..

As for a solution I'd say do it right so it looks right... Duct tape, staples, elmers glue or whatever else you're thinking about just won't look good and you know it.. If you can live with it then go for it..
Old 03-08-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

Take-off seat covers aren't hard to find. Just find someone parting out a car and ask that they remove the seat skin and ship it instead of the whole seat.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

How are you getting in and out of your car?? do you slide down in to your seat? I usually when I step in my right arm naturally grabs the wheel to give me some leverage to hover my *** to the seat cusion. I never ride the seat down like a stair way rail..

Anyway fix it right the first time, dont half *** it. Check bones yards to or people selling seats here. You dont need a whole set. Just buy a passenger side and swap the leather they are usually better condition.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 7901 WS6
How are you getting in and out of your car?? do you slide down in to your seat? I usually when I step in my right arm naturally grabs the wheel to give me some leverage to hover my *** to the seat cusion. I never ride the seat down like a stair way rail..

Anyway fix it right the first time, dont half *** it. Check bones yards to or people selling seats here. You dont need a whole set. Just buy a passenger side and swap the leather they are usually better condition.
I do exactly what you do and my car is now 10 years old with 80,000 miles and my seats are still almost mint. The previous owner was also very carful with the seats so I got lucky I guess no rips here
Old 03-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Launching!

Not an issue with my 98-SS. No rips here.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have some leather wear on mine at the edges, but no tears. Best way to take care of leather is to use leather care products to keep it a bit slippery as not to wreck it with friction and still keep it flexible for when you shift into the seat.

Getting in and out, try to tilt the wheel all the way up and if you are tight to the steering, try backing out the seat first before getting out so you have more maneuvering room. also try to park in a way that affords you the space to swing the door wide enough so you aren't in a position to shuffle over the seat to swing your legs out.

115K on mine and still good...
Old 03-09-2008, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is how I get out of my car but I bought the car with 75k miles and it was like this when I got it. It had and still has this tan patch on the rip I've driven with it last yr like that and just figured id ask if theres anything I could do before I bring the car out this year aha
Old 03-09-2008, 01:40 AM
11 Second Club

Just get new seats.

Cost be damned.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:40 AM
Launching!

my seats look brand new and the car is a 98 with 95 thousand miles and is a convertible, the rest of the interior is scratched all over but not the seats!
Old 03-09-2008, 05:55 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slvr00Bird
I have cloth interior and mine is the same way... I'm just waiting for a bit and I'll probably get them recovered or the whole interior in leather..

As for a solution I'd say do it right so it looks right... Duct tape, staples, elmers glue or whatever else you're thinking about just won't look good and you know it.. If you can live with it then go for it..
cloth seats are easy to fix. get some fabric glue, glue the rip back together with a thin strip of glue, then use a razor blade and scrap a small area of the headliner or another fabric that is short, soft and of the same color, collect the shavings, apply another very thin layer of glue on top of the previous layer and sprinkle the shavings of fabric over the glue.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Launching!

I also hold the side of the windshield with my left hand, being careful to not pull on the weather strippping.

When I exit, I put my left foot out, left hand down on the bottom door jamb, and pivot out, so my butt leaves the seat right away, instead of sliding on it.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my black leather is like that and I have black electrical tape over it, you really dont notice it unless you look for it
Old 03-09-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by johnnybravo
I also hold the side of the windshield with my left hand, being careful to not pull on the weather strippping.

When I exit, I put my left foot out, left hand down on the bottom door jamb, and pivot out, so my butt leaves the seat right away, instead of sliding on it.
Hot damn guys... You should enjoy the car a little, not be playing twister with it..
Old 03-09-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can find a good upholsterer, he may be able to repair it. It's possible to "re-stitch" it if the tear isn't too deep into the seat. Worst case is that he will simply grab new material. The bonus is that you can get the foam repadded too in the process to give your butt some support.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Hot damn guys... You should enjoy the car a little, not be playing twister with it..

LOL! Well, I do drive a little between the twister games...!
Old 03-09-2008, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Both the 98 Formulas I have had were fine (cloth) and the leather in my 97 TA I used to have was fine as well

The 93 Camaro I used to have (cloth) was another story

I always thought it detracted from the appearence of the car something terrible, I tried to no avail to find a nice used replacement for it, I think about a month after I sold the car someone locally had a mint set of exact replacement seats for $75

Argh

Day late and a dollar short
Old 03-09-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

before

after
Old 03-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Launching!

Anytime I played twister, I ALWAYS enjoyed it......

01SS, those seats look pretty good, did you buy those somewhere?
Old 03-09-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

sewed them myself, thanks for the compliment. i have only done a few in past but you kinda get the hang of it.

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 03-09-2008 at 10:05 PM.